What do you think caused Martin to loose his grip on the material?

Mwm

4 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I don't believe he enjoys writing the series anymore, I'm not sure whether there is a point in the future where events will take a turn that he finds more enjoyable...but, again, the 'slog' is of his own creation, and any time he wants to get out of it, all he has to do is write in some time jumps, and voila.  Arya could be back in Westeros the next chapter after Mercy.  If we weren't doing a sojourn with the Dothraki, Dany's first chapter in Winds could be after the battle, and so on and so on.  He wrote himself into a corner, which is hard to understand what his thought process was there in doing the things he did, but he can also write himself back out instead of sticking with the super slow pace. Any time he wishes he can start at Point B. Or C or D.  which is part of what makes the decisions/loss of control so hard to understand.

I suppose he might be having a professional dilemma with that. Sure he can do it, but maybe he doesn't want to do it because he thinks it's a cop out. In that respect he might not be being as honest with himself as he could be and where, with a less established author, the long arm of the editor would step in. But most people are hesitant to upend the golden calf, so...

51 minutes ago, Trefayne said:

I suppose he might be having a professional dilemma with that. Sure he can do it, but maybe he doesn't want to do it because he thinks it's a cop out. In that respect he might not be being as honest with himself as he could be and where, with a less established author, the long arm of the editor would step in. But most people are hesitant to upend the golden calf, so...

Well, if he never regains control of the material and consequently, doesn't finish the series, the failure of his editors to reign in some of these poor decisions will loom very large.  Their failures have already cost them who knows how many millions by having enabled the 'knots' to fester, the author didn't get Winds out in 2013-2016 when it would have been poised for maximum sales.  

It's strange, that he talks of how complex Winds is, when he is the one who made it so, yet his comments it sounds exactly as if he feels he has little to no control over his own story and material.  I do think that he is a 'double down' type of person, so instead of cutting the gordian knot Alexander style and moving back to a faster pace, shedding some of these extraneous POVs, getting back to focus on the main protagonists, I suspect he intends to 'prove' that the diversions from Dance of the Feasting Crows and Dragons were the right choice.  And so, here we all sit.  And he slogs on, and on. 

14 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Their failures have already cost them who knows how many millions by having enabled the 'knots' to fester, the author didn't get Winds out in 2013-2016 when it would have been poised for maximum sales.

Actually, they have another window next year after the show ends and before next Xmas. That is why I think GRRM is holing up and forging ahead in hopes of making this deadline. He has disappointed his publishers for years and he might actually have started to feel bad about it. If he can get it together by the holidays next year, they will rake it in (no matter what it does to move the story).

6 hours ago, Trefayne said:

Actually, they have another window next year after the show ends and before next Xmas. That is why I think GRRM is holing up and forging ahead in hopes of making this deadline. He has disappointed his publishers for years and he might actually have started to feel bad about it. If he can get it together by the holidays next year, they will rake it in (no matter what it does to move the story).

June or July would be ideal: the show just ended, and still in people's mind. Otherwise just before the first episode as HBO's advertising will increase interest in the story.

Fire & Blood definitely benefited from all of the "for the throne" we see on the streets.

4 hours ago, Quaithe from Asshai said:

June or July would be ideal: the show just ended, and still in people's mind. Otherwise just before the first episode as HBO's advertising will increase interest in the story.

Fire & Blood definitely benefited from all of the "for the throne" we see on the streets.

We can certainly hope. Fingers crossed.

Archived