Video Games: Now with a Chance to Win a Complimentary Membership to Gambler's Anonymous

The Anti-Targ

36 minutes ago, Fez said:

If someone has a large enough DVD collection, I think its totally reasonable for them to not have invested in upgrading all of it to Blu-Ray yet. Hell, my mom still has a couple hundred VHS tapes she watches regularly. Although, in fairness, a lot of those are old movies taped off TCM and the like and were never released for sale at all.

Yeah, and like I said there is just stuff out there not available on Blu-Ray. In fact, in the UK we have this ridiculous problem where Blu-Ray sales are so variable that series are being released on DVD and not even getting a Blu-Ray release. For example, The Leftovers got a Season 1 Blu-Ray release but not Season 2 or Season 3. You have to order the Scandinavian complete series box set (which has English packaging and default voice track, apparently) to get it. For people who don't want to do that, they're stuck with DVDs.

On 9/5/2018 at 11:05 AM, Fez said:

If someone has a large enough DVD collection, I think its totally reasonable for them to not have invested in upgrading all of it to Blu-Ray yet. Hell, my mom still has a couple hundred VHS tapes she watches regularly. Although, in fairness, a lot of those are old movies taped off TCM and the like and were never released for sale at all.

I easily have 250 DVDs that I never plan on converting to Blu-Ray.

But I really thought everyone just used start to pause/unpause movies.  Didn't even think to use anything else since it's been that way since PS2 days.

On 9/4/2018 at 3:04 PM, Mexal said:

I recently traded my Switch with my mate for his PS4 so I could play Last of Us and it didnt disappoint. What an incredible game. Some really brutal story sequences along with some great fight sequences. Might have to buy a PS when last of us 2 comes out because that incredible as well.

Following on the back of that, I bought God of War and it’s great. Beautiful game with a compelling story and interesting gameplay. Played a lot of hours today and wanted to keep going. I’m generally not a big gamer but this run I’m on is very enjoyable.

Also thanks for posting that Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay above. That game looks right up my alley.

It's got some hidden depth too. Don't open until after you have finished the game:

Spoiler

The image of Atraeus hold a dying Kratos you see in Jotunheim is very suggestive that Kratos is Tyr, because Kratos' right had has been cut off, which is what happens to Tyr.

We still have and sometimes buy DVDs. I don't think the need for DVD playback devices is going to go away any time soon. And it will be a royal pain the the arse if the next console generation doesn't have a disc drive, or if the drive is Blu-ray only. It's somewhat of a disappointment that PS4 doesn't play CDs. If PS5 is fully backwards compatible with PS4 then there would be no reason to keep my PS4 and I can gift it to my brother, which is where my PS2 and 3 went, who is too poor to be able to buy consoles. But if I have to keep my PS4 just to be able to play DVDs, that will be very annoying.

Really enjoying Two Point Hospital. It's made by ex-Bullfroggers, many of whom worked on Theme Hospital back the 1990s. It's absolutely brilliant, it really is Theme Hospital 2018 and makes you remember why Bullfrog were one of the greatest video game developers of that decade. I really hope they go off and knock out spiritual successors to Dungeon KeeperTheme Park World and Powermonger now (since a bunch of other ex-Bullfroggers have already re-done Syndicate as Satellite Reign).

The "choose the next mission" screen seems to be based on the graphical style of Godus, which I can only imagine is a massive double finger to Peter Molyneux for not managing to get his Populous reboot done despite having six years to do so, and they knocked this (far superior) game out in under two.

There is a Battlefield V beta! I almost never turn on my Xbox for anything but HBO go anymore but this was a nice surprise. I'm a huge fan of the franchise but the last one lost me with it's WWI-ness. I still put probably 60-100 hours into it but nearly as much as BF3 and 4, I didn't ever play the DLC. maps. This is really great but then so was Battlefield One at first.

Very glad this one has the spawn beacon back. That thing is the best if you know good hiding spots for it. I love the tension of trying to slip through the enemy lines undetected to hide one deep in their territory. Besides why face the enemy head on when you can spawn behind them and shoot them in the back?

On 9/7/2018 at 10:54 AM, The Anti-Targ said:

It's got some hidden depth too. Don't open until after you have finished the game:

Reveal hidden contents

The image of Atraeus hold a dying Kratos you see in Jotunheim is very suggestive that Kratos is Tyr, because Kratos' right had has been cut off, which is what happens to Tyr.

I didn't even notice that. Good call.

Finished the main part of the story for God of War and thought it was really good. Highly recommend it to anyone with a PS4.

6 hours ago, Mexal said:

I didn't even notice that. Good call.

Finished the main part of the story for God of War and thought it was really good. Highly recommend it to anyone with a PS4.

I didn't notice it either. It was in a video I came across on Youtube after having finished the game. One of those "10 things" videos about what you may have missed (story / theme-wise not loot-wise) when playing God of War.

A few years late, I’ve discovered Cities: Skylines. I have a wonderful city called “Shitstain” and I’m very proud of its progress.

It has the same addictive quality as Civ, wherein you’re always making progress and there’s always something else to do. I’m glad I only started after I graduated.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:12 PM, aceluby said:

Bought Xenogears Chronicles 2 over the weekend.  Pretty standard JRPG that's scratching an old-school itch for me.  Some really weird complexities that seem to be unnecessary, but enjoying it so far.

I know that's a typo and you meant Xenoblade Chronicles 2; but I've never really looked into the games.  They don't have any tie to Xenogears do they?

I loved Xenogears and mostly liked XenoSaga the "spiritual prequel" but would really love to see something more from that universe.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I know that's a typo and you meant Xenoblade Chronicles 2; but I've never really looked into the games.  They don't have any tie to Xenogears do they?

I loved Xenogears and mostly liked XenoSaga the "spiritual prequel" but would really love to see something more from that universe.

Shit, have done that a few times.  Yeah, I me Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Xenoblade is the 'spiritual successor', from the wiki.  Instead of the turn based it's more action based with QTE interspersed.  It's surprisingly hard, but really fun so far.  Lots of cutscenes and dialog though.

They announced a Playstation classic but I'm having a hard time thinking of any PSX games I really loved that haven't already been remastered/re-released on other platforms. I think Squaresoft games, Metal Gear Solid and the Resident Evil series might have been all I really played on the original Playstation. 

10 minutes ago, RumHam said:

They announced a Playstation classic but I'm having a hard time thinking of any PSX games I really loved that haven't already been remastered/re-released on other platforms. I think Squaresoft games, Metal Gear Solid and the Resident Evil series might have been all I really played on the original Playstation. 

I agree. They announced FF7 but I'd also assume FFT, and Chrono Cross.  Crash Bandicoot I guess? Symphony of the Night.  For shits and giggles I hope it gets Masters of Teras Kasi.

Archived