Wow, I never noticed that v.17

Waymar Royce's description; first man to die in the story and at the hand of the Others no less.

He was a handsome youth of eighteen, grey-eyed and graceful and slender as a knife.  (Prologue, AGOT)

Jon Snow's description by Bran, the following chapter

Jon's eyes were a grey so dark they seemed almost black, but there was little they did not see. He was of an age with Robb, but they did not look alike. Jon was slender where Robb was muscular, dark where Robb was fair, graceful and quick where his half brother was strong and fast. (Bran I, AGoT 1)

And there's this also and that's really not to mention the words he imparted to both boys and the affection he seems to have for them;

Tyrion/Jon; 

"Oh, bleed that," The little man said. He pushed himself off the ledge into empty air. Jon gasped, then watched in awe as Tyrion Lannister spun around in a tight ball, landed lightly on his hands, then vaulted backward onto his legs. (Jon I, AGoT 5)

Tyrion/Young Griff;

The dwarf laughed last; he could paddle passably well, and did . . . until his legs began to cramp. Young Griff extended him a pole. "You are not the first to try and drown me," he told Duck, as he was pouring river water from his boot. "My father threw me down a well the day I was born, but I was so ugly that the water witch who lived down there spat me back." He pulled off the other boot, then did a cartwheel along the deck, spraying all of them.
Young Griff laughed. "Where did you learn that?" (Tyrion IV, ADwD 14)

6 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Waymar Royce's description; first man to die in the story and at the hand of the Others no less.

He was a handsome youth of eighteen, grey-eyed and graceful and slender as a knife.  (Prologue, AGOT)

Jon Snow's description by Bran, the following chapter

Jon's eyes were a grey so dark they seemed almost black, but there was little they did not see. He was of an age with Robb, but they did not look alike. Jon was slender where Robb was muscular, dark where Robb was fair, graceful and quick where his half brother was strong and fast. (Bran I, AGoT 1)

The Jon/Waymar parallels are my favorite in the series. They have a similar appearance. Both are killed by a group of "watchers". This one assumes that Jon will also rise again, possibly killing some BrOthers as well...

There is a good thread about it somewhere on here. I'd search for it, but it is difficult on this phone I am using.  

12 minutes ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

The Jon/Waymar parallels are my favorite in the series. They have a similar appearance. Both are killed by a group of "watchers". This one assumes that Jon will also rise again, possibly killing some BrOthers as well...

There is a good thread about it somewhere on here. I'd search for it, but it is difficult on this phone I am using.  

Jon and Waymar are described so similarly that I always thought this may have been a case of mistaken identity between the two from the Others. He seems to have been targeted. Once he is dead, they move on and leave Will and Gared alone. 

And no worried about the thread, my attention span today is pretty much non-existent. 

16 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Jon and Waymar are described so similarly that I always thought this may have been a case of mistaken identity between the two from the Others. He seems to have been targeted.

A case of mistaken identity for sure. Waymar had either the wrong sword and/or the wrong blood (having blood at all).

The Other halted. Will saw its eyes; blue, deeper and bluer than any human eyes, a blue that burned like ice. They fixed on the longsword trembling on high, watched the moonlight running cold along the metal. For a heartbeat he dared to hope.

They emerged silently from the shadows, twins to the first. Three of them … four … five … Ser Waymar may have felt the cold that came with them, but he never saw them, never heard them. Will had to call out. It was his duty. And his death, if he did. He shivered, and hugged the tree, and kept the silence.

The pale sword came shivering through the air.

Ser Waymar met it with steel. When the blades met, there was no ring of metal on metal; only a high, thin sound at the edge of hearing, like an animal screaming in pain. Royce checked a second blow, and a third, then fell back a step. Another flurry of blows, and he fell back again.

Behind him, to right, to left, all around him, the watchers stood patient, faceless, silent, the shifting patterns of their delicate armor making them all but invisible in the wood. Yet they made no move to interfere.

Again and again the swords met, until Will wanted to cover his ears against the strange anguished keening of their clash. Ser Waymar was panting from the effort now, his breath steaming in the moonlight. His blade was white with frost; the Other’s danced with pale blue light.

Then Royce’s parry came a beat too late. The pale sword bit through the ringmail beneath his arm. The young lord cried out in pain. Blood welled between the rings. It steamed in the cold, and the droplets seemed red as fire where they touched the snow. Ser Waymar’s fingers brushed his side. His moleskin glove came away soaked with red.

The Other said something in a language that Will did not know; his voice was like the cracking of ice on a winter lake, and the words were mocking.

Ser Waymar Royce found his fury. “For Robert!” he shouted, and he came up snarling, lifting the frost-covered longsword with both hands and swinging it around in a flat sidearm slash with all his weight behind it. The Other’s parry was almost lazy.

When the blades touched, the steel shattered.

On 1/24/2019 at 9:58 PM, 2uenten said:

Sept- is a bastardized version of the Latin prefix/word for seven. So Septs, Septons, and Septas are appropriately named. 

The first time I read game, I assumed "septa" was an archaic or French word for nanny. :D

The (sadly not real) fashion of leaving the left breast bare among certain cultures is in memory of Nissa Nissa. 

