Match Day 7: Portugal v Morocco; Uruguay v Saudi Arabia; Iran v Spain

10 minutes ago, I am Zlatan said:

Iran deserve a point at least for attempting a somersault throw-in during injury time.

Yeah, you could tell he was hoping for a fancy throw --> goal! Something for his highlight reel. :)

I didn't see the match, but reports are saying Spain was pretty lalackluster. Was that the case, anyone who watched it?

12 minutes ago, Triskjavikson said:

I actually caught the whole 2nd half in a restaurant and saw a stat flashed that was something like 266-60 passes completed (for Spain, obviously).  But that said it didn't feel nearly as lop-sided as that stat suggests, and I know that's Spain's style anyway.

What I'm hoping someone can enlighten me on is the call on the Iranian goal.  I thought I read the caption of the commentary say it was the right call technically but a bro next to me who seemed really learned on the footie said it was not the right call.  Can anyone clarify?  Crushing for Iran either way as they'd really have been in a solid spot with a draw here. 

ETA:  That pass stat was somewhere in the relatively early 2nd half.  Not for the game.  

Looked like the right call to me, ball came in and was knocked down onto an Iranian player who was offside, from whom it deflected back to another Iranian who buried it.

7 hours ago, Yukle said:

I didn't see the match, but reports are saying Spain was pretty lalackluster. Was that the case, anyone who watched it?

Spain were pretty much canceled out by Iranian 100% defensive play. Then Spain scored a very lucky goal and pulled back a bit. It was EXTREMELY boring to watch.

5 hours ago, Triskjavikson said:

What I'm hoping someone can enlighten me on is the call on the Iranian goal.  I thought I read the caption of the commentary say it was the right call technically but a bro next to me who seemed really learned on the footie said it was not the right call.  Can anyone clarify?  

It was an offside, it was the right call.

Bro next to you is either not really as knowledgable as he seemed or he was hoping the goal would stand, for some reason. ;) 

5 hours ago, Davrum said:

Looked like the right call to me, ball came in and was knocked down onto an Iranian player who was offside, from whom it deflected back to another Iranian who buried it.

Actually, the guy who is in the offside position (no. 6) is the guy who then scores. Not that it makes any difference to the goals legality.

Archived