Match Day 9: Brazil v Costa Rica; Nigeria v Iceland; Serbia v Switzerland

10 minutes ago, Eusebio da Silva ljkeane said:

In fairness Brazil beat Croatia about 2 weeks ago.

Croatia have played well but Nigeria aren’t particularly good and Argentina were dire. The reality is they’ve got a couple of really good players in midfield in Modric and Rakitic and other than that they’ve got an ok but not great defence and an ok but not great attack. At some point I’d expect them to meet one of the more talented teams who’ve hit their stride and they’ll probably struggle.

Exactly. They've got a world class midfield that's allowed them to outplay one team who don't really play through midfield and one who didn't even bother trying to contest it for some reason. They'll have a lot more trouble against teams who can contest them there and also challenge their defence.

Shaqiri's been really good in this second half.

5 hours ago, baxusalah said:

Trust me, Serbia has a very strong motivation to go for the win. Media have made sure of that. They have made so much noise about several players of Albanian descent (some of them from Kosovo) playing for Switzerland, it's disgusting. 

I can't wait for this match to be over so we can go back to football.

I bet the fact that the goals were scored by Xhaka and Shaqiri has gone down really well with the shitstirrers in question.

I only heard about the Albanian connections in the Swiss side yesterday (I think in the Totally Football Show podcast) but damn if that didn't add some incredible drama to that tie.

I know we should probably not want there to be any politics in the World Cup picture, but to see something like that is kind of special.

One of the commentators on Norwegian TV said that Xhaka's father was in prison for three years for protesting against the Serbian government and that Shaqiri's family fled to Switzerland from Kosovo when he was a baby.

Must have felt quite special for both of those lads to score tonight.

On 6/22/2018 at 10:05 PM, Fellaining Da Bruyne said:

I bet the fact that the goals were scored by Xhaka and Shaqiri has gone down really well with the shitstirrers in question.

I hope the shitstirrers in question choke on it, it would only serve them right.

The worst part of it all is not that our team lost the match, it's that they let themselves get suckered into this whole mess around the match, just like they did in qualifiers against Albania, and against Croatia on several occasions in the past. And it's not limited to football, and it's getting super annoying.

In addition, our team is wasting energy trying to blame the ref for not giving that penalty when Mitrovic was rugby-tackled, complaining about goal celebrations from Xhaka and Shaqiri and things like that instead of focusing on the Brazil match.

In related but completely weird news, apparently Lichtsteiner also celebrated the goal like that so he's under investigation by FIFA.

On 6/22/2018 at 10:46 PM, Mme Erzulie said:

One of the commentators on Norwegian TV said that Xhaka's father was in prison for three years for protesting against the Serbian government and that Shaqiri's family fled to Switzerland from Kosovo when he was a baby.

Must have felt quite special for both of those lads to score tonight.

1. There was no "Serbian government" at the time, since it was still Yugoslavia and a fair number of Serbian people were in jail for doing the same thing.

2. Shaqiri's family left Kosovo before all the crap that started and they can not be considered refugees or something like that. They left Serbia for economic reasons, once again, just like many people in Serbia those days.

I find it stupid to punish players for celebrating goals.

On the other hand, if FIFA insists on separating sports and politics, then they couldn't let it slide and it would be insane to ban players for the next match. Fine is a nice middle ground between those two and I guess it's all done now. I don't know the amounts, though.

Archived