What do you think caused Martin to loose his grip on the material?

Mwm

9 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Yes, I think you might have something there.  His real interest has always been the war of the roses  five kings and the political angle and historical parallels, which is why he expanded that "first book" into 5 books and still counting. This could be part of the reason for the combined expansion+slow down, he's not as vested or interested in the last 2/3.  But still, it HAS been 18 years, time enough to find some workable solutions so at least he could move on and do other things that he actually wants to do, Dunk & Egg, more novellas or whatever.

See I like to think of it this way, I consider the first three books to be very similar in tone to the movie Robocop; possibly my favorite movie of all time. There's violence, action, political corruption and even some great comedy. Likewise I'd like to compare AFFC and ADWD to Robocop 2, which I think is a movie with a lot of great ideas, but non of them really gel together to form a great narrative. Book's 4 and 5 are filled with some really great ideas, but many of them feel very unnecessary and borderline feel like side stories. For example the entire Dorne arc in AFFC; was it interesting seeing Oberyn's family and their reaction to his death, yes, but was it really necessary and did it contribute anything to the story of that book, no. Tyrion being a slave, and Jon's whole subplot with the Karstark girl, Dany's whole obsession with Daario and second marriage, all feel like this to me. Great ideas, but non of them feel like they gel together to form a proper narrative.

With the Meereen arc in particular it just felt like GRRM was spinning wheels. Wars coming to Meereen, nope Dany's getting married to Hizdahr, we now have piece, wait Dany was taken away by a dragon, the wars back on, wait Hizdahr has formed a temporary piece, nope Barristan took over, the wars back on yet again. I didn't hate Meereen at first, but GRRM's inability to make up his mind on what he wanted to do with the place made me hate it. The whole thing just reeks of indInsert other media ecisiveness.

5 hours ago, sifth said:

See I like to think of it this way, I consider the first three books to be very similar in tone to the movie Robocop; possibly my favorite movie of all time. There's violence, action, political corruption and even some great comedy. Likewise I'd like to compare AFFC and ADWD to Robocop 2, which I think is a movie with a lot of great ideas, but non of them really gel together to form a great narrative. Book's 4 and 5 are filled with some really great ideas, but many of them feel very unnecessary and borderline feel like side stories. For example the entire Dorne arc in AFFC; was it interesting seeing Oberyn's family and their reaction to his death, yes, but was it really necessary and did it contribute anything to the story of that book, no. Tyrion being a slave, and Jon's whole subplot with the Karstark girl, Dany's whole obsession with Daario and second marriage, all feel like this to me. Great ideas, but non of them feel like they gel together to form a proper narrative.

With the Meereen arc in particular it just felt like GRRM was spinning wheels. Wars coming to Meereen, nope Dany's getting married to Hizdahr, we now have piece, wait Dany was taken away by a dragon, the wars back on, wait Hizdahr has formed a temporary piece, nope Barristan took over, the wars back on. I didn't hate Meereen at first, but GRRM's inability to make up his mind on what he wanted to do with the place made me hate it. The whole thing just reeks of indecisiveness.

I agree with all of this.  Unfortunately, based on the number of years plus Martin's quotes on the complexity it doesn't sound like he has streamlined things for Winds....assuming it actually is published some day in the future, LOL.

On 12/1/2018 at 10:42 AM, sifth said:

With the Meereen arc in particular it just felt like GRRM was spinning wheels. Wars coming to Meereen, nope Dany's getting married to Hizdahr, we now have piece, wait Dany was taken away by a dragon, the wars back on, wait Hizdahr has formed a temporary piece, nope Barristan took over, the wars back on yet again. I didn't hate Meereen at first, but GRRM's inability to make up his mind on what he wanted to do with the place made me hate it. The whole thing just reeks of indInsert other media ecisiveness.

Have you read this excellent post on Meereen?

https://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/2013/09/27/untangling-the-meereenese-knot-part-i-who-poisoned-the-locusts/

I suspect that all the correct guessing of R+L = J by the collective internet fandom made GRRM more subtle with his hints. 

On 11/23/2018 at 1:21 AM, Werthead said:

Multiple, large-scale (as in, with thousands of responses) polls have repeatedly placed ADWD as the second-best book in the series, with ACoK consistently coming last, so I'm not sure if that's a useful point of comparison (not that I agree with that, I'd rank AGoT as the best book in the series, followed by ASoS, ADWD, ACoK and AFFC).

I'm one of those who rank ADWD #2 right after ASoS.  For me it's the Theon chapters that are simply the best in the entire series.   Now maybe he has lost his writing mojo, if he did it was after ADWD, not before.

1 hour ago, mushroomshirt said:

Have you read this excellent post on Meereen?

https://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/2013/09/27/untangling-the-meereenese-knot-part-i-who-poisoned-the-locusts/

I suspect that all the correct guessing of R+L = J by the collective internet fandom made GRRM more subtle with his hints. 

