Best historical fiction for HUGE ASOIAF fan...

Mwm

I’ve gotten the Accursed King series by Maurice Druon and Thomas B. Costains Plantagenet Series(Which George said he based Fire And Blood on...) And the Saxon Tales by Bernard Cornwell.

These are the only ones I can find that Martin himself explicitly said he was inspired by.

Anything else?

11 minutes ago, Marko Antonivic said:

Sharon Kay Penman

Colleen McCulloughs Masters of Rome

Bernard Cornwell

Mary Renault’s Alexander trilogy

Is Sharon Kay Penman still worth it after Thomas B. Costains Plantagenet Series? (I’m assuming her books are based on their reigns as well-correct me if I’m wrong)

Robert Merle's Fortunes of France series set during the Wars of Religion is finally being translated into English, but I believe only one or two of the novels have been so far.

7 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series is fucking rad.

Now we might be getting somewhere.

What is it that makes it so rad, especially in the fucking sense? 1800 navy novels wouldn’t normally appeal to me...

15 hours ago, Mwm said:

Now we might be getting somewhere.

What is it that makes it so rad, especially in the fucking sense? 1800 navy novels wouldn’t normally appeal to me...

They are extremely well written and often quite humorous. 

He didn't ask for good books (though my impression is you're waaay out on a limb re: Dunnett? I've only read the first Lymond...).

He asked for  books "Martin himself explicitly said he was inspired by", for which, if I recall, Dunnett fits quite perfectly.

21 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Eh, I don’t think Martin could have been inspired by The Saxon Tales, unless time has started working funny.

Oops I kinda just answered the title of the post and not the last sentence. Just threw out some of my favorites, don’t think Martin was influenced by any of them.

Archived