Match Day 6: Colombia v Japan; Poland v Senegal; Russia v Egypt

Just now, Whiskeyjaak Blood-Drinker said:

That was crazy.

Seems like a pretty big mistake by the ref.  Right?

I would think so. 

Had I truly cared for my country, I would be furious. 

Anyway, General Krychowiak strikes for the Ordeal. The Zeum are in disarray!

2 minutes ago, Marko Antonivic said:

Cant really see blaming the refs on the Niang goal. He was waved on when the ball was still pretty much in Senegal’s box. 2 awful mistakes from Krychowiak and Szczesny are to blame. 

Think the idea is that the ref himself is supposed to wave him on, and he didn't.

That doesn't excuse the awful defending though, that goal should not have been happening whatever Niang did.

Great stuff from Senegal. Liked the fact that they didn't look to just pull everyone back and try to sit on their lead. Their defence did a good job at keeping Lewandowski quiet and Milik was quite poor as well. Most impressive performance thus far by an African side. 

I think it's just possible, call me crazy, that Russia will progress to the last 16.

8 goals in 2 matches. Ouch.

Okay, well, strictly speaking 7 goals, since 1 one of them was an OG. What's the record on most OGs in a tournament? We must be on track to hit it.

Well, the Russians had the benefit of being in what is arguably the weakest group of the tournament. But like I said in the regular football thread, a certain degree of enthusiams/euphoria can carry the host team quite some way. They have qualified for the k.o. stages, if they don't fall apart in their final group game things can get interesting.

9 hours ago, Man of the Tusk said:

I would think so. 

Had I truly cared for my country, I would be furious. 

Anyway, General Krychowiak strikes for the Ordeal. The Zeum are in disarray!

And the lions roared, and the descendants of Lech cried out in anguish. Damnation awaited, damnation caused by their own feet. There could only be one outcome, as ordained by the gods.

Yeah, by my reckoning, russia could still miss out, but it would require...

a) Saudi Arabia beat Uruguay tonight to join them on 3 points,

b) Saudi and Uruguay then win the last two games to join Russia on 6 points; and

c) Both somehow manage to overcome the huge lead on goal difference that Russia have.

And with Russia on +7 and Saudi currently on -5, they need to somehow overcome a 12 goal differential in 2 games to displace Russia.

12 hours ago, Yukle said:

I think it's just possible, call me crazy, that Russia will progress to the last 16.

8 goals in 2 matches. Ouch.

Okay, well, strictly speaking 7 goals, since 1 one of them was an OG. What's the record on most OGs in a tournament? We must be on track to hit it.

Realistically, Russia have already progressed to the last 16. Saudi Arabia are shit so there is absolutely no way they could overturn a 12 goal differential. It will take a miracle for them to beat Uruguay anyway. 

Archived