Wiki Update

Ran

@direpupy

I've introduced an offset to push the main body off the screen. It's not exactly dead center, but perhaps it will help with those who find it difficult to have the text aligned to the left side. I'm not 100% sold on the readability question -- I think in many cases it's just that it feels new and different -- but we're definitely opening to experimenting.

3 minutes ago, Switzeran said:

@direpupy

I've introduced an offset to push the main body off the screen. It's not exactly dead center, but perhaps it will help with those who find it difficult to have the text aligned to the left side. I'm not 100% sold on the readability question -- I think in many cases it's just that it feels new and different -- but we're definitely opening to experimenting.

I took a look and must say that for me this is a improvement, so i am happy with this solution it allows me to concentrate on the text again without the ads being a distraction. I still see they ads off course but there not as distracting because i can once again focus on the center of my screen while reading.

A few more comments/thoughts:

As fancy as I thought it was that the contents list would fold out while scrolling through the page (with for example each subsection heading becoming visible only at reaching the heading it falls under), having the contents list at the top of the page in its entirety feels a bit better. It gives you a better overview of all contents of the page in a single second, and lets you move down to sections immediately.

Great that the page categories are now visible in mobile view as well!

IMO, the readability of a few things could use a few tweeks. For example, the website name ("A Wiki of Ice and Fire") is cut on my mobile view, because the title is longer than my screen is wide, starting out below the bullet point list in the upper right corner. This is, of course, not a problem, but because it cuts only after "and", the lower half of "Fire" falls out of the cream-colored box it supposed to be in. Would it be possible to have the wiki place the cut in a way that the first part of the title name fits next to the bullet list and the rest falls on the second line beneath, still within the box?

Some pages still do not entirely fit, due to the images on the page (for example, the Dance of the Dragons page), where (this time) the issue appears to be those images aligned to the right.

Also, both on mobile and on browser, the text in the infoboxes aligns immediately against the side of the box. We previously had a little bit of space in between the line of the box and the start of the text. In my opinion, this greatly enhances readability of the boxes, so if that could be adjusted (it seems to be that this is a CSS setting issue, as the templates are currently unchanged).

Additionally, I was wondering if it would be possible to put something into place that automatically ensures that, at least on mobile view, the main text of the page will start below the infoboxes (always placed before the main text in the editing window), to prevent small words being oddly placed (for example, when I open the "A Clash of Kings" page, the "A" of the sentence starting with "A Clash of Kings" is positioned at the left top of the infobox and the remainder of the sentence falls completely below).

12 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

IMO, the readability of a few things could use a few tweeks. For example, the website name ("A Wiki of Ice and Fire") is cut on my mobile view, because the title is longer than my screen is wide, starting out below the bullet point list in the upper right corner. This is, of course, not a problem, but because it cuts only after "and", the lower half of "Fire" falls out of the cream-colored box it supposed to be in. Would it be possible to have the wiki place the cut in a way that the first part of the title name fits next to the bullet list and the rest falls on the second line beneath, still within the box?

Can you take a screenshot of your device looking at the page? I admit, I have not had that issue on mobile myself. It should shrink the title down to fit pretty much all devices.

Some pages still do not entirely fit, due to the images on the page (for example, the Dance of the Dragons page), where (this time) the issue appears to be those images aligned to the right.

I think this will be fixed if we can get templates updated to put in the responsive class. Worth hand-editing them to see what happens.

Also, both on mobile and on browser, the text in the infoboxes aligns immediately against the side of the box. We previously had a little bit of space in between the line of the box and the start of the text. In my opinion, this greatly enhances readability of the boxes, so if that could be adjusted (it seems to be that this is a CSS setting issue, as the templates are currently unchanged).

Definitely a CSS thing, but I'm not sure what needs tweaking. Template/CSS mavens, help!

Additionally, I was wondering if it would be possible to put something into place that automatically ensures that, at least on mobile view, the main text of the page will start below the infoboxes (always placed before the main text in the editing window), to prevent small words being oddly placed (for example, when I open the "A Clash of Kings" page, the "A" of the sentence starting with "A Clash of Kings" is positioned at the left top of the infobox and the remainder of the sentence falls completely below).

I have noticed that as well, and can't quite figure out why it is happening. It should show all the text it can possibly show in the space provided, rather than picking a word or two and then shoving the rest down. If anyone has thoughts on it, let me know. I'll take a look at it as well.

