Video Games: Now with a Chance to Win a Complimentary Membership to Gambler's Anonymous

The Anti-Targ

Played through Salt and Sanctuary 5 times now and have fallen for this game like I did DS1 & 2.  First run was with a pure strength/heavy armor character, then did a pure mage that just wrecks everything, then did a faith based with a big hammer, then a dex based with a Tachi, and finally a battle mage with arcane weapon.  Not sure if I'll try a different build next or take one of these into NG+ finally, but I really loved this game way more than I thought, especially after rage quitting about 2 hours into my first playthrough.

On 8/28/2018 at 7:59 PM, Ran said:

A 48 minute, NSFW (nudity, language, violence) gameplay reveal of CDPR's Cyberpunk 2077. CDPR had shown it privately to journalists, but after much begging have put it out but with a lot of emphasis on the fact that the game is far from being finished (even if it is 95% playable at this stage) because there's lots of stuff being tinkered with and things like UIs, weapons, quests, etc. can change by the time it comes out.

It looks stunning, especially the city teeming with crowds of people going about their business, but of course one note of caution is that CDPR has been known to aim high and then have to pull back stuff like graphics before release when it doesn't all come together. IIRC, Witcher 3's early demos showed a lot more NPCs going about their day in towns as well. That said, I also read that CDPR has said they have worked very carefully on making sure the game scales for consoles.

That does look very impressive. And almost to good to be true. The graphical stuff looks fantastic and it's nice to see some daytime cyberpunk for a change. The shooting looks a bit weightless, which is something I generally find to be a problem in RPG-FPS hybrids, and the UI is a bit messy. Both otherwise the gameplay looks really cool. I have also always liked when you get to choose a background and background elements during character-creation, so I'm happy to see that here.

The writing seems kinda awful though, with the dialogue being really cringy. And while do like the idea of having a sidekick helping you out, the one in the video was just really annoying. Overall the player character just seems like kind of a scumbag.

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

Overall the player character just seems like kind of a scumbag.

Scummy player characters is kind of super-common these days, and you have to look at CP2077 as coming out of the Cyberpunk 2020 RPG which actually aimed at being very much a dark, gritty film noir-flavored cyberpunk setting. Which means grimy, punk anti-heroes.

ETA: Huh. Night City is located right around my beloved Monterey. I had no idea. I wonder if the game world will catch glimpses of old "historical" areas, doubtless slums at this point. 

21 minutes ago, Ran said:

Scummy player characters is kind of super-common these days, and you have to look at CP2077 as coming out of the Cyberpunk 2020 RPG which actually aimed at being very much a dark, gritty film noir-flavored cyberpunk setting. Which means grimy, punk anti-heroes.

ETA: Huh. Night City is located right around my beloved Monterey. I had no idea. I wonder if the game world will catch glimpses of old "historical" areas, doubtless slums at this point. 

Yeah I get that. It's just that I feel like it can get in the way of the roleplaying aspects. Like, I get and accept that Geralt has a certain voice and personality in the the Witcher games, because he's a already established character. But here it feels like I'm getting some of that on what is supposed to be your own character that you get to create yourself.

Or maybe I just shouldn't judge this kind of thing of gameplay video several years ahead of the release of the game.

6 hours ago, Toth said:

If anyone is interested: Warhammer 40k: Space Marine is currently given away for free at Humble Bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/warhammer-40000-space-marine

This is certainly an awesome present! I always wanted to play it since it came out and waited for it to be offered in a bundle, but for some reason it never appeared. And now it's free!

If you want some hours of mindless fun in a 3rd person shooter where you can only heal by messily murdering stuff, this is the game for you! Also for everyone with a passing interest in the 40k-universe. It might have a fairly generic story, but alongside DoW2 I always thought it portrayed Space Marines the best.

It's a very solid and fun game. Not a lot of depth, but what is there is highly enjoyable. Someone - I think RPS - called it the "best 7/10 game ever made" and they may be right.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Apparently Mike Pondsmith says no -- the old CP2020 map placed Night City a bit wrong, and in fact its origins are the small city of Morro Bay. Which I've never been to, but it's central California coastal, so it's lovely too.

16 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

That opening montage of action reminds me of the Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Bucher Bay game.

Which is good because that game was incredible.

Ah that game was fun. I got it for free a few years ago and I was more than pleasantly surprised. Never finished the 2nd game though.

Just now, Wolfgang I said:

Ah that game was fun. I got it for free a few years ago and I was more than pleasantly surprised. Never finished the 2nd game though.

Same, as far as the sequel. It was fine, I just petered out on it.

23 hours ago, RumHam said:

I'm an Xbox owner and I'd say go PS4 they have better exclusives. 

Though bear in mind that the amount of true PS4 exclusives is decreasing pretty rapidly these days. They still have some great ones (e.g. everything Naughty Dog does, Horizon Zero Dawn, etc.) but part of what the PS4 so appealing was all the Japanese games that were only coming there as well. But now that Japanese developers have finally realized how much money was waiting for them in the PC market, they are rapidly porting their games over. 

On the other hand, I don't think there are any Xbox exclusives at all that aren't also on PC, except for Halo games.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Same, as far as the sequel. It was fine, I just petered out on it.

The sequel just didn't have anywhere near as compelling characters or bad guys, and the subpar gameplay was much better suited for the heavier melee focus in the first game.

