Video Games: Now with a Chance to Win a Complimentary Membership to Gambler's Anonymous

The Anti-Targ

Just now, Fez said:

By side-quests, do you mean witcher contracts and treasure hunts or do you mean the secondary quests? Because the former, yeah, definitely skip most of those unless you absolutely adore the combat system. But the later are basically the core of the game, at least for the first 3/4ths of it, so if you're not enjoying them, the game might not be for you.

Contracts and treasure hunts.... I don't think I completed many 'real' quests, just trying to find some things to fight and didn't really enjoy the controls.

14 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Contracts and treasure hunts.... I don't think I completed many 'real' quests, just trying to find some things to fight and didn't really enjoy the controls.

Okay, then yeah, I'd recommend giving it another shot. I think most people would agree that the combat and controls are not the game's strongest point. Personally, I just barely tolerated them as a way to get to the story; which I thought was fantastic. As a result, parts of my map were barely visible due to how many question marks were covering it, but I didn't care. I got 70 hours out of playing through the main story and nearly all the secondary quests and throughly enjoyed myself.

Also, if you were still in White Orchard, the game opens up significantly after you finish up there.

1 hour ago, aceluby said:

I played like 10 hours of the Witcher and nothing about it grabbed me.  Maybe I was doing to many of the side-quests too early, or should have ignored them since every one I did spawned like 10 more?  The same thing happens in Skyrim, but I felt like I wasn't really doing anything in the Witcher.  I don't know, but I'm thinking I should give it another try soon and focus on the main game and just ignore the side quests.

Some of the side-quests in the game are amazing, multi-hour storylines in their own right, setting up characters and plot developments vital to the story later on.

As above, if you mean the monster contracts and treasure hunts, they can be safely (mostly) ignored. You do get some better gear out of them and they do have some fun dialogue attached to them, but they are less important than the main storyline and story side-quests.

On 8/12/2018 at 3:59 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

What does that even mean? Does that mean that particular store has a slow turnover of PS4 Pros and so they are not bothering stocking that store with PS4 pros? Sony has certainly not stopped shipping PS4 Pros generally. Possibly there's a new PS4 Pro sku coming out for Christmas so maybe they've stopped shipping the current sku but not yet started shipping the new sku.

Well there is a limited edition 2TB PS4 Pro coming out to commemorate passing 500 million units sold.  They will offer 50,000 for sale online on August 24th.  I will try but pretty slim chances of getting one of those.  There is also the limited edition Spiderman bundle for the game's release.  The guy at Gamestop said the black PS4 Pros can still be found on their website.  So all is not lost in my hunt for a PS4 Pro.  I may wait until after I move in September to continue my search. 

On 8/11/2018 at 5:49 AM, Toth said:

Okay... so... how exactly does war work now in the Niven patch of Stellaris? Because currently I am a bit struggling with how the hell you are supposed to win shit.

Niven is the first version ive played.  But some of war mechanics are pretty wonky.  You have to be able to really mop the floor with someone for Subjugation or Vassalization to work out. 

And more annoyingly, you cant start a war for Subjugation with someone already at war.  So i conquered about 8 systems using the claim mechanic but didnt want to expand farther and over extend.  So made peace and knew id get locked into a 10 yr truce.  But then those fuckers decided to start a war with someone else and I had to spend an extra 4 years waiting for them to declare peace...with a total of zero border adjustments.  And then I was finally anle to demand vassalization and run them over.

It also helps to get the society techs for -10% war exhaustion. Not sure if theyre in your mod though.  But not having them makes a forced peace come more quickly.

11 hours ago, aceluby said:

Put down Wizard of Legend over the weekend.  Made it to the final boss a handful of times, but could just never take him down.  It's a pretty fun game, but it seems like there's a lot of luck involved.  Between drops, available arcana, and available relics I felt like there was just so many runs I made where nothing through 6 dungeons helped my build.

