Wow, I never noticed that v.17

On 8/9/2018 at 1:39 AM, Widow's Watch said:

Mainly because I'm going through ADWD and I always loved Jon's descriptions for Stannis, Mel and Val. 

He is stone (Stannis) and she is flame (Mel). (Jon III, ADWD 10)

Val stood on the platform as still as if she had been carved of salt. (Jon III, ADWD 10)

Where I live we have a saying; " there's no smoke, where there's no fire" or something like that when translated.

So, if Val is salt and Mel is fire, who will burn to give birth amidst salt and smoke? 

Also I sincerely believe Jon will be moved to one of the cold rooms where sausages etc are stored and where the rats are.

New theory, Jon is secretly a ham(ster)!

5 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Where I live we have a saying; " there's no smoke, where there's no fire" or something like that when translated.

So, if Val is salt and Mel is fire, who will burn to give birth amidst salt and smoke? 

Also I sincerely believe Jon will be moved to one of the cold rooms where sausages etc are stored and where the rats are.

New theory, Jon is secretly a ham(ster)!

Where there's smoke, there's fire. I always like that the same expressions bang around in different languages.

I don't think Stannis is going to burn since according to Mel, he is Azor Ahai, but his blood can easily be used if he has a hand in whatever is going to happen with Jon after he's been stabbed. Stannis would have to be made of stone if he's going to feed his daughter to the flames. And there is one line that foreshadows this and it comes directly from him. 

5 hours ago, Widow's Watch said:

Where there's smoke, there's fire. I always like that the same expressions bang around in different languages.

I don't think Stannis is going to burn since according to Mel, he is Azor Ahai, but his blood can easily be used if he has a hand in whatever is going to happen with Jon after he's been stabbed. Stannis would have to be made of stone if he's going to feed his daughter to the flames. And there is one line that foreshadows this and it comes directly from him. 

Does stone burn? I don't think he'll burn either.

But Shireen is one candidate because of her grey plague.

I can also see pomegranate brulee.

By the way I always assumed Stannis was going to burn because of the king whose crown consumed his flesh but for the past few months I believe it was Viserys he saw. I believe he'll wed Dany or at least cross paths with her and come to some agreement. 

I can see Stannis sharing the power with or even stepping down for a descendant of Aerys because of regret over duties not fulfilled. As he himself says, like Ned he never wanted it and does so out of duty. 

3 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

By the way I always assumed Stannis was going to burn because of the king whose crown consumed his flesh but for the past few months I believe it was Viserys he saw. I believe he'll wed Dany or at least cross paths with her and come to some agreement. 

It's not the right thread for this, but I always thought the burning crown was more of a metaphor for Stannis's beliefs burning to ash and part of the slayer of lies trio. Stannis may sit the throne, but for a very short while or he will not become king at all. He believes he is the rightful king, rightfully so, but there are others who believe the same, and Mel somehow convinced him that he was AA, and I'd pay money to know what it is that she has told him. 

But it's Jon's thoughts on Stannis (stone), Mel (flame) and Val (salt) that have me doubting the veracity of the pink letter.

20 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Does stone burn? I don't think he'll burn either.

But Shireen is one candidate because of her grey plague.

I can also see pomegranate brulee.

I can see Stannis sharing the power with or even stepping down for a descendant of Aerys because of regret over duties not fulfilled. As he himself says, like Ned he never wanted it and does so out of duty. 

:rofl:

Houses' CoA may get additions or change entirely over time, Martells adding a sun to the spear, Tolands' ghost changing to a dragon eating it's tail, both of the two major branches of Vance having their dragons in a different color and quartered, Hollards' three tiara's for three queens provided to Darklyns...

And Darklyns, seven silver/white shields added to their shield in trierce. Is it a coincidence they had exactly seven members of their family served as KG, shields of the king?

I just now noticed, that Bloodraven and Bran are bloodrelated thru Blackwood line. Brynden's mother was Blackwood, same as Bran's paternal great great grandmother, Melantha Blackwood <- seems, that she will be one of major characters in the next novel of Dunk&Egg series.

So maybe Bran is a warg thru his Stark blood, but he is a greenseer thru his Blackwood blood, same as Bloodraven.