A bunch of ex-Bullfrog staff have gotten together - thankfully sans Peter Molyneux - and basically made a new Theme Hospital. For copyright reasons it's called Two Point Hospital and it's apparently fantastic. Good news, especially after some other ex-Bullfroggers made Satellite Reign a couple of years back that was a spiritual successor to Syndicate that was also excellent.

Holding out hope that they'll now make a proper, modern Dungeon Keeper because that would be incredible.

On 8/29/2018 at 1:47 AM, Slurktan said:

It is... kind of.  Not much replayability sadly.  Fun for the first 10 or so runs though.

Into the Breach is my go to tablet on the toilet game, so plenty of replayability for me.  Still trying to get a perfect playthrough but I always lose civilians somewhere.

Playing a game of Stellaris right now and three things popped up that were noteworthy.  One frustrating, one bizzare, and one just ridiculous.

I was playing as a life seeded race, so start on a Gaia world, but have pretty much no other habitability.  Two jumps away I discover Sol.  Great, let's bring these monkeys up from the middle ages and have them settle a bunch of worlds for the Cynur State.  About 25% of the way to enlightment, I get the xenophobic humans are rejecting their alien benefactors, sets the project back 20%.  Then it happened again at about 25%.  Then another time at 25%.  I got the Mardok whatever Gaia planet event so I had one other system settled, but that point I almost rage quit thinking it was some sort of rotten Easter Egg that you could never enlighten a Human civilization.

Time goes on, and I make a Federation with my other Spiritual neighbor.  Eventually I'm exploring the other side of the galaxy and I find a one system civilization that borders on a Fallen Empire/Stagnant Ascendacy.  So every ten years or so, the fallen empire declares war on them, curb stomps them, and Humiliates them.  Lately the civ on the other side of the border has started declaring them a Protectorate, then withdrawing that, then doing it again.  I thought they'd get their asses kicked by the Fallen Empire too, but that doesn't appear to be happening.  Can't figure out how that civ got founded that close to a Fallen Empire, or why they don't just get orbitally bombarded into a tomb world.  How did that happen?

At this point, it's approaching the end game.  I've smashed all my angry neighbors, there are almost no unclaimed systems on the map, and while I'm a bit smaller than my Federation mate, we're the strongest non fallen empire.  So it's my turn to run the Federation and there was a marauder/mercenary whatever you call them group on their far border.  I noticed we had a 70k fleet just sitting around (while I only had 3 20k fleets myself - must be some good AI bonuses on Admiral level?).  So I decided to run over the raiders.  That fleet made short work of them, and I sent a couple of science ships to scan the wreckage.  Get an anomaly, and I find out that the Ransomeers have captured some of my citizens and are holding them with a 225 power fleet.  I laughed so much, but my nearest fleet is 500 days away...(The Federation leadership rotated just after I finished wiping out the marauders.

Hoping I get an end game crisis.  still haven't seen one. 

I decided to do a Witcher 1-3 run and I'm in the middle of the first game and I had forgotten how dark the whole children kidnapping subplot is. 

I know a lot of people disliked the combat system but I find group fights incredible fun because enemies gang up on you and you can make them pay for it with the group combat style. Much more fun than combat which forces you to focus on one enemy at a time. 

It is also great that there is an incredible difference between entering a fight well prepared and buffed and going in unprepared. Pre-buffing is fun to me and a lot of modern games make it difficult by disabling abilities out of combat or shortening buff duration. In Witcher 1 most potions last a long time and the sword oils even longer. 

Nothing is as fun as stacking all possible sign intensity bonuses though. *sets everything on fire*

I recently traded my Switch with my mate for his PS4 so I could play Last of Us and it didnt disappoint. What an incredible game. Some really brutal story sequences along with some great fight sequences. Might have to buy a PS when last of us 2 comes out because that incredible as well.

Following on the back of that, I bought God of War and it’s great. Beautiful game with a compelling story and interesting gameplay. Played a lot of hours today and wanted to keep going. I’m generally not a big gamer but this run I’m on is very enjoyable.

Also thanks for posting that Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay above. That game looks right up my alley.

On the PS4. Does anyone know why it was designed so that when playing DVDs x is the pause/unpause button, but when playing Blu-rays o is the pause/unpause? Other than slowly driving people insane that is.

I mean, if that was the reason it was set up that way, fine. Mission accomplished.

13 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

On the PS4. Does anyone know why it was designed so that when playing DVDs x is the pause/unpause button, but when playing Blu-rays o is the pause/unpause? Other than slowly driving people insane that is.

I mean, if that was the reason it was set up that way, fine. Mission accomplished.

People actually watch DVD's?  I'm sure it's an oversight that sucks for the 3 people that watch DVD's.

18 hours ago, Slurktan said:

People actually watch DVD's?  I'm sure it's an oversight that sucks for the 3 people that watch DVD's.

There's some stuff that's only available on DVD and isn't on streaming (particularly any older British show shot on video), but yeah, in 2018 it feels like a relatively small problem.

Then again, when I was selling HD TVs, the number of people who spent hundreds of pounds on a full HD flatscreen TV and then angrily refused to consider a Blu-Ray player because their DVD player was "fine" did make me despair. The equivalent of buying a Ferrari to do the weekly shop.

If someone has a large enough DVD collection, I think its totally reasonable for them to not have invested in upgrading all of it to Blu-Ray yet. Hell, my mom still has a couple hundred VHS tapes she watches regularly. Although, in fairness, a lot of those are old movies taped off TCM and the like and were never released for sale at all.

Archived