Luke Cage II - No Spoilers

The BlackBear

How about we keep spoilers in tags for the first week?

Episode 3

Spoiler

Damn, really leaning into the Luke Cage being angry thing.

Loving Bushmaster.

Shades and Mariah still kind of elude me, I feel I'm struggling to get what they see in the other.

Soundtrack still on fire.

The showrunner said there were a lot of women involved in this season, from writing to directing.  And WOO! Lucy Liu directs the first episode!  I am stoked about that.  She's so cool.  Her Joan Watson is one of my top five characters of the last 5 years too.

Episode 6

Spoiler

Nice moment between Luke and Piranha (who I love) about fathers.

I still feel everything Shades says is nonsense. I hope the Comanche relationship revelations pays off, otherwise it feels like sticking it in for the sake of it. It should be important.

I am really enjoying this, but as a white Englishman I suspect I'm missing a lot of the nuance, so hope this is playing well to African American audiences.

Edit: Oh and fucking Ghostface Killah!

Finished ep 2.

Spoiler

I really wish a hero, and that includes protagonists who aren't superheroes too, would not destroy the home of a poor woman who has by saving and scrimping and struggling put together the nicest things she could manage.  When they are this strong these guys could at least drag their opponent out into the hallway or the street.  She can't afford to replace her furniture, get a new door and windows, etc.

The music is outstanding.

Episode 13 (yes, I fastforwarded a ton. I was bored, sue me)

Spoiler

Luke goes full godfather after Mariah gets killed by Tilda. About fucking time she died. Having your henchman tell Claire to go home? Yeah, no way in hell Rosario Dawson is coming back for Marvel again. Tilda could be an interesting villain for the future, but id rather have her as a gray character instead.

30 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Finished ep 2.

Hide contents

I really wish a hero, and that includes protagonists who aren't superheroes too, would not destroy the home of a poor woman who has by saving and scrimping and struggling put together the nicest things she could manage.  When they are this strong these guys could at least drag their opponent out into the hallway or the street.  She can't afford to replace her furniture, get a new door and windows, etc.

Mild Tonal Ep 8 spoilers.

Spoiler

It's rarely focused on seriously (it's window dressing in Civil War, and BvS) but the collateral damage of vigilantism is a subject I think deserves attention in the genre. Violent solutions are sticking plasters at best. Luke being a furious man seems to kind of be being dropped which is disappointing.

Episode 8

Spoiler

Fucking hell that shop shootout was awful. Two trained police detectives, and a three gangsters at point blank range and no one can hit anyone?

The scene with Mariah and Shades in the ashes was lovely.

Ben Donovan is my Favourite. He's one of the regular crossover guys, and is a comic character. Still waiting for Turk's cameo btw.

1 hour ago, The BelgianBear said:

Mild Tonal Ep 8 spoilers.

Hide contents

It's rarely focused on seriously (it's window dressing in Civil War, and BvS) but the collateral damage of vigilantism is a subject I think deserves attention in the genre. Violent solutions are sticking plasters at best. Luke being a furious man seems to kind of be being dropped which is disappointing.

Spoiler

Is it dropped then?  Because ep 2 was a lot about his unresolved furies -- and there are several targets -- and the extra consequence of him simultaneously thinking himself invulnerable.  These are two very dangerous qualities to have running in tandem.  Nobody has ever yet driven that team successfully.

Alas that I can't watch any more.  Off for a shift on a helpline for stolen children.

22 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Damn, you people are fast. Anyone want to give me the non-spoiler reaction to the villain(s)? Also I thought a good chunk of season 1 had some corny lines and scenes.. any improvement over Season 1?

Villains: Their plotlines drag on too long.

Improvement: Misty Knight is great, much better than she was in season 1 and in Defenders.

3 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

So after having just finished it, the big question I have is: In the MCU, does Ghostface Killah still use the Tony Starks moniker? And did he still release an album titled Ironman in '96?

Yes, in this cinematic universe he got the moniker from being an endurance athlete.

5 1/2 episodes in: this season is gorgeously shot.  I love the opening up of the locations to include Brooklyn and Queens. -- though, dayem! it's a long travel time from up there down to Crown Heights, which isn't conveyed.

The music -- the music is outstanding and spectacular.  Though in some ways it's sad that it is decor and commentary, not a 'thing' to itself, the way it was in Simon's Treme.  But it does help make for the season's gorgeous decor, detailing the color and tone palette of the cinematography.

I'm really digging Misty -- but all the female characters are -- so far -- fascinating.  Actually, I find them a lot more interesting than Luke, and certainly more interesting than that silly-named Bushmaster, to be honest.   Does that constitute and unpopular opinion? :hat:

I'm on episode 9 and this season has been a massive improvement over S1, the Defenders, Iron Fist, and JJ S2 (which I haven't finished yet). I'm not sure if my expectations going in were so low as to guarantee success, but I am pleasantly surprised.

The music, the sound quality, and the visuals of the Harlem's Paradise music scenes are fantastic. Completely agree with @Zorral. I'm ready to buy the soundtrack or subscribe to the Spotify channel that can expose me to more music like this. 

The humor is the 2nd best part. Most of the jokes are hitting home. Piranha in particular gives Clay Davis a run for his money. The Game of Thrones reference was also funny.. and it still amazes me how pervasive the books and show have become in modern pop culture. Also the Usain Bolt trope worked for me.

I grew up in a Brooklyn neighborhood that went from a Jewish / Italian neighborhood to a Caribbean / Jamaican one over the course of about 12 years. They capture a lot of the "neighborhood" culture very well particularly on the Jamaican front. I went out of my way yesterday to buy some beef patties and fried plantains after binging several episodes. I'm still pining for oxtail stew and goat curry. The show definitely reminds me of how much I miss Brooklyn having not been back in several years.

General spoilers through E9 about things I didn't like or didn't warm to.

Spoiler

The Shades and Mariah love angle doesn't feel natural. From the age difference, to the character personalities, to the lack of chemistry, it doesn't work for me as plausible.

I liked the Comanche plotline but felt it wasn't utilized to it's full potential. He could have been a nice B-plot character like Colt from Justified. Shades's motivations and actions don't quite work for me either especially when taken with his interactions with Mariah.

I thought 13 episodes would be too much for a season but it's holding up okay. Some of the scenes plod along but it could be a lot worse. Mariah's turbulent rise, fall, rise again feels a little rushed, along with her leader, victim, leader again persona changes. Doesn't feel organic enough. 

I'm liking Bushmaster and I think it's because this is a Bushmaster vs Maria 'Stokes' story instead of a bad guy vs Luke Cage story. It changes the dynamic in a fresh way.

Got through episode 9 last night too.  Still liking it.  First season I bailed about episode 6 -- when it turned all comic book all the time bam boom wham.  But this season the primaries, if not necessarily the male villains, still seem like humans rather than supers, and thus are more dimensional, which what creates interest.  This includes both Luke and Misty -- they seem more human, rather than less.  At least so far.

Among the writing niggles I have is this:

Spoiler

Having a character named Shades and having nighSHADE such a central substance, and I've heard that Tilda is actually a supe called Nighshade.  Is that right?  In any case this violates good writing; for this to operate successfully, it would have to be structural in some way, by having more shade.  So either there should be more or there should be less -- in my opinion, of course.

BTW, did anyone else kinda sit up when Bushmaster describes his identity as 

Spoiler

"I am the stone the builder refused . . . ."

And think, "Dayme, I miss Huey and the first couple seasons of Boondocks!"

Archived