'NissaNissa,' he said to her, for that was her name, 'bare your breast, and know that I love you best of all that is in this world.' She did this thing, why I cannot say, and Azor Ahai thrust the smoking sword through her living heart. 

This could possibly be mined for clues on cultures with origins in the Great Empire of the Dawn. 

"You may sleep on the deck or in the hold, as you prefer. Ysilla will find bedding for you."
"How kind of her." Tyrion made a waddling bow, but at the cabin door, he turned back. "What if we should find the queen and discover that this talk of dragons was just some sailor's drunken fancy? This wide world is full of such mad tales. Grumkins and snarks, ghosts and ghouls, mermaids, rock goblins, winged horses, winged pigs … winged lions."

Tyrion was referencing griffs and I only noticed it now. I mean, he was probably implying he knew it was Connington, not just referencing his alias. No wonder he put 2 and 2 together so quickly though: griff - griffins - house connington.

21 hours ago, SiSt said:

The (sadly not real) fashion of leaving the left breast bare among certain cultures is in memory of Nissa Nissa. 

Awesome catch! 

To me, this lends even more credit to @LmL's moon meteor/Azor Ahai theory. Doreah says it was a trader from Qarth who told her the tale that dragons came from the moon. It is the Qartheen women who leave the breast bare. I think this is George trying to get the reader to make the connection. 

Does anyone know if this was in LmL's earlier essays? It has been so long since I've read those. If I have some time I'll go searching for this. 

Nice catch @SiSt!

18 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Awesome catch! 

To me, this lends even more credit to @LmL's moon meteor/Azor Ahai theory. Doreah says it was a trader from Qarth who told her the tale that dragons came from the moon. It is the Qartheen women who leave the breast bare. I think this is George trying to get the reader to make the connection. 

Does anyone know if this was in LmL's earlier essays? It has been so long since I've read those. If I have some time I'll go searching for this. 

Nice catch @SiSt!

Thanks! Yeah, not sure if it has been noticed (probably, but never seen it myself). It´s the typical "hidden in plain view" -blindspot.

I´m currently a stay-at-home dad, so overdosing on various asoiaf-related podcasts, LML among them... :-D

2 hours ago, SiSt said:

Thanks! Yeah, not sure if it has been noticed (probably, but never seen it myself). It´s the typical "hidden in plain view" -blindspot.

I´m currently a stay-at-home dad, so overdosing on various asoiaf-related podcasts, LML among them... :-D

I skimmed the first two "Bloodstone Compendium" essays and couldn't find anything written about it. If you don't find it either, maybe you should send him an email or something. I'm sure he'd get a kick out of it.

This doesn’t actually belong here but doesn’t warrant it’s own thread either, not with the current amount of material at least.

I’ll keep it short, we all know about the Barrow of the First King and the curse of him. When searching about Stamford Battle(more specifically the quote about six feet of good soil) I came upon this:

When Ivar lay in his last illness, he said that he should be carried to the place where armies came to harry, and he said he thought they should not have the victory when they came to the land. And when he died, it was done as he had said, and he was laid in the burial-mound. And many people say that when King Harald Hardrada came to England, he landed at the place where Ivar was, and he died on that expedition. And when William the Bastard came to the land, he went to the place and opened Ivar’s mound and saw Ivar, undecayed. Then he had a great fire made and had Ivar burned in the flames. After that he fought battles across the country and won the victory.

And by the gods, some old, some new and some red! Does it not remind you of the curse of the first king?

This does open a lot of room for thinking I guess! 

For starters, one crackpot; What if FK’s body was moved to Stark crypts after Barrowlands was conquered and it is he(his corpse/bones) that Jon will find in the crypts and not something Lyanna related(as he’s seen her statue hundreds of times if not thousands)?

The height of folly was reached when a plump fool came capering out in gold-painted tin with a lion's head, and chased a dwarf around the tables, whacking him over the head with a bladder. Finally king Renly demanded to know why he was beating his brother. "Why, Your Grace, I'm the Kinslayer," the fool said.

"It's Kingslayer, fool of a fool," Renly said, and the hall rang with laughter.

ACoK, Catelyn II

Fool of a fool indeed... Unless Jaime is the prophesised Valonqar?

He studied her, frowning. "Archmaester Rigney once wrote that history is a wheel, for the nature of man is fundamentally unchanging. What has happened before will perforce happen again, he said.

- The Reader in The Kraken's Daughter,  AFFC

And:

He had to think a moment. "A dragon eating its own tail?"
"The dragon is time. It has no beginning and no ending, so all things come round again. Anders Yronwood is Criston Cole reborn.

- Arianne in The Soiled Knight, AFFC

This isn't a wow moment but I love when authors use or reference the same themes.

Ned mimicking the Kings of Winter in the crypts..... 

'Catelyn found her husband beneath the weirwood, seated on a moss-covered stone. The greatsword Ice was across his lap and he was cleaning the blade..... The red eyes of the weirwood seemed to follow her.'   [AGOT, Cat I]

Further evidence foreshadowing Ned's death.

4 hours ago, 2uenten said:

We sometimes call Jon Connington Jon Con for short. Jon Con, who is pulling a con on the world with Aegon. And also (possibly) being conned himself about Aegon's true origins. 

I do think it's just a coincidence though.

Hahaha... Like Hooded Man -> HM -> Hallis Mollen

Archived