Video Games: Now with a Chance to Win a Complimentary Membership to Gambler's Anonymous

The Anti-Targ

4 hours ago, Fez said:

Nothing new about a Sun Jian focus though. The Koei games, both the Dynasty Warriors and RotTK strategy game series, have always had a bit of a thing with him. The former giving him really good movesets with almost historically accurate outfits and the later giving him crazy good stats.

Yeah I know but that's what I was questioning.  Well at least the Dynasty Warriors version. Historical Sun Jian and Sun Ce deserve the crazy high stats they get in the ROTK games.  Sun Jian was likely the best general in the Han in his time.  Problem is with making an "historical" Sun campaign with him as the starter is that he was always a subordinate, mostly to Yuan Shu and so should not be a group you can pick.  But I suspect CA will do what Koei always does for that in terms of ROTK and just fudge it so you can be them as a force.  Who knows maybe they will shock me and he will be a subordinate in a Yuan Shu campaign lol but I doubt it.

I watched an interesting Jim Sterling video yesterday about emulators. What are your thoughts on using emulators particularly for games that are no longer commercially available for gaming systems that have been commercially discontinued.

Emulators for these games are technically illegal. But I reckon copyright law needs to be updated to put a time limit on games such that if a game is no longer commercially available from the publisher, and the game platform is not longer in commercial production, after a certain number of years has elapsed that game's copyright allows for emulation and distribution. At the point where a game can no longer generate revenue for the publisher or original game platform, there are only petty reasons for a publisher and platform holder to take down emulators.

This is likely to only be an historical issue, because it seems highly likely that from here on consoles are going to be backwards compatible, and all current generation console games are available for digital purchase. So effectively that means all console games will perpetually be commercially available on the consoles digital storefront. And the same applies to the PC digital storefronts.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I watched an interesting Jim Sterling video yesterday about emulators. What are your thoughts on using emulators particularly for games that are no longer commercially available for gaming systems that have been commercially discontinued.

Emulators for these games are technically illegal. But I reckon copyright law needs to be updated to put a time limit on games such that if a game is no longer commercially available from the publisher, and the game platform is not longer in commercial production, after a certain number of years has elapsed that game's copyright allows for emulation and distribution. At the point where a game can no longer generate revenue for the publisher or original game platform, there are only petty reasons for a publisher and platform holder to take down emulators.

This is likely to only be an historical issue, because it seems highly likely that from here on consoles are going to be backwards compatible, and all current generation console games are available for digital purchase. So effectively that means all console games will perpetually be commercially available on the consoles digital storefront. And the same applies to the PC digital storefronts.

I tend to agree.  I’ve got a handful of emulated games from the NES/SNES era of gaming.  If they aren’t to be made available, I have no problem morally with “stealing” them.

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I don't really have an issue with piracy in general with the caveat that, if you like a game you pirate, you should buy it.  But if a game doesn't have a demo, I don't really see a problem with downloading it to try it and see if it's any good.  Seems practical to me.  If it sucks, you uninstall it without finishing it.  If it's great, you buy a real copy and play that one.

Some company I've never heard of bought the rights to Timesplitters, an FPS franchise made by a lot of the people who worked on Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Timesplitters 2 is one of my favorite co-op first person shooters. I actually almost bought Homefront: The Revolution because it contained two Timesplitters 2 levels as easter eggs. I'm kinda skeptical about a new game in the franchise made by different people, but a re-release of the second game would make me very happy and then very frustrated because man that robot level towards the end was hard. 

Ok....continuing my first "amateur mission" in Star Trek online I managed to scan Debris in the middle of nowhere, a part of the ship was there.

Now I have to shut off the plasma vents, I somehow did it but I have to do it twice. No idea how I did it, since now if I approach those dangerous things I get roasted. And I have to hurry up because I have to save a Doctor who is burning.

Ah.....how do I repair those things? 

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

Some company I've never heard of bought the rights to Timesplitters, an FPS franchise made by a lot of the people who worked on Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Timesplitters 2 is one of my favorite co-op first person shooters. I actually almost bought Homefront: The Revolution because it contained two Timesplitters 2 levels as easter eggs. I'm kinda skeptical about a new game in the franchise made by different people, but a re-release of the second game would make me very happy and then very frustrated because man that robot level towards the end was hard. 

Those were some of my favorite games.  Glad they're getting a 2nd showing.

On 8/14/2018 at 10:23 PM, Meera of Tarth said:

oh thanks! just seen it. I made the account but then it doesn't say it's free. :o

Mmh... it really shouldn't. At least if you click on the Humble Jackbox Bundle and then scroll all the way down to the little edit box where you are asked to insert your e-mail address to get a "FREE Humble exclusive for Star Trek Online!". But whatever. It is too much of a hassle anyway.

On 8/15/2018 at 7:47 PM, Meera of Tarth said:

Ok....continuing my first "amateur mission" in Star Trek online I managed to scan Debris in the middle of nowhere, a part of the ship was there.

Now I have to shut off the plasma vents, I somehow did it but I have to do it twice. No idea how I did it, since now if I approach those dangerous things I get roasted. And I have to hurry up because I have to save a Doctor who is burning.

Ah.....how do I repair those things? 

You are a Starfleet engineer! Do some engineering! I can't remember exactly how the first mission went, but if you can't interact with the plasma vents, there certainly must be a console nearby with which you can shut them down.

When in doubt, always look to your minimap. There is always a yellow arrow showing the direction or a yellow circle showing the direct position of your next objective. I also faintly remember that if you hit 'v' you can use your tricorder to let it show you a path, but I'm not sure whether that still works in the current version. It might be just showing crafting materials instead...