2 hours ago, spencerx13 said:

@Switzeran Thanks for adding the random article link back in!

No problem. It was never the intention of just dropping stuff people used. It's simply the way the Tweeki skin is by default, but it's pretty easy to reactivate stuff.

@Rhaenys_Targaryen

I've padded out the infobox text so that it no longer pushes right against the infobox borders.

The issue with text being squeezed down is something I have tried to deal with as well. Not 100% happy with the solution because it does some weird things on tablets, from what I can see (see the Arya Stark entry, as an example) but it isn't horrible and works very nicely on small devices.

I've pushed some updates to the live site, after trying them on the test site. Still working on whether I can improve the responsiveness of images so they always fit inside a mobile shape.

On 6/27/2018 at 12:19 PM, Switzeran said:

Can you take a screenshot of your device looking at the page? I admit, I have not had that issue on mobile myself. It should shrink the title down to fit pretty much all devices.

I get a result like this.

When I visit the "Recent Changes" page, the title for some reason has a different font than on the other pages, by the way...

On 6/27/2018 at 12:19 PM, Switzeran said:

I think this will be fixed if we can get templates updated to put in the responsive class. Worth hand-editing them to see what happens.

I think that would require editing a lot of pages :)

On 6/27/2018 at 2:51 PM, Switzeran said:

@Rhaenys_Targaryen

I've padded out the infobox text so that it no longer pushes right against the infobox borders.

Looks great! :D Thanks!

On 6/27/2018 at 2:51 PM, Switzeran said:

The issue with text being squeezed down is something I have tried to deal with as well. Not 100% happy with the solution because it does some weird things on tablets, from what I can see (see the Arya Stark entry, as an example) but it isn't horrible and works very nicely on small devices.

I checked the page I originally saw the issue, and it is no longer there either, so I think your fix worked! 

One more thing I noticed, is that when typing in a search term, the wiki no longer makes suggestions as you type (as it used to). Would it be possible to reintroduce that option as well?

28 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I get a result like this.

Interesting. What is this device again? I need to see if I can replicate it. It's supposed to be shrinking down the size of the font below certain sizes.

When I visit the "Recent Changes" page, the title for some reason has a different font than on the other pages, by the way...

Yeah, that's something I'm not sure I can fix as it's due to the fact that special pages such as recent changes use a completely different set of CSS. I'll see if I can do something with it, but it's a minor issue.

I think that would require editing a lot of pages :)

Yes, I fear so as well. I'm trying to see if there's a way to do it with straight CSS. I almost had a result but had to remove it when I discovered it was blowing up small images (like shields) up to fill the screen on mobile. I'll keep tinkering with it.

One more thing I noticed, is that when typing in a search term, the wiki no longer makes suggestions as you type (as it used to). Would it be possible to reintroduce that option as well?

It suggests for me, at least on desktop. Did it really suggest on mobile before?

20 hours ago, Switzeran said:

Interesting. What is this device again? I need to see if I can replicate it. It's supposed to be shrinking down the size of the font below certain sizes.

Mobile, Android 8.0.0

20 hours ago, Switzeran said:

It suggests for me, at least on desktop. Did it really suggest on mobile before?

I haven't checked on my desktop yet, but on mobile it doesn't work. It used to, though, on the old wiki. Was quite a useful feature :)

1 hour ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I see the same thing as @Nittanian. Here is an example.

Interesting. For a moment it is italic, and then it isn't. I can't quite figure out why, but obviously something to do with the CSS.

As to search, from what I can tell, Mediawiki's autocompletion for desktop uses AJAX to do its job, whereas the Mobile Frontend extension uses an alternative method. Since we no longer use MobileFrontend, for now at least on mobile autocompletion won't work. However, Mediawiki has fairly recently released its own responsive skin, Timeless, and it's likely that they're working on changing search so that it can use a method that mobile devices can use. I'll look more into this. Possibly there's already a modification or beta somewhere that has a mobile-friendly autocompletion.

16 hours ago, Switzeran said:

As to search, from what I can tell, Mediawiki's autocompletion for desktop uses AJAX to do its job, whereas the Mobile Frontend extension uses an alternative method. Since we no longer use MobileFrontend, for now at least on mobile autocompletion won't work. However, Mediawiki has fairly recently released its own responsive skin, Timeless, and it's likely that they're working on changing search so that it can use a method that mobile devices can use. I'll look more into this. Possibly there's already a modification or beta somewhere that has a mobile-friendly autocompletion.

