Video Games: Now with a Chance to Win a Complimentary Membership to Gambler's Anonymous

The Anti-Targ

17 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

What year is it? I can't remember what it used to be, but current version the earliest a crisis can start is 50 years after the endgame begins with a growing probability of crisis occurring the more time that passes. That being said, there always a possibility no crisis triggers if it doesn't roll. 

Edit: I just looked at your last screenshot and it said 2403. If the endgame is set to 2400 you probably won't get a crisis until 2450 at the earliest.

Mmh... I've seen descriptions of the triggers that made it seem like some of the Endgame Crisis Events can trigger as early as 150 years into the game. And indeed, the very fact that everyone in this galaxy is using jumpdrives or psi-jumpdrives did actually pay off... http://fs5.directupload.net/images/180716/9i9hs8sl.jpg

In the year 2025, the Unbidden came, saw and... glitched out.

Really, this endgame crisis was a major let-down. As you might be able to see, the Unbidden spawned as far away from my Empire as possible, up north where the symbol of the Canthari League is. At first I was fearing that I might not make it in time, given that all these borders were still closed... and yet the AI Empires acted cleverly and opened them right away. Proving once again, that the AI Empires are actually superior to the Awakened Empire. Because what did the Xo'Lukako do? Instead of turning into a guardian of the galaxy, they actually went and attacked the "Propitious Alliance", the huge Federation in the North that was busy fighting back the Unbidden. Fucking idiots. So when my fleet was confronting the first group of Unbidden raiders, the Canthari fleet that accompanied me suddenly pulled back to go after the Xo'Lukako and left me alone.

Well, I think I still did a decent job: http://fs5.directupload.net/images/180716/ghjue68g.png

Delighted by that early success, I destroyed their only anchor and then jumped with my entire fleet into the system with their dimensional portal. The Unbidden were obviously shitting bricks and recalled their entire armada, turning the system into a hellish battlefield: http://fs5.directupload.net/images/180716/bubdsy9d.jpg

With the Unbidden you have to keep your distance, but with so many sizeable attack groups converging on the 1st Legion, they soon got into a close-range fistfight in which I lost a huge chunk of my cruisers. With the 3rd Legion mopping up enemies from behind, it still looked like I was going to make it though... until those suckers built another anchor in some neighboring system, making the portal invulnerable again. Since I couldn't win without taking heavy losses and such a victory now seemingly being unimportant until I destroyed the anchor, I disengaged from the battle...

... and with that disengaged from the war for an entire year. Because remember, my fleet was at the other side of the galaxy... -.-

In this year I rebuilt the ships I lost, ordered a few more Gaia worlds (because I don't know what else to do with my energy - Megastructure apparently can only be built with DLCs installed - also I only just now realized that you can order your sectors to give you 75% of their monthly income, which is the reason why I have more ressources than know what to do with). Meanwhile the Xo'Lukako lost their war and were reduced to a single segment of their ringworld and the Unbidden ate 4 worlds before the Canthari fleet came back and started to casually mop up their scattered squadrons. Then I returned gloriously with the Roman navy, destroyed their anchor, overwhelmed the defenders at the portal and got my achievement that the invaders are swept entirely from the galaxy. Yay, free Unity!

But... you know, the portal is still there! Invulnerable as it is, it doesn't seem to have noticed that there are no more anchors. But the quest to destroy it has disappeared from my event log, together with everything Unbidden related.

Goddamn bugs...

Been playing a lot of three games right now...

Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 1- This a JRPG-ass JRPG, and holy hell does the story move at a snail's pace. I'm 40 hours in and the game mostly still feels like a prologue (and supposedly basically everything except literally the last 30 minutes of the game is like this, to set up the next three games in the series) I like most of the characters though, the worldbuilding is actually really well-done, and the combat is decent enough (also there's a turbo button that makes everything in-game go at 3x speed). 

Conan Exiles- Only survival game I've ever been able to get into; albeit I'm only playing the singleplayer off-line game. It helps that there's a pretty welldone (though sometimes buggy) breadcrumb trail that provides a decent amount of Conan lore and has a (barebones) story to follow.

Europea Universalis 4- Thanks to the steam sale I have 3 of the more "essential" DLC packs and am having fun doing an Ironman playthrough of the Timurids. I managed to keep all my rebellious vassals just happy enough that the whole empire didn't break apart as intended after Shah Rukh died. Instead, after 10 years (and releasing Afghanistan as an independent country to get my strength vs. vassal strength ratio low enough), I annexed Khorsan, Fars, and Sistan back into the empire proper (Transoxiana followed a few years later). I also won a series of wars against those traitors in Ajam, taking back cores each time, eventually vassalizing and then annexing them as well. And I worn a couple wars against minors on the Caspian Sea and Hormuz to take control of a couple of two extra centers of trade to jumpstart my economy.

It's now 1506 and I'm trying to figure out my next option. I've got permanent cores against Afghanistan and (thanks to completing Timuird missions) Deli, but both are my allies (along with the Qara Qoyunlu and Nogai, who also border me) and I generally feel bad about betraying my allies. I'll have to soon though. To the West are the Qara Qoyunlu who I definitely don't want to betray because they are such a nice buffer state against the Ottomans. To the North are just endless worthless steppe lands held by various hordes. And to the South I can keep taking Arabia for now, but only some of that land is worth anything; also, very soon I'll be bordering the Mamluks, who hate me. Also, the Mamluks (and Ottomans) have significant tech advantages, thanks to be being closer to Europe, which would make war very difficult. I'm more advanced than any of my neighbors, but the tech malus from not being in Europe is a real pain.

