Wow, I never noticed that v.17

@Jaehaerys Tyrell

On 6/16/2018 at 3:05 PM, Lollygag said:

Jon sees Ygritte who is a mash up of Arya and Sansa and is attracted to her. Jon is very possessive of his two sisters.

Jon will be the Aegon the Conqueror come again with Sansa and Arya as his twosister/cousin-wives ;) 

Can't get the quoting quite right across threads. Anyhow, I'm hoping it won't go all of the way into the wife territory, but there does seem to be some set up for this, at least for some type of dynamic with these 3. If it does go wifey - then the Starks have gotten off their priorities.

Edit: But my favorite Aegon and his sisters parallel by far is the hands-off King Robert, the Visenya-esqu Stannis and Rhaenys/Renly.

Tormund's name is somewhat similiar to Joramun's.

Tormund is something of a Hand for King of the Wildlings, first for Mance, now for Jon. So he is the acting king while the king is "unavailable"

one of Tormund's titles is Horn-Blower.

Tormund will blow the horn to wake the sleepees and the Watch will break. As hand to Jon King'o the Wildlings. I'm not sure who Brandon the Breaker is. But perhaps it could also be Tormund Breaker of ice? As hand to King Jon of Winter?

Two characters, one Wildling one Northman. Two king(dom)s. One corrupted NW.

Dracarys?”
All three dragons turned their heads at the sound of that word, and Viserion let loose with a blast of pale gold flame that made Ser Jorah take a hasty step backward. Dany giggled. “Be careful with that word, ser, or they’re like to singe your beard off. It means ‘dragonfire’ in High Valyrian.”

Drac = dragon

Arys = fire

So  Ser Arys, Ser Harys, Varys, have names that mean fire, or some kind of fire, and they are names of Valyrian origin.

But for the Targarens it is Danerys, Viserys, Aerys, Naerys, Jaehaerys

Also there is the Unsullied  Cetherys, the black pearl of Braavos Bellegere Otherys,

and the town of Volon Therys with its high white walls on the Rhoyne, full of Golden Company sellswords and threatened by Dothraki.

Also High Valyrian origin (for the Targaryen names, at least) and probably some meaning like 'firey' or 'fire-like'

eta: it occurs to me now that drac could mean fire, and arys dragon. In which case Adrack Humble might be the one with the High Valyrian name that references fire, and arys/erys might signify dragon/dragonrider. 

Dany and Xaro are discussing the training of Unsullied in Dany III, Dance.

"Cruelly, I have no doubt. When a smith makes a sword, he thrusts the blade into the fire, beats on it with a hammer, then plunges it into iced water to temper the steel. If you would savor the sweet taste of the fruit, you must water the tree."

"This tree has been watered with blood."

"How else, to grow a soldier? 

We all know about wierwoods and blood sacrifice, so this is a fun mention from George, but should we be taking anything else from this?

Does George want us to think of wierwoods as soldiers? If so, soldiers in what sense? 

54 minutes ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

We all know about wierwoods and blood sacrifice, so this is a fun mention from George, but should we be taking anything else from this?

Does George want us to think of wierwoods as soldiers? If so, soldiers in what sense? 

Reminds me of the grey-green sentinels and the soldier pines. The grey-green sentinels especially get mentioned along with weirwoods.

49 minutes ago, Giant Ice Spider said:

@OtherFromAnotherMother

George clearly has no idea how blacksmithing works. You plunge the blade into cold water to QUENCH the steel. Having made and quenched the sword, you heat the blade until it glows blue and in doing so TEMPER it. Or thereabouts.

Could it be a subtle reference to Lightbringer's forging? 

The "fire" being the dragon filled moon that cracks and releases a million dragons (Qartheen tale that Doreah tells Dany in GoT) tied together with the story of Nissa Nissa's scream which cracks the moon. That moon could be considered "fire".

Xaro (explaining the forging) is from Qarth, so there is that.

The dragons are also "watered with blood".

4 minutes ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Could it be a subtle reference to Lightbringer's forging? 

The "fire" being the dragon filled moon that cracks and releases a million dragons (Qartheen tale that Doreah tells Dany in GoT) tied together with the story of Nissa Nissa's scream which cracks the moon. That moon could be considered "fire".

Xaro (explaining the forging) is from Qarth, so there is that.

The dragons are also "watered with blood".

A possibility, but that doesn't change the fact GRRM has no idea how people make swords.

3 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

"Cruelly, I have no doubt. When a smith makes a sword, he thrusts the blade into the fire, beats on it with a hammer, then plunges it into iced water to temper the steel. If you would savor the sweet taste of the fruit, you must water the tree."

"This tree has been watered with blood."

"How else, to grow a soldier? 

Thank you for highlighting this. It helps to pinpoint an idea about the fruit motif.