Started up Salt and Sanctuary and it took me quite a while to figure it out.  Ended up rage quitting on Friday night because no matter what I did I was just getting demolished.  Read a quick newbie how-to, swapped out my weapons, leveled up, did a few upgrades, and then it was pretty smooth sailing.  Tough, but fair.  Really, really enjoying it now; though I started out as a magic user to do a spell sword build and I'm now thinking it's not as viable as a plain sword user since you can only swap out 'sets' of weapons, not individual hands like Dark Souls.  Seems better to have a sword + shield or two hand a big sword w/ item buffs vs sword + wand/buffs.  So I'm just using the wand for kiting enemies to me.

I have been playing those same two games lately.  Really loving Salt and Sanctuary, wish I would have picked it up earlier.  There has been a couple of bosses that I just struggled very hard on, but, so far, I have been able to overcome them. 

Tomorrow I will be trying out Death's Gambit.  Looking forward to that.

9 hours ago, Werthead said:

Some of the side-quests in the game are amazing, multi-hour storylines in their own right, setting up characters and plot developments vital to the story later on.

While others include ridiculous things like a cheese-wizard.

15 hours ago, Durckad said:

@Toth I just want to say your Stellaris write ups are amazing and really make me want to play that mod. Holy shit does it sound fun.

Glad that I my shenanigans are entertaining! So I'm not wasting my time posting all these screenshots! :P

And yes, the mod is extremely cool! Despite the occasional hiccups and me doing a goddamn pacifist run, the Star Trek experience is real and strangely addicting. It'll be hard now that my holidays are over...

... especially since now my preparations for the anti-Borg expedition got into full swing. I'm upgrading a Starbase in a system bordering the current Borg territory to be a fleetyard with fleet academy so that I can build ships right where I need them. Utopia Planetia will stay my main construction center, but the Sol system is so far away that it takes years to reach the galactic core. Meanwhile I noticed that I have another fleet stationed at the border to the Orions that I had somehow forgotten about. Since the Orions are too busy being invaded by the Klingons, I don't need it there and pulled it back to support my Borg task force. Therefore I will now have three fleets being the Borg rapid response unit and two more fleets that are currently protecting my galactic core exploration: http://fs5.directupload.net/images/180814/nu4gnhpd.jpg

With five fleets of that size, I might have a slight fighting chance against the 75k doomstack that is currently spearheading the Borg advance into the Alpha quadrant. Despite it looking like a bunch of museum pieces because I'm never decomissioning any ships...

7 hours ago, mcbigski said:

It also helps to get the society techs for -10% war exhaustion. Not sure if theyre in your mod though.  But not having them makes a forced peace come more quickly. 

They are there and I've got them by now. Against the Romulans exhaustion was a non-issue, but I guess I'm going to need these technologies against the Borg. Thanks for you input, so at least I'm not the only one annoyed by these war mechanics. I really liked the old-fashioned warscore thing of the past patches better.

10 hours ago, Fiddler said:

I have been playing those same two games lately.  Really loving Salt and Sanctuary, wish I would have picked it up earlier.  There has been a couple of bosses that I just struggled very hard on, but, so far, I have been able to overcome them. 

Tomorrow I will be trying out Death's Gambit.  Looking forward to that.

Yeah, me too, because I've had a blast with it and even if I had gotten it on the PS4, I would have rebought it for the Switch.  Can't believe it was done by 2 guys.  Really puts some of these so-called "AAA" games to shame.  I'm about 1/2 way through right now and am already thinking about my next build, think I'm gonna try a pure mage.

16 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Another trailer for Total War: Three Kingdoms which gives us a glimpse of the campaign map.

They really are going hard in on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms novel with that lol.  Funnily enough that trailer is about the entirety of the character's story that the trailer is supposed to be about.  I never get why games tend to focus on Sun Jian given that in the novel hs is in maybe 4 chapters of a 120 chapter book right at the start only.

If the game were more historically based then I would agree with the Sun Jian choice as he is much more notable in history but they aren't.  Just weird. 

