Snow Symbolism

JaneSnow

Could we discuss the symbolism in the repeating motifs of snow. Snow seems to be used to describe change, new beginnings(both negative and positive). It is snowing when Jon and the girls leave Winterfell. It is snowing when Sam leaves Castle Black. There is also the snow the morning that Sansa makes a snow version of Winterfell and LF kisses her, leading to her aunt trying to kill her and her aunt herself being killed. Another example is in Jaime's final chapter in AFFC, when he wakes up after dreaming about his mother to find it had snowed. This so far I've found the most symbolism in. He'd just dreamt of his mum, and it was the first time he'd dreamt of himself with only one hand, showing that he'd begun to accept the way he his deep down. When he wakes however, Jaime unhappily acknowledges that he cannot make a snowball without both his hands. He then reads the letter from Cersei and takes a big step in breaking away from her toxicity by burning the letter and not responding to it.

Snow is strongly linked to the KG cloaks. I suspect to draw comparison between their snow-white reputation and the ugly reality of the KG and also to draw comparison/contrast to the black NW in their roles and how they're perceived by Westeros.

When I try to puzzle out the meaning of one of GRRM's ongoing, major symbols, I try to look at the actual passages from the book. The author's use of words is very precise and the details are specific. To find the meaning or make sure the discussion is focused, it's helpful to include the quotes in the posts.

Having said that, I would also offer that snow is going to be a layered, complex symbol with subtle differences in meaning depending which character is discussing or experiencing it. For instance, Ramsay Snow and Jon Snow are not similar (I hope) but they share the Snow symbolism. Starks are at home in the snow because they are from the north; Targaryens are at home with fire because they are dragon-lovers. Snow would have different meanings to these different clans. Snow is related to ice and wind and mist, but it is not the same as those things. A snow man will have a different purpose than a snow storm. As Lollygag points out, too, the color of snow can bring in other symbolic allusions. I think there's probably also a pun involving snow / nose and knows, so what does it mean for snow that Tyrion lost his nose?

tl;dr: It's complicated, I think.

Archived