As many times as he had visited White Harbor, Davos had never set foot inside the New Castle, much less the Merman's Court. Its walls and floor and ceiling were made of wooden planks notched cunningly together and decorated with all the creatures of the sea. As they approached the dais, Davos trod on painted crabs and clams and starfish, half-hidden amongst twisting black seaweed and the bones of drowned sailors. On the walls to either side, pale sharks prowled painted blue-green depths, whilst eels and octopods slithered amongst rocks and sunken ships. Shoals of herring and great codfish swam between the tall arched windows. Higher up, near where the old fishing nets drooped down from the rafters, the surface of the sea had been depicted. To his right a war galley stroked serene against the rising sun; to his left, a battered old cog raced before a storm, her sails in rags. Behind the dais a kraken and grey leviathan were locked in battle beneath the painted waves. (Davos III, ADWD 19)

I never really pay attention to these types of descriptions, but Wyman Manderly holds court "under" the sea. And Davos is there, "under" the sea. There's some Drowned God and Patchface vibes going on in this passage.

17 hours ago, Widow's Watch said:

I never really pay attention to these types of descriptions, but Wyman Manderly holds court "under" the sea. And Davos is there, "under" the sea. There's some Drowned God and Patchface vibes going on in this passage.

Well, that or GRRM has a Little Mermaid fetish.

Probably not new, but I just realized that we still have five kings in Westeros, so we haven't moved anywhere on that front story-wise:

Tommen

Euron

Stannis(?)

fAegon

Mance(?)

(?) = Still alive?

Wow, I never noticed that Melisandre and Selyse are grumkins and snarks!

Run, Shireen, run!

• A Clash of Kings - Prologue

An ugly little girl and a sad fool, and maester makes three . . . now there is a tale to make men weep. "Sit with me, child." Cressen beckoned her closer. "This is early to come calling, scarce past dawn. You should be snug in your bed."

"I had bad dreams," Shireen told him. "About the dragons. They were coming to eat me."

The child had been plagued by nightmares as far back as Maester Cressen could recall. "We have talked of this before," he said gently. "The dragons cannot come to life. They are carved of stone, child. In olden days, our island was the westernmost outpost of the great Freehold of Valyria. It was the Valyrians who raised this citadel, and they had ways of shaping stone since lost to us. A castle must have towers wherever two walls meet at an angle, for defense. The Valyrians fashioned these towers in the shape of dragons to make their fortress seem more fearsome, just as they crowned their walls with a thousand gargoyles instead of simple crenellations." He took her small pink hand in his own frail spotted one and gave it a gentle squeeze. "So you see, there is nothing to fear."

Because it is late and I am lazy at the moment, here is the wiki description of each, followed by just a few of the book clues below. There are more, but again, it's late and a movie calls:

Grumkins- Melisandre are mythical creatures that appear in Westerosi folktales. They are associated with granting wishes, either by crafting magical objects which make wishes come true,[1] or by directly giving people a number of wishes, of which the third wish is the last and must be used carefully.[2] Grumkins are implied to be of short stature[3] or otherwise of very small size[4] and may also steal and replace children.[5]

• A Game of Thrones - Jon IX

Are you such a mighty warrior, or do you carry a grumkin in your pocket to magic up your sword?"

• A Feast for Crows - Samwell IV

I remembered that, so I allowed myself to hope . . . perhaps I wanted to . . . we all deceive ourselves, when we want to believe. Melisandre most of all, I think. The sword is wrong, she has to know that . . . light without heat . . . an empty glamor . . . the sword is wrong, and the false light can only lead us deeper into darkness, Sam.
  • A Storm of Swords - Davos IV

"Say the name," Melisandre commanded.

The leech was twisting in the king's grip, trying to attach itself to one of his fingers. "The usurper," he said. "Joffrey Baratheon." When he tossed the leech into the fire, it curled up like an autumn leaf amidst the coals, and burned.

Stannis grasped the second. "The usurper," he declared, louder this time. "Balon Greyjoy." He flipped it lightly onto the brazier, and its flesh split and cracked. The blood burst from it, hissing and smoking.

• A Storm of Swords - Davos V

"They will not." Melisandre's voice was soft. "I am sorry, Your Grace. This is not an end. More false kings will soon rise to take up the crowns of those who've died."

"More?" Stannis looked as though he would gladly have throttled her. "More usurpers? More traitors?"

"I have seen it in the flames."