Saw it ages ago, Only read some of it to be perfectly honest. A lot of it felt like wishful thinking and over analyzing, when it came to the Meereen plot, to somehow justify it's existence. I'd honestly be shocked if half the stuff the author talks about actually happens in the next book. That's just me though, if you wish to think the Meereen arc is important and has a reason to exist, that's cool, but I personally think it's just a massive waste of time and a side story that's gone out of control. To each their own my friend.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:42 PM, sifth said:

Book's 4 and 5 are filled with some really great ideas, but many of them feel very unnecessary and borderline feel like side stories. For example the entire Dorne arc in AFFC; was it interesting seeing Oberyn's family and their reaction to his death, yes, but was it really necessary and did it contribute anything to the story of that book, no. Tyrion being a slave, and Jon's whole subplot with the Karstark girl, Dany's whole obsession with Daario and second marriage, all feel like this to me. Great ideas, but non of them feel like they gel together to form a proper narrative.

The thing is, I think Martin was clear that apart of some overarching themes, he really doesn´t consider individual novels separate stories, but collection of mininovels of their own that aren´t even ment to fit together as such. If this is a good way to write saga as this is another matter.   

I know you want WINDS, and I am going to give it to you… but I am delighted that you stayed with me for this one as well.  Your patience and unflagging support means the world to me.  Enjoy the read.   Me, I am back in my fortress of solitude, and back in Westeros.   It won’t be tomorrow, and it won’t be next week, but you will get the end of A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE.

This has to be the most optimistic GRRM has been about the book in a while...

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:48 AM, sifth said:

Saw it ages ago, Only read some of it to be perfectly honest. A lot of it felt like wishful thinking and over analyzing, when it came to the Meereen plot, to somehow justify it's existence. I'd honestly be shocked if half the stuff the author talks about actually happens in the next book. That's just me though, if you wish to think the Meereen arc is important and has a reason to exist, that's cool, but I personally think it's just a massive waste of time and a side story that's gone out of control. To each their own my friend.

I think it is quite hard to see the point of daenerys story since the end of the first book. Would it be very diferent if she had retained control of thousands of dothriaki and then decided to get some unsullied before invading westeros?

Because we all know she will return to westeros and probably in a short period of time (there aren t many more books left). And unless the fire priests convince all of essos to bow to her or adopt her ideals whatever she has done in essos will be undone pretty fast once she is gone...

17 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

This has to be the most optimistic GRRM has been about the book in a while…

in a month or so he can anounce he will have a co writer for the last book lol, But seriouslly, he is old and rich. I don t see any reason for him to not accept help in order to finish his master piece and give him the freedom to do what he really wants to do. 

Write asoiaf side stories and be involved in tv projects.

15 hours ago, The Dragon has three heads said:

Quite a positive new blog post today, mainly back patting for F & B, but he again teases that WOW is not days not weeks but soon, which to my mind means mid next year or around the time next year.

I read it as if it will be after the show. I guess he'll announce the book around S8 (maybe a 2-3 weeks before it starts, or just after the last episode), and 4-5 months later we'll get the book. *fingers crossed*

It's good that he sounds positive about Winds of Winter for the first time in literally years, but I think it's too much to expect that he's going to get Winds out only a few months after the show wraps.  If he were that close, then it would have made zero sense to spend all that time on Fire and Blood when he could have finished Winds instead.  So, I think he is more than a few months from finishing, but at least for the moment, basking in the glow of his new dictionary, he sounds motivated.

55 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It's good that he sounds positive about Winds of Winter for the first time in literally years, but I think it's too much to expect that he's going to get Winds out only a few months after the show wraps.  If he were that close, then it would have made zero sense to spend all that time on Fire and Blood when he could have finished Winds instead.  So, I think he is more than a few months from finishing, but at least for the moment, basking in the glow of his new dictionary, he sounds motivated.

I don't want to get too optimistic, but posts like that are better than nothing. But then again, he thought he was months away in May 2015. :dunno:

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Apparently F&B reignited him. He's no longer in a slump.

@Ran Isn't that the case?

17 minutes ago, T and A said:

I don't want to be that guy who calls the cops during a party, but I think this means nothing. He has just said what he has said miilions of times: The book is coming. Really, he has not said anything else. Just that he has not give up. 

I think it is undeniable that something changed.

To me it feels like winds was a taboo subject for him after 2015 and in the last months he has made tons of references about the book and finishing it.

However given grrm's several comitments who knows if he will have time to finish it in a short period of time

34 minutes ago, T and A said:

I don't want to be that guy who calls the cops during a party, but I think this means nothing. He has just said what he has said miilions of times: The book is coming. Really, he has not said anything else. Just that he has not give up. 

His tone was more upbeat.  That may mean nothing, or it could at least mean there is some hope.

Archived