Got to play some Hollow Knight last night and the more I play the more I just love this game.  I've opened up most of the areas and am now using some guides to get some of the missing gems I missed out on while going through the first time.  I was able to get the hive one which allows me to heal up automatically, which has been nice for the areas that force the shitty platforming part.  Just wait until I recover and try again.  Will be heading to the Queen's Gardens next before I go to the Abyss and then start tackling the final and dream bosses.  I'm kind of surprised how much I've enjoyed it.

38 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Got to play some Hollow Knight last night and the more I play the more I just love this game.  I've opened up most of the areas and am now using some guides to get some of the missing gems I missed out on while going through the first time.  I was able to get the hive one which allows me to heal up automatically, which has been nice for the areas that force the shitty platforming part.  Just wait until I recover and try again.  Will be heading to the Queen's Gardens next before I go to the Abyss and then start tackling the final and dream bosses.  I'm kind of surprised how much I've enjoyed it.

I've been banging my head against the wall trying to do that last colosseum trial. I haven't been able to scrape up the geo for unbreakable strength either so every time I lose I have to dreamgate over and get my fragile strength repaired. At least I finally realized that as long as I don't rest at another bench I can just quit to menu and reload to get back to the coloseeum.

43 minutes ago, aceluby said:

I loved Hollow Knight for the first 20 hours. I explored every area to varying degrees (except for two), got lots of cool unlocks, and opened the way to the final boss. And then I found out what an insane grind it would be to get the good ending and just stopped playing. The game is great, but really overstays its welcome; especially since there's almost nothing else to unlock during that grind (I did have a ton of charms left to get, but I looked things up online; I already had all the best one for the build I was going for).

13 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Are you trying to imply Age of Mythology copied Warcraft 3 since it came out after it with that last sentence?  Which would be baffling since they came out 3 months apart and they wouldn't have been able to copy anything of value in that short of time.

Fair point. For some reason I had it in mind that WC3 was a 2003 release (that was Frozen Throne instead). Although there was certainly some cross-pollination between WarCraft (and Civ) and Age of Empires and back again.

Weird. Metal Wolf Chaos, a 2004 late-original X-Box game from FROM Software, is getting a remaster and re-release.

“By the end of the first quarter of the 21st century, freedom was dead in America.”

It's about the President of the USA, who has a battle mech, being usurped by the Vice-President, who also has a battle mech, and them kicking the hell out of each other.

I wish I liked DS3 as much as the other 2 and Bloodborne but it's just not the case. It's just missing IT.  It of course being the hard thing to define.  DS3 has the best gameplay of the Dark Souls's but everything else just seems to be sort of fan-fictiony.  I understand people don't like DS2 for its gameplay and some for the plot, but to me it stands out because of how nihillistic and depressing the world is.  Just different from most other games.   But it is something that makes it stand apart.  DS3 is just kind of there, trying to piggy back off DS1 but failing at everything.  I wish I liked it more than I do.

16 hours ago, RumHam said:

Anyone else pick up Octopath Traveler? Apparently they underestimated demand and physical copies are sold out. 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07/16/square-enix-issues-apology-for-underestimating-octopath-traveler-demand

I haven't gotten very far but it's cool so far. Really like the look of it. 

I've seen some negative reviews of it. The "eight paths" thing apparently backfires because the paths are all very samey.

26 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I've seen some negative reviews of it. The "eight paths" thing apparently backfires because the paths are all very samey.

Yup it seems to be town->dungeon->boss repeat. The gameplay is good though. I thought Bravely Default was too easy to be interesting but this game can actually be difficult and has turn based combat where even in random encounters you can't just mash A and expect to win. I probably won't do all eight paths but I'm really enjoying it five hours in. 

Cool. Age of Mythology Extended Edition has a 5-mission bonus campaign that was only previously available as a download from the developers' website. It introduces the 2 dwarves who randomly show up in the main campaign and explains what was going on with them whilst Team Arkantos was kicking butt elsewhere. I missed this at the time, so a nice bonus to get a few more missions from when the game was first made.

I've heard mixed things about the new Chinese campaign (which is next, before the Titan expansion campaign, for some reason).

On 7/16/2018 at 10:02 AM, Fez said:

Europea Universalis 4- Thanks to the steam sale I have 3 of the more "essential" DLC packs

Which ones are these? The only one I have right now is "Common Sense", because the game is dang near unplayable without it. But which other ones do you consider essential?

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Which ones are these? The only one I have right now is "Common Sense", because the game is dang near unplayable without it. But which other ones do you consider essential?

Well, I was going off of reddit, since I wasn't sure myself. I have Common Sense, Rights of Man, and Art of War.

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

Well, I was going off of reddit, since I wasn't sure myself. I have Common Sense, Rights of Man, and Art of War.

Thanks. Probably won't get them until the next Steam or Paradox sale though.

Good luck in your struggle against the Mamluks.

11 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I really, really recommend The Art of War. I'd say it's even worth full price. Check out the features and see if it's worth it for you.

It's been a while since I've EU4ed, but all this talk is making me think of starting another game...

11 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

It looks like I also have Mandate of Heaven, not sure when I got that. I think that one only really changes gameplay in China and East Asia, so it's an easy one to ignore if you don't play in that region.

And thanks, but the Mamluks are long gone now; crushed between the Ottoman blob from the north, a surprisingly strong Ethiopia from the south, and the Qara tribes from the east backed by me. I ended up getting into a series of wars in India (which included my vassal Afghanistan betraying me, making my annexation of them all the sweeter) and am now at the gates of Delhi. Once I take it and another province directly south of it, I'll have all the requirements to form the Mughal Empire and get those sweet CBs on everyone in the subcontinent. The only downside is that I don't think the Mughals can re-form the Yuan Empire in China, whereas staying as the Timurids I do have that ability. I'm not I can manage it this game, Ming is a serious superpower this playthrough, but it's a nice goal to have.

Archived