• A Dance with Dragons - Jon VI

"Lord Snow." The voice was Melisandre's.

Surprise made him recoil from her. "Lady Melisandre." He took a step backwards. "I mistook you for someone else." At night all robes are grey. Yet suddenly hers were red. He did not understand how he could have taken her for Ygritte. She was taller, thinner, older, though the moonlight washed years from her face. Mist rose from her nostrils, and from pale hands naked to the night. "You will freeze your fingers off," Jon warned.

"If that is the will of R'hllor. Night's powers cannot touch one whose heart is bathed in god's holy fire."

• A Dance with Dragons - Melisandre I

"Me?" Snow sounded startled.

"Who else, my lord? Only his life's blood could pay for his crimes, your laws said, and Stannis Baratheon is not a man to go against the law … but as you said so sagely, the laws of men end at the Wall. I told you that the Lord of Light would hear your prayers. You wanted a way to save your little sister and still hold fast to the honor that means so much to you, to the vows you swore before your wooden god." She pointed with a pale finger. "There he stands, Lord Snow. Arya's deliverance. A gift from the Lord of Light … and me."

{snipped}

But the widow's peak dissolved. The brown mustache, the knobby chin, the sallow yellowed flesh and small dark eyes, all melted. Grey fingers crept through long brown hair. Laugh lines appeared at the corners of his mouth. All at once he was bigger than before, broader in the chest and shoulders, long-legged and lean, his face clean-shaved and windburnt.
Jon Snow's grey eyes grew wider. "Mance?"

Snarks- Sleyse are creatures of folklore in the Seven Kingdoms. The snarks are supposed to live beyond the Wall with grumkins, monsters used in nursery tales to frighten children.[1] In derision of the apparent futility of the Wall and the mission of the Night's Watch, the snarks are often referenced as an improbable danger that is hiding in the haunted forest.[2] They are known to be elusive and some may have beards.[2]

Adults no longer believe in snarks and consider them imaginary beings,[3] comparable to legendary animals and supernatural entities[4] or the monsters which children's nurses warn them against.[1] As a result, several attempts to seek aid against the danger of the Others are met with mockery which ridicules the messenger as also fearing "snarks and grumkins,"[5][2] which the speaker implies are similarly non-existent.

• It was the answer that Jon Snow had expected. This queen never fails to disappoint. Somehow that did not soften the blow. "Your Grace," he persisted stubbornly, "they are starving at Hardhome by the thousands. Many are women—"

"—and children, yes. Very sad." The queen pulled her daughter closer to her and kissed her cheek. The cheek unmarred by greyscale, Jon did not fail to note. "We are sorry for the little ones, of course, but we must be sensible. We have no food for them, and they are too young to help the king my husband in his wars. Better that they be reborn into the light."

That was just a softer way of saying let them die.

• He glanced at Queen Selyse. There must have been a blizzard the day she and Stannis wed.

• Selyse has pale eyes, a sharp nose, and suffers from hair growth on her upper lip.

• Selyse kept her sworn shields about her night and day. Tormund Giantsbane had roared to hear it. "Afraid of being carried off, is she? I hope you never said how big me member is, Jon Snow, that'd frighten any woman. I always wanted me one with a mustache." Then he laughed and laughed.

• A Dance with Dragons - Jon IX

Queen Selyse sniffed. "We are done with Eastwatch. We did not like it there. A queen should be mistress beneath her own roof. We found your Cotter Pyke to be an uncouth and unpleasant man, quarrelsome and niggardly."

You should hear what Cotter says of you. "I am sorry for that, but I fear Your Grace will find conditions at the Nightfort even less to your liking. We speak of a fortress, not a palace. A grim place, and cold. Whereas Eastwatch—"

"Eastwatch is not safe." The queen put a hand on her daughter's shoulder. "This is the king's true heir. Shireen will one day sit the Iron Throne and rule the Seven Kingdoms. She must be kept from harm, and Eastwatch is where the attack will come. This Nightfort is the place my husband has chosen for our seat, and there we shall abide. We—oh!"

But maybe Ghost will make it all better?

• A Game of Thrones - Tyrion II

"Why did he attack me?" Tyrion asked with a sidelong glance at the direwolf. He wiped blood and dirt from his mouth with the back of his hand.

"Maybe he thought you were a grumkin."

