The Darkwater Legacy by Chris Wooding

AncalagonTheBlack

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Just a trilogy, I believe.

It does seem appropriate that if he's doing a homage to 80s fantasy then it should be a trilogy.

10 minutes ago, john said:

Sounds good.  Looking forward to this one.  I’ve yet to meet a bad Chris Wooding book.  I will say that the Ember Blade is a much better series title than the Darkwater Legacy.

You're right, it isn't a great title.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Just a trilogy, I believe.

Cool. Traditional to the max.

1 hour ago, john said:

Sounds good.  Looking forward to this one.  I’ve yet to meet a bad Chris Wooding book.  I will say that the Ember Blade is a much better series title than the Darkwater Legacy.

I really need to read the fade and braided path. I have the braided path omnibus but it's a bit of a monster to carry around for reading. 

The series title reminds me of "the pirates of dark water" cartoon. I'd be all for monkey birds and fantasy pirates turning up

The Fade is interesting.  It’s more thriller like in length and pace, has a deliberately weird narrative construction as well as a different style and tone from his typical stuff.

The Braided Path is also very enjoyable. It’s pretty straight forward, fun fantasy but with enough unique world building moments to elevate it.  I read the giant book pre kindle era and I definitely remember being annoyed that I couldn’t take it anywhere.

I also read the Haunting of Alaizabel Cray, which is nominally YA, although I wouldn’t say it differs much from the Jetty Kay books in terms of tone and type of content.  It’s about demons and stuff.

His other books are probably a bit young for my tastes but some of them sound pretty cool as well.

On 6/21/2018 at 2:49 PM, john said:

I saw this thread title the other day and wondered if someone was tieing into the old cartoon “The Pirates of Darkwater.”  :lol: 

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Update from author:

I had a request on Twitter to post a map up as it’s not easy to enjoy maps on an ebook, so here it is. Unfortunately it’s a pdf so you’ll need to click the link to download it. I promise no spybots will swarm your computer when you do. Promise.

Ember-Blade-map

Well, I’m about 20-odd chapters into the sequel to the Ember Blade, but a large chunk of time was spent upfront planning the whole thing so it’s not going quite as slowly as it might seem. That’s probably about one-fifth; I’m hoping it won’t be quite as long as its predecessor and certainly no longer, but who know what the gods of epic fantasy will decree?

I spent several months of last year working as a Narrative Consultant on The Creative Assembly’s new video game IP, helping with worldbuilding, story and character design, and all kinds of goodies thereabouts. I can’t tell you anything more about the game since it’s not been announced yet but it’s gonna be soooo good!

Archived