25 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

They really are going hard in on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms novel with that lol.  Funnily enough that trailer is about the entirety of the character's story that the trailer is supposed to be about.  I never get why games tend to focus on Sun Jian given that in the novel hs is in maybe 4 chapters of a 120 chapter book right at the start only.

If the game were more historically based then I would agree with the Sun Jian choice as he is much more notable in history but they aren't.  Just weird. 

They're doing both, so while the trailer seems more inclined towards the Romance campaign, Sun is a probably major faction in the historical campaign, too, with Sun Jian being the starting leader.

7 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Saw that on my FB feed.  Crazy delay and nothing about why.  Speculation is that it's because Nintendo won't start charging for network services until September, which is a shame.  I feel like if they would have done it for free for a few months and proved it out, those that were used to it would easily fork up the $$ for the paid services.  As it stands, I'll probably be playing it offline.

2 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Nothing new about a Sun Jian focus though. The Koei games, both the Dynasty Warriors and RotTK strategy game series, have always had a bit of a thing with him. The former giving him really good movesets with almost historically accurate outfits and the later giving him crazy good stats.

On 8/11/2018 at 8:11 PM, Meera of Tarth said:

Yes, it's fun. I'm still on my first mission, going very slooowly, and sometimes today  I wondered if my laptop is enough to play (since for some reason the weapons' option doesn't work as it should...although so far I've not needed it) but I guess I'll have to take my time.

Speaking of Star Trek Online, I have just seen that there is a free promo bundle on Humble Bundle that you can redeem if you have a Humble Bundle Account: https://www.humblebundle.com

Unfortunately, it can only be redeemed over Arc, so it's a hassle for Steam users like me. It also hasn't very interesting contents anyway. One costume and an XP boost pack, with the only really useful thing being a liberated Borg bridge officer.

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

They're doing both, so while the trailer seems more inclined towards the Romance campaign, Sun is a probably major faction in the historical campaign, too, with Sun Jian being the starting leader.

This. When you start a game you will be able to pick the "Romance" campaign, with amazing superpowered heroes, magical items and ahistorical costumes, and the "Historical" campaign, which is much more accurate to the actual period.

I suspect, given the massive focus on the "Romance" campaign so far, that they will be focusing on that in the marketing to interest the Warhammer crowd. The hope is, I think, that the "Historical" campaign won't be a phoned-in afterthought.

I am tempted by the Rise of Rome campaign to see if they've managed to fix Rome II's remaining faults. I am very impressed that CA have spent time and money fixing this game five years after release, instead of saying sod it and moving on, whilst still delivering lots of new content. Rumour is that we may even get some Warhammer III news before the end of the year as well, so that'll probably be a 2020 release (at the latest).

There's a new Jagged Alliance game coming out later this yearJagged Alliance: Rage. It looks like it's trying to be the XCOM to Jagged Alliance 2's X-COM. Hopefully it's as good.

If you're really old-skool, the remake of the original Bard's Tale is out now.

Phantom Doctrine picked up a weak review from RPS. Polygon's in-progress review is more positive and IGN's is pretty good (Gamespot are gushing over it). They all agree the game is pretty janky and it might be an idea to hold off and wait for it to be tightened up a bit in patches.

22 hours ago, Toth said:

Speaking of Star Trek Online, I have just seen that there is a free promo bundle on Humble Bundle that you can redeem if you have a Humble Bundle Account: https://www.humblebundle.com

Unfortunately, it can only be redeemed over Arc, so it's a hassle for Steam users like me. It also hasn't very interesting contents anyway. One costume and an XP boost pack, with the only really useful thing being a liberated Borg bridge officer.

oh thanks! just seen it. I made the account but then it doesn't say it's free. :o

I think this Friday, weekend or next week I could be returning to my game. I did very basic things: I scanned the planet, caught some weapons, practised, landed and now I have to rescue some people. Unfortunately, these people are "kind of being burnt" and my Emergency  tools don't work :P

They said that I had to scan something but I didn't know where. I visited several parts of the destroyed ship.

PS: I have to scan "Debris".

Archived