Video Games: Now with a Chance to Win a Complimentary Membership to Gambler's Anonymous

The Anti-Targ

On 9/22/2018 at 3:40 PM, Red Tiger said:

Eh, I never liked their games, so I don't give a shit, to be honest.

Sekiro and Devil May Cry are looking better and better. In the case of DMV im not a big fan of how Trish looks, but overall I think it looks great.

Have you tried Nioh yet?

I picked up They Are Billions on a whim this weekend and holy hell is it good. Finally an RTS where the only way to win is to turtle up. There's no multiplayer (yet, anyway, its in early access still), its you building a base to survive against hordes of zombies. There's a set number that start on the map (with more further away from where you start) and increasing number of hordes that come from outside the map at set intervals. The goal is to survive 100 game days (or more days on easier settings, there's the same number of hordes so more days spaces them out more) and its all about building up walls and towers to protect your growing base; slowly expanding outwards with additional defenses.

Its also crazy hard. My first game, on the default difficulty settings, I got demolished on day 21. My second game, I knocked the settings down one peg, and made it to day 115 (out of 120 on that setting), but the final horde was unlike anything before it and I got destroyed. Apparently, the game can currently model up to 20,000 units on screen, and it seemed like everything single one was gunning for me. I'm trying game three on the same settings now.

9 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Yeah, but at the same time it's areas and enemy variety is horrible.

Enemies are definitely a fair critique, though IIRC it gets better as you play through.  I do like the level design though.  They make pretty good use of vertical space and shortcuts, which drew me in.  I also like that you can replay levels that you like or had good drops.  It was like a cross between Diablo and Bloodborne, which are two of my faves.  

2 hours ago, aceluby said:

Enemies are definitely a fair critique, though IIRC it gets better as you play through.  I do like the level design though.  They make pretty good use of vertical space and shortcuts, which drew me in.  I also like that you can replay levels that you like or had good drops.  It was like a cross between Diablo and Bloodborne, which are two of my faves.  

Really? Cause I looked at some lets plays to get re-motivated and it seems like it only gets worse. Still, point is im gonna finish it later on to complete my year-long tough RPG quest.

Just now, Red Tiger said:

Really? Cause I looked at some lets plays to get re-motivated and it seems like it only gets worse. Still, point is im gonna finish it later on to complete my year-long tough RPG quest.

It's been like a year since I've played the game, so I could be misremembering.  I know I enjoyed it and the last level where you fight a bunch of bosses right in a row was pretty awesome.  You seem to have a higher standard than I do though, if something hits the right notes for me for most of the game, I usually stick with it despite its flaws.  The level design, varied weapons/builds, random loot, good bosses, and tough but fair bosses draw me in.

1 hour ago, aceluby said:

It's been like a year since I've played the game, so I could be misremembering.  I know I enjoyed it and the last level where you fight a bunch of bosses right in a row was pretty awesome.  You seem to have a higher standard than I do though, if something hits the right notes for me for most of the game, I usually stick with it despite its flaws.  The level design, varied weapons/builds, random loot, good bosses, and tough but fair bosses draw me in.

My opinion might change. I ended up liking DS3 just fine (DSR....notsomuch, though I finised both). First I have to finish off Persona 3, though, by which I mean Elizabeth on expert.

I finished up my third game of They Are Billions; got wrecked again. This time it wasn't even the final horde, but the one before it that did me in. I'd read that one of things that makes the final horde so hard is that when it shows up every remaining zombie already on the map joins it for the assault on your base; which means that a tip to make it easier is to make sure to clear the map before the final horde shows up. The problem is that cleared areas don't stay cleared unless you wall them off; if you go away, new zombies that would otherwise attack your base (in staggered amounts, so they're easy to deal with) instead fill up the cleared area. So I tried doing that, but my economy couldn't sustain my rate of expansion and my defenses were too spread out and eventually there was a strong enough horde that just broke through. So on to game four.

Such an addicting game, its made me completely put aside for now Monster Hunter World and Trails of Cold Steel II, which are the games I had been playing.

Archived