Match Day 9: Brazil v Costa Rica; Nigeria v Iceland; Serbia v Switzerland

All today's teams (potentially bar Serbia) have got very strong motivation to go for three points.

Hopefully that will be reflected in the quality and entertainment value of the games. 

This WC has been mostly underwhelming so far, with a lot of the goals coming from VAR pens, set pieces and scrappy tap-ins. 

Coutinho saves Brazil once again. Douglas Costa made a huge impact as well. Willian should be warming the bench from now on - Douglas Costa just adds so much more dynamism. I'm kinda glad that Brazil have won and in a good position to qualify. Having watched Mourinho-ball for two seasons, I'm properly fed up of park-the-bus teams.

2 hours ago, Mme Erzulie said:

All today's teams (potentially bar Serbia) have got very strong motivation to go for three points.

Hopefully that will be reflected in the quality and entertainment value of the games. 

This WC has been mostly underwhelming so far, with a lot of the goals coming from VAR pens, set pieces and scrappy tap-ins. 

Trust me, Serbia has a very strong motivation to go for the win. Media have made sure of that. They have made so much noise about several players of Albanian descent (some of them from Kosovo) playing for Switzerland, it's disgusting.

I can't wait for this match to be over so we can go back to football.

2 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Retrospective ban for Neymar, please. His level of simulation is outrageous!

Yeah, his simulation of a generational-elite player is one of the greatest lon-cons in football history.

5 minutes ago, el tío de Vale(ncia) said:

Even more concerningly, it means Argentina can still qualify on their own, just by winning against Nigeria. 

That's not a concern if Argentina play against Nigeria like they did against Croatia.

It was considered by all that Nigeria will easily be last in this group after we saw their first match.

Now they may only need a draw against Argentina to advance if Croatia dont lose.

This missed penalty could cost Iceland on goal difference. They will have a chance against Croatia since even yesterday the Croatian manager said he will likely rest a lot of players and give a chance to others. The likes of Modric and Lovren who played the CL final will be rested i guess and some players with yellow cards as well.

So this group kinda proved to be the group of death since it will be very unpredictable who goes through as second. It could be the group of death of Messi. Argentina do have a chance if they rally in morale now and make some lineup changes but Croatia has little reason to help them. Both because this secures them first place and they will feature some subs and because they may remember what kind of attitude Argentina gave them in their match.

10 minutes ago, el tío de Vale(ncia) said:

Considering how good Croatia is right now - yes, it probably is.

Even more concerningly, it means Argentina can still qualify on their own, just by winning against Nigeria.

Can’t Iceland get in if they win and have a better goal differential?

Archived