Nah, just use the minimap!

Almost done w/ my first playthrough of Salt & Sanctuary.  Have one optional boss and then the final boss left, but am going to max out my current weapon first before I do that.  Next will be a pure mage build, based on some of the things I've read you can really wreck w/ one, though the first couple hours can be ridiculously hard.  We'll see how it goes.

5 hours ago, Toth said:

You are a Starfleet engineer! Do some engineering! I can't remember exactly how the first mission went, but if you can't interact with the plasma vents, there certainly must be a console nearby with which you can shut them down.

But...I'm a not a well-trained Engineer!! :P 

There are consoles but when I approach them I get roasted xD

When in doubt, always look to your minimap. There is always a yellow arrow showing the direction or a yellow circle showing the direct position of your next objective. I also faintly remember that if you hit 'v' you can use your tricorder to let it show you a path, but I'm not sure whether that still works in the current version. It might be just showing crafting materials instead...

Nah, just use the minimap!

Mmmh. Thanks. I'll look at that. I somehow remember seeing "danger" at the top of my screen....especially when approaching the poor burning Doctor.....(just a memory I could be wrong) but I will look at the screen thoroughly next time searching the minimap....and try the 'v' thing.

Oh... just seen a screenshot I made when I was playing. I'll PM about that better because now I have other doubts...

Finished S&S yesterday and had no issues w/ the last 2 bosses, took me 2 times each, two handing a big 'ol sword.  Started up a new mage character and again gravitated toward a big sword with magic scaling until I get some better spells.  Will swap between the big sword for melee and a good staff for magic for this playthrough.  Haven't decided if I want to do black magic or a combo fire/ice.  Still have some time to decide that.  In the meantime I'm already where I was after ~15 hours my first time through in ~1 hour.

3 hours ago, aceluby said:

Finished S&S yesterday and had no issues w/ the last 2 bosses, took me 2 times each, two handing a big 'ol sword.  Started up a new mage character and again gravitated toward a big sword with magic scaling until I get some better spells.  Will swap between the big sword for melee and a good staff for magic for this playthrough.  Haven't decided if I want to do black magic or a combo fire/ice.  Still have some time to decide that.  In the meantime I'm already where I was after ~15 hours my first time through in ~1 hour.

Sweet.  I haven't finished it yet, just past the red cages area, but I am still enjoying the game.  I did beat the Nameless, the boss on the ship, finally yesterday.  It was a nice feeling.

I picked up Death's Gambit this week.  It is a 2D metroidvania/dark souls type game.  I haven't played it all the way through, but the game just isn't grabbing me.  I am not sure what it is, but the controls seem a little delayed and the movement seems stiff.  The game just doesn't feel smooth to me.  Other people seem to like it though.

Also re downloaded Binding of Isaac and Darkest Dungeon to my PS4, thanks to Northernlion on youtube, and have been enjoying both of those as much as before.  Just waiting around for Black Ops 4 and Fallout 76 to release.

Paradox announced today that a version of Stellaris is coming to Xbox One and PS4. Curious what they'll have to do to make it manageable with a controller. That game just ate a sizable portion of my weekend and I regret nothing. 

7 hours ago, RumHam said:

Paradox announced today that a version of Stellaris is coming to Xbox One and PS4. Curious what they'll have to do to make it manageable with a controller. That game just ate a sizable portion of my weekend and I regret nothing. 

Maybe the console porting company will find ways to eliminate the late game slowdown. That could benefit PC players too. 

I must say that I dislike the direction the game has taken though. The fact that the devs seem to ignore AI problems completly is a bit sad.

18 minutes ago, Wolfgang I said:

Maybe the console porting company will find ways to eliminate the late game slowdown. That could benefit PC players too. 

I must say that I dislike the direction the game has taken though. The fact that the devs seem to ignore AI problems completly is a bit sad.

Yeah, I'm dealing with that slowdown now and it sucks. I like most of the 2.0 changes and haven't read anything about the A.I. problems. I guess I just thought I was really lucky. Though I did notice a marauder empire announced they were raiding me and their ships never showed up. Like 70 years later they still claimed to be raiding me just before I invaded and destroyed them.  

33 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Yeah, I'm dealing with that slowdown now and it sucks. I like most of the 2.0 changes and haven't read anything about the A.I. problems. I guess I just thought I was really lucky. Though I did notice a marauder empire announced they were raiding me and their ships never showed up. Like 70 years later they still claimed to be raiding me just before I invaded and destroyed them.  

I only play on max. difficulty with all AIs set to advanced start and the challenge level dropped incredibly between 1.9.1 and 2.0. 2.0.2 introduced further changes that made it even worse. Probably not that noticeable if you are not a filthy min/max player like me.

1 hour ago, Wolfgang I said:

I only play on max. difficulty with all AIs set to advanced start and the challenge level dropped incredibly between 1.9.1 and 2.0. 2.0.2 introduced further changes that made it even worse. Probably not that noticeable if you are not a filthy min/max player like me.

I didn't even know there was a difficulty setting. Though this is probably only my fifth game since it came out and it's gotta be the closest I've ever come to winning. I'm just hoping the end game crisis (I've researched sapient AI and jump drive already) spawns in the awakened empire and not in my glorious pac-man shaped federation. 

I continued a little bit my first amateur STO mission. I managed to use my weapons against some Taureans who wanted to kill us and do some engineering as well, and it felt great.  Maybe one day I'll finish it...

Archived