Great!

On 6/28/2018 at 1:27 AM, Switzeran said:

Is anyone having the ad that's at top popping into the left corner if your window is under a certain size, or if you resize the window to said size? Something like this: https://gyazo.com/e41bfefa16efd49abcaf05980a4b41c2

I can't replicate it at all but have a report of it and trying to figure out why this is happening.

Just tested this, but this is not happening for me.

I did encounter a sort of similar issue, where on my user sandbox page, where I am slowly building the tables for the complete character list, a banner overlaps with the wiki page itself.

The button that adds/removes pages from the watchlist as well as several other links that are available on the Vector skin are missing. It would be useful to have them back.

Additionally, I'd like to suggest adding the Lua module extension to this wiki, as this would allow to get the latest versions of many standard templates from Wikipedia and adapt them to this wiki.

Finally, on some pages, particularly special pages, the embedded font used for the title does not get loaded.

On 6/30/2018 at 2:39 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Great!

I did encounter a sort of similar issue, where on my user sandbox page, where I am slowly building the tables for the complete character list, a banner overlaps with the wiki page itself.

I have removed the right bar banner from User talk pages, which should address this issue.

15 hours ago, Abjiklam said:

The button that adds/removes pages from the watchlist as well as several other links that are available on the Vector skin are missing. It would be useful to have them back.

Additionally, I'd like to suggest adding the Lua module extension to this wiki, as this would allow to get the latest versions of many standard templates from Wikipedia and adapt them to this wiki.

I have added the Scribunto extension, which is what Wikipedia uses for LUA.  There's one small step related to SELinux I haven't done yet, but if you have some means of testing to see if it works without that step, please do feel free to give it a shot.

Finally, on some pages, particularly special pages, the embedded font used for the title does not get loaded.

Yeah, that's because we inject the embedded font into a hook that doesn't apply to non-Main pages. I will look into whether I can fix that somehow. Maybe there's an extension...

1 hour ago, zionius said:

Search suggest drop-down list no long works on Android.

See 

I have so far found one wiki, pathfinderwiki.org, which seems to have solved the issue but they seem to simply have hacked a fix for themselves. I have yet to find a general search that works on mobile devices for Mediawiki. I was hoping to contact the Pathfinder.com maintainers, but haven't had a chance. If anyone knows of any where else that they get wiki search on mobile _without_ the use MobileFrontend (most mediawiki wikis use it, though), feel free to point them out and I'll take a look to see if I can figure out how they've done it.

When click on internal links in the references(eg. https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Viserys_Targaryen#cite_ref-Winds_41-0), it jumps to a higher position than desired, the contents of interest is concealed by the navbar.

Interesting one! I'm pretty sure we can fix this with css, but I will have to figure out how to do it. It needs to top: -50px or so set to anchors of that particular type.

ETA: I've made an attempt at fixing this. Let me know if that works. Probably a neater approach would be to tell it to go to the paragraph within which the cite is contained, but I'm not sure how to do that (if any CSS mavens are around, see MediaWiki:Tweeki.css for css specific to the skin; the latest entry is my fix for the above). As it stands, it just makes sure that the content appears about 100 pixels below the header.

42 minutes ago, Switzeran said:

ETA: I've made an attempt at fixing this. Let me know if that works. Probably a neater approach would be to tell it to go to the paragraph within which the cite is contained, but I'm not sure how to do that (if any CSS mavens are around, see MediaWiki:Tweeki.css for css specific to the skin; the latest entry is my fix for the above). As it stands, it just makes sure that the content appears about 100 pixels below the header.

It works on PC & Android. Though the layout is somewhat distorted after clicking. See https://imgur.com/a/UcrkgiY

Before you made the tweak, internal links for sections actually jumped to the right places(eg.  https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Viserys_Targaryen#Quotes_about_Viserys), So maybe you can somehow make the ref internal links behave like section internal links.

11 minutes ago, zionius said:

It works on PC & Android. Though the layout is somewhat distorted after clicking. See https://imgur.com/a/UcrkgiY

Before you made the tweak, internal links for sections actually jumped to the right places(eg.  https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Viserys_Targaryen#Quotes_about_Viserys), So maybe you can somehow make the ref internal links behave like section internal links.

Hmm. Will look into how those work. Again, if anyone has improvements to the CSS; feel free to suggest them as well! I'm very much a novice.

ETA: I've made another tweak. Let me know if this works now.

Archived