Video Games: Now with a Chance to Win a Complimentary Membership to Gambler's Anonymous

The Anti-Targ

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

Getting close to finishing my first Ironman run in EUIV. The glorious imperial Commonwealth of Poland-Lithuania controls everything from Pommeria/Silesia/Moldovia in the West, to northeastern Sweden in the North, to Georgia in the South, to Mongolia in the East. Its in the 1740s and I'm probably going to be spending the rest of the game in a series of wars against the Ottomans trying to break them. I've been allied to Austria and Brandenburg since the beginning of the game, which has been extremely helpful in securing my European border. I know people on the internet have had much more impressive games, but I'm happy with how well I've done. I am the number one great power by a decent margin, and I think if the game didn't end in 1820 I would eventually be able to take down France, Great Britain, and Ming China; the only other superpowers besides me and the Ottomans.

Nice.

One of my favorite late game pastimes is trying to break up the Ottoman Empire. Freeing Greece, Egypt, Syria, and others is always fun.

I've been wanting to start a new one myself lately, but the new update comes out in 2 weeks, and it seems pointless until then.

10 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Nice.

One of my favorite late game pastimes is trying to break up the Ottoman Empire. Freeing Greece, Egypt, Syria, and others is always fun.

I've been wanting to start a new one myself lately, but the new update comes out in 2 weeks, and it seems pointless until then.

Yeah I'm trying to wrap this one up before the new update, because i'm pretty sure those big updates break Ironman saves (at least, that happened the last time around to me, ended up dropping a Florence campaign in the 1730s).

Looks like Supermassive (maker of Until Dawn) is coming out with an anthology of horror games. First one is called Man of Medan. The trailer looks good. Looks an awful lot like Until Dawn. Won't complain about that as I thought that game was 8 hours of entertainment and jump moments that I hadn't experienced in a game for some time.

Via GamesRadar

A 48 minute, NSFW (nudity, language, violence) gameplay reveal of CDPR's Cyberpunk 2077. CDPR had shown it privately to journalists, but after much begging have put it out but with a lot of emphasis on the fact that the game is far from being finished (even if it is 95% playable at this stage) because there's lots of stuff being tinkered with and things like UIs, weapons, quests, etc. can change by the time it comes out.

It looks stunning, especially the city teeming with crowds of people going about their business, but of course one note of caution is that CDPR has been known to aim high and then have to pull back stuff like graphics before release when it doesn't all come together. IIRC, Witcher 3's early demos showed a lot more NPCs going about their day in towns as well. That said, I also read that CDPR has said they have worked very carefully on making sure the game scales for consoles.

3 hours ago, Ran said:

A 48 minute, NSFW (nudity, language, violence) gameplay reveal of CDPR's Cyberpunk 2077. CDPR had shown it privately to journalists, but after much begging have put it out but with a lot of emphasis on the fact that the game is far from being finished (even if it is 95% playable at this stage) because there's lots of stuff being tinkered with and things like UIs, weapons, quests, etc. can change by the time it comes out.

It looks stunning, especially the city teeming with crowds of people going about their business, but of course one note of caution is that CDPR has been known to aim high and then have to pull back stuff like graphics before release when it doesn't all come together. IIRC, Witcher 3's early demos showed a lot more NPCs going about their day in towns as well. That said, I also read that CDPR has said they have worked very carefully on making sure the game scales for consoles.

I'm very excited for this game. 

I saw the video title of a youtuber I follow read "CDPR Apologizes for Insensitive Joke" so I watched. 

As a filthy tranny myself, when I discovered the "trans phobic" comment that had initiated the whining my face hit my hands so hard I got a black eye. 

This is why we can't have nice things. A great looking game with a exciting ideas being 'boycotted' over nothing. Meanwhile the new Call of Duty game will sell a shitzillion copies. 

6 hours ago, RumHam said:

Into the Breach randomly came out on Switch today. Great game if anyone hasn't played it. 

It is... kind of.  Not much replayability sadly.  Fun for the first 10 or so runs though.

10 hours ago, Slurktan said:

It is... kind of.  Not much replayability sadly.  Fun for the first 10 or so runs though.

Replayability is great but not a requirement I think for a great game. I definitely did way more than ten runs on the PC version. But yeah especially compared to FTL Into the Breach is lacking in that regard. I do hope they do an expansion down the line. 

On 8/28/2018 at 6:59 PM, Ran said:

Unfortunately they couldn't make the game look as good on PS4 and XB1 as the early demos on PC indicated, and rather than annoy Sony and Microsoft by making the PC version look fifty times better (as opposed to the mere ten times better the final version is), they downgraded the visuals.

CB77 is apparently being partially planned as a crossover title (to launch on the upgraded PS4 and XB1 with new versions for the PS5 and XB2 a year or two later) which means that there should be no graphical downgrade. Running this game on an nVidia 2080ti in 4K should be beyond impressive.

So I buckled down and have beaten the Banner Sagas in many ways.  The most satisfying ending I have gotten thus far might not be what you think.  Big ending spoilers!

If you killed off the Dredge baby in Banner Saga 1, when you go make peace with the Dredge in 3 Rook will get murdered (presumably Alette as well if saved in 1 with that choice but I haven't done that yet).  You then play as Odd for the rest of the game in the Aberrang parts.  Anyways if you get a good ending, there is an honestly beautiful scene with Rook, Alette, and Rook's wife in the afterlife.  Then back n Aberrang you find out Rook knocked up Oddleif.  I wonder if you didn't do the romance option as Rook if there is anything different there (or if you took Alette). 

My gf watched me play Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 on my PC and wants to play both games now. 

She does not want to play on the PC though and we own only a Switch and a PS3(only used as dvd/blue ray player) . Should I buy a PS4 Pro or a Xbox One X?

From what I read the unoffical patch for Fallout 4 is better on the Xbox. That mod is the only one I could not play without because.... BETHESDA... 

47 minutes ago, Wolfgang I said:

My gf watched me play Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 on my PC and wants to play both games now. 

She does not want to play on the PC though and we own only a Switch and a PS3(only used as dvd/blue ray player) . Should I buy a PS4 Pro or a Xbox One X?

From what I read the unoffical patch for Fallout 4 is better on the Xbox. That mod is the only one I could not play without because.... BETHESDA... 

I'm an Xbox owner and I'd say go PS4 they have better exclusives. 

Has she played / seen Skyrim? cause they do have that for Switch. I understand it's not as good as Witcher 3 though.

22 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Has she played / seen Skyrim? cause they do have that for Switch. I understand it's not as good as Witcher 3 though.

Skyrim on the Switch is her current game and she loves the game although she misses Breath of the Wild Style climbing/gliding. She already had a few encounters with rage quit causing bugs though and I think she would prefer playing a version with the unoffical patch too.

3 hours ago, Wolfgang I said:

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

I'm a PS4 owner, and for those games, and other 3rd party games with an active modding community, I'd say Xbox one X. Because Sony is a dick when it comes to allowing mods.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the PS exclusives, Sony's dickish behaviour when it comes to mods and cross-platform play I'd have converted to being a fully PC only player. But I can't let go of those exclusives.

If anyone is interested: Warhammer 40k: Space Marine is currently given away for free at Humble Bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/warhammer-40000-space-marine

This is certainly an awesome present! I always wanted to play it since it came out and waited for it to be offered in a bundle, but for some reason it never appeared. And now it's free!

If you want some hours of mindless fun in a 3rd person shooter where you can only heal by messily murdering stuff, this is the game for you! Also for everyone with a passing interest in the 40k-universe. It might have a fairly generic story, but alongside DoW2 I always thought it portrayed Space Marines the best.

Archived