I think the comparison is not only between soldiers and trees but between soldiers and fruit. The rows upon rows of Unsullied are like the rows upon rows of wildfire jars that Tyrion inspects in the cellar of the Alchemists. Aerys instructed the Alchemists to make each clay jar in the shape of a piece of fruit. I think this is another way GRRM is telling us that there is a cycle of war that trains up new soldiers who are brutalized to virtually become weapons in a war directed by "slaveholders," then thrown away like a broken clay jar once they have performed their function. (See also Septon Meribald's speech to Brienne and Pod and Ser Hyle in AFfC.) Aside from clay jars shaped like fruit, there are a number of other examples of people throwing actual fruit at other people in the books. Some knights and/or jousters are associated with fruits, too: Crane = plum, Renly = peach, Dontos and Penny / Groat = melon, Fossoways = apple.

This relates to the "Lamentation = attain lemon" anagram I posted on the puns & wordplay thread as it links weapons and fruit. (Lamentation is the name of the Valyrian steel sword owned by House Royce. It was lost in the storming of the dragonpit in 130 AC, during the civil war known as the Dance of the Dragons.)

But I had an additional "Wow, I never noticed that" realization when I learned that a group of swans can be referred to as a lamentation of swans (in those silly lists of animal groups that are only really used by poets and authors). Arya is strongly linked to swans - and she expresses an interest in both being one and eating one - when she watches them paddling around in the God's Eye. She also goes through some ugly duckling symbolism wearing a dress provided by Lady Smallwood, who was born Ravella Swann.

"There is that as well," agreed the queen. "Only a blind man could fail to see our war is all but won. Lord Tyrell has Storm's End invested. Riverrun is besieged by the Freys and my cousin Daven, our new Warden of the West. Lord Redwyne's ships have passed through the Straits of Tarth and are moving swiftly up the coast. Only a few fishing boats remain on Dragonstone to oppose Redwyne's landing. The castle may hold for some time, but once we have the port we can cut the garrison off from the sea. Then only Stannis himself will remain to vex us."
"If Lord Janos can be believed, he is trying to make common cause with the wildlings," warned Grand Maester Pycelle. 
(Cersei IV, AFFC 17)

I guess I totally missed that Janos Slynt did communicate from with King's Landing from the Wall. I should say informing.

@Seams

Might relate to your post some;

Rickard's aunt Jocelyn married Benedict Royce and Rickard's great grandmother is Lorra Royce.

Royce, according to wiktionary, is a matronymic surname derived from the surname Rose.

Lyanna Stark, for example, is associated with Rose and also King Brandon's maiden daughter , so this may apply for other Stark women as well.

14 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

@Seams

Might relate to your post some;

Rickard's aunt Jocelyn married Benedict Royce and Rickard's great grandmother is Lorra Royce.

Royce, according to wiktionary, is a matronymic surname derived from the surname Rose.

Lyanna Stark, for example, is associated with Rose and also King Brandon's maiden daughter , so this may apply for other Stark women as well.

Interesting! And Brienne hates roses ...

13 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Northern men and women even founded sellsword company - Company of Rose - after Torrhen Stark's submission to Aegon I.

Petyr doesn't need to teach Alayne how to lie or to play the game... Sansa already knows how...

"Tell me, what do you feel for my kingly nephew?"

"I love him with all my heart," Sansa said at once. 

The imp laughed aloud, "Well, someone has taught you to lie well. You may be grateful for that one day."

CI would sooner return to my own bed." A lie came to her suddenly, but it seemed so right that she blurted it out at once. "This tower was where my father's men were slain. Their ghosts would give me terrible dreams, and I would see their blood wherever I looked."

Sansa III, Clash 32

On 6/24/2018 at 11:28 AM, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

I have wondered about this too. 

Posted it in the other threas but it ended. 

Ned is a skinflint.

t Winterfell, he always had an extra seat set at his own table, and every day a different man would be asked to join him. One night it would be Vayon Poole, and the talk would be coppers and bread stores and servants. 

Not dragons, not stags. Guy is a LP and talks about coppers.

Ned's Grandmother was a mountain Flint, so Stark + Flint = Skinflint I guess

Nagga's Cradle;

Ahead loomed the sacred shore of Old Wyk and the grassy hill above it, where the ribs of Nagga rose from the earth like the trunks of great white trees, as wide around as a dromonds mast and twice as tall.
The bones of the Grey Kings Hall. Victarion could feel the magic of this place. (The Iron Captain, AFFC 18)

High Heart;

The next day they rode to a place called High Heart, a hill so lofty that from atop it Arya felt as though she could see half the world. Around its brow stood a ring of huge pale stumps, all that remained of a circle of once-mighty weirwoods. Arya and Gendry walked around the hill to count them. There were thirty-one, some so wide that she could have used them for a bed.
High Heart had been sacred to the children of the forest, Tom Sevenstrings told her, and some of their magic lingered here still.  
(Arya IV, ASOS 22)

There's also something of a comparison with Erreg the Kinslayer who killed the children of the forest in their sacred grove and Urron of Orkmont letting his axemen loose during the last kingsmoot and Nagga's ribs turning red with gore, which sounds a whole lot like a blood sacrifice.

24 minutes ago, Widow's Watch said:

Nagga's Cradle;

High Heart;

There's also something of a comparison with Erreg the Kinslayer who killed the children of the forest in their sacred grove and Urron of Orkmont letting his axemen loose during the last kingsmoot and Nagga's ribs turning red with gore, which sounds a whole lot like a blood sacrifice.

Yeah, buddy... You might like this

Archived