Tyrion glanced at him sharply. Then he laughed, a raw snort of amusement that came bursting out through his nose entirely without his permission. "Oh, gods," he said, choking on his laughter and shaking his head, "I suppose I do rather look like a grumkin. What does he do to snarks?"

"You don't want to know." Jon picked up the wineskin and handed it to Tyrion.

They found the Golden Company beside the river as the sun was lowering in the west. It was a camp that even Arthur Dayne might have approved of -- compact, orderly, defensible. A deep ditch had been dug around it, with sharpened stakes inside. The tents stood in rows, with broad avenues between them. (The Lost Lord, ADWD 24)

Granted, the ToJ was not a military camp, but it raises questions about what Arthur and his brothers were thinking. 

"The pyramids are strong," she explained to him. "We could take them only at great cost. The moment we attack one the others will rise against us."
"Then winkled them out of their pyramids on some pretext. A wedding might serve. Why not? Promise your hand to Hizdhar and all the Great Masters will come to see you married. When they gather in the Temple of the Graces, turn us loose upon them." (Dany IV, ADWD 23)

Daario is a Frey ;)

4 minutes ago, Widow's Watch said:

"The pyramids are strong," she explained to him. "We could take them only at great cost. The moment we attack one the others will rise against us."
"Then winkled them out of their pyramids on some pretext. A wedding might serve. Why not? Promise your hand to Hizdhar and all the Great Masters will come to see you married. When they gather in the Temple of the Graces, turn us loose upon them." (Dany IV, ADWD 23)

Daario is a Frey ;)

:blink:... nice!

I like Dany's reaction to this scenario:

He had been so long away, Dany had almost forgotten what he was. Sellswords were treacherous by nature, she reminded herself. Fickle, faithless, brutal. He will never be more than he is. He will never be the stuff of kings. "The pyramids are strong," she explained to him. "We could take them only at great cost. The moment we attack one the others will rise against us."

"Then winkle them out of their pyramids on some pretext. A wedding might serve. Why not? Promise your hand to Hizdahr and all the Great Masters will come to see you married. When they gather in the Temple of the Graces, turn us loose upon them."

Dany was appalled. He is a monster. A gallant monster, but a monster still. "Do you take me for the Butcher King?"

20 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

:blink:... nice!

I like Dany's reaction to this scenario:

He had been so long away, Dany had almost forgotten what he was. Sellswords were treacherous by nature, she reminded herself. Fickle, faithless, brutal. He will never be more than he is. He will never be the stuff of kings. "The pyramids are strong," she explained to him. "We could take them only at great cost. The moment we attack one the others will rise against us."

"Then winkle them out of their pyramids on some pretext. A wedding might serve. Why not? Promise your hand to Hizdahr and all the Great Masters will come to see you married. When they gather in the Temple of the Graces, turn us loose upon them."

Dany was appalled. He is a monster. A gallant monster, but a monster still. "Do you take me for the Butcher King?"

Yes, her response is great. 

We know there's a Frey who is an outlaw, whose name is Aegon, whose brother is a smirking worm who wears a dragon's name and who has allegedly been baked into a pie. 

Alright. I'm gonna quit while I'm ahead. I'm just joking about Daarion being a Frey, but him suggesting a Red Wedding in Meereen is all kinds of disturbing.

On 8/16/2018 at 4:34 PM, Widow's Watch said:

Yes, her response is great. 

We know there's a Frey who is an outlaw, whose name is Aegon, whose brother is a smirking worm who wears a dragon's name and who has allegedly been baked into a pie. 

Alright. I'm gonna quit while I'm ahead. I'm just joking about Daarion being a Frey, but him suggesting a Red Wedding in Meereen is all kinds of disturbing.

I meant to add this the other day, but brain fuzz :) 

This is crackpot done sooo right that’s its practically not crackpot.  

"I will tell you," said Davos, "if you will tell me who betrayed me." It could only have been Salladhor Saan, and yet even now he prayed it was not so.

The red woman laughed. "No one betrayed you, onion knight. I saw your purpose in my flames."

- Davos III, ASOS

"If the wildling had meant her harm, she would have seen it in her flames. Danger to her own person was the first thing she had learned to see, back when she was still half a child, a slave girl bound for life to the great red temple. It was still the first thing she looked for whenever she gazed into a fire."

- Melisandre, ADWD

Archived