Sign in to follow this  
Mwm

Is Ser Arthur Dayne considered the best sword fighter in Westeros history?

Posted (edited)

Jaime obviously had a very high opinion of him, but Martin said it would be a toss up between him an selmy without Dawn.

Then in the world book there a lot of mentions of the best fighters of their age...Daemon Blackfyre, the Dragonknight.

Edited by Mwm

1 minute ago, Mwm said:

Jaime obviously had a very high opinion of him, but Martin said it would be a toss up between him an selmy without Dawn.

Then in the world book there a lot of mentions of the best fighters of their age...Daemon Blackfyre, the Dragonknight.

Martin said Jaime is one of the greatest swordsmen in Westerosi history. Since Arthur Dayne was by most accounts better than Jaime, he was better than one of the greatest swordsmen in Westerosi history. Making him a definite contender for best ever.

But, before Lord Varys comes hounding me with his passionate “we don’t know” crusade, let me just add that of course we don’t know for sure.

4 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

But, before Lord Varys comes hounding me with his passionate “we don’t know” crusade, let me just add that of course we don’t know for sure.

This is what I was wondering, if it’s just a toss up in accounts or if there was a standard...

Posted (edited)

Well, we don't know but neither can out guys in Westeros. Did Maegor the Cruel meet Arthur Dayne to check his abilities? Or did Dunk and the Dragonknight ever meet each other?

No.

People can only judge the abilities of the people they knew - some men, like Selmy, have met and judge the abilities of a lot of warriors, so if he Arthur Dayne was better than Ser Duncan the Tall (in his later years) or Gregor Clegane would have been no match against Maelys the Monstrous then I would take his opinion on such matters seriously.

Aside from that, every generation of knights would have 'the best knights of Westerosi history' and the best of those (or that with the largest fame) would then enter the pantheon of the greatest knights ever among who many Kingsguard, royal princes, great knights and lords, etc. find themselves.

The latter are those we learn about, those who end up being mentioned alongside the legendary heroes in song and story.

Edited by Lord Varys

A better question might be why he was so good, ie if Dayne was a good swordsman because he was a supernaturally good swordsman. I think we've all accepted the idea that being a particularly good animal-handler can be a sign of magical abilities, latent or otherwise, but I don't know if a supernatural affinity for combat has ever been seriously discussed.