Jump to content
Euron III Greyjoy

Skinchanging into a baby?

Recommended Posts

Whilst I don't think this will occur in any of the books, I was wondering if it would be possible for a Skinchanger to take over the body of a baby for his or her second life. We find out through the Varamyr prologue chapter that it's very difficult to take control of another human, as they have the ability to resist. We do know however that it's possible because Bran does this to Hodor constantly when he wants to walk around. This confirms that the more simple minded the person, the easier it is. So I feel like a baby would be easy to skinchange into. 

Lets set up a hypothetical situation here. When Jon Snow gets stabbed at Castle Black, and lets say for arguments sake that he definitely died, could he then skinchange into lets say Gilly's baby, and live out the rest of his life with a new body? 

 

Edited by EloImFizzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2018 at 2:43 PM, EloImFizzy said:

Whilst I don't think this will occur in any of the books, I was wondering if it would be possible for a Skinchanger to take over the body of a baby for his or her second life. We find out through the Varamyr prologue chapter that it's very difficult to take control of another human, as they have the ability to resist. We do know however that it's possible because Bran does this to Hodor constantly when he wants to walk around. This confirms that the more simple minded the person, the easier it is. So I feel like a baby would be easy to skinchange into. 

Lets set up a hypothetical situation here. When Jon Snow gets stabbed at Castle Black, and lets say for arguments sake that he definitely died, could he then skinchange into lets say Gilly's baby, and live out the rest of his life with a new body? 

 

That is a great hypothetical. I would say yes, because I see no reason why not. It would make for an incredibly intelligent child. If this did happen, would the person retain the ability to skin change in to other animals and still revert back to the baby?

Edited by Legitimate_Bastard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

That is a great hypothetical. I would see yes, because I see no reason why not. It would make for an incredibly intelligent child. If this did happen, would the person retain the ability to skin change in to other animals and revert back to the baby?

I think the child that he skinchanged into would also need to have the skinchanger ability. Hell maybe that's what Bloodraven wants with Bran, maybe his old body is finally dying so he needs a younger body that also has the greenseer ability. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible that Bloodraven already did this with Coldhands? Reason I say this is becuase of the fact Coldhands rides an elk, and that green men are known to also ride elk. Plus, Leaf says that Bloodraven "has lived beyond his mortal span, and yet he lingers" and also says of Coldhands "They killed him long ago". Could Bloodraven have skinchanged in to Coldhands so he has a literal set of legs and kept him 'alive' enough to use? 

Edited by Legitimate_Bastard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Is it possible that Bloodraven already did this with Coldhands? Reason I say this is becuase of the fact Coldhands rides an elk, and that green men are known to also ride elk. Plus, Leaf says that Bloodraven "has lived beyond his mortal span, and yet he lingers" and also says of Coldhands "They killed him long ago". Could Bloodraven have skinchanged in to Coldhands so he has a literal set of legs and kept him 'alive' enough to use? 

That could be the case, it might also be a setup for Jon. Maybe whilst Jon is warged into Ghost his body gets risen as a Wight, and then he wargs back into his body taking back control from the Others. From what we can tell the bodies of Wights don't rot, as long as they are in a cold climate, so Jon might essentially be immortal. Well immortal in the sense he won't age, he could still be killed. Maybe that's the bittersweet ending GRRM has in mind. Jon does defeat the Others, but he can never go home to Winterfell because his body would eventually start to rot, so he has to stay in the Lands of Always Winter. 

To be honest I don't see this happening, its incredibly tinfoil, but it's fun to come up with possible solutions to Jon's resurrection. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EloImFizzy said:

To be honest I don't see this happening, its incredibly tinfoil, but it's fun to come up with possible solutions to Jon's resurrection. 

Yeah I am with you - I don't see that happening either. Although I don't think that Melisandre will resurrect him either - I could see the COTF having a hand in bringing him back though. Somehow. Maybe Bran sees it and performs some intervention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Yeah I am with you - I don't see that happening either. Although I don't think that Melisandre will resurrect him either - I could see the COTF having a hand in bringing him back though. Somehow. Maybe Bran sees it and performs some intervention.

I'm hoping that this is when Bran either tells or shows Jon that he is Rhaegar and Lyanna's son. We saw in the Varamyr prologue chapter that once he died his consciousness went into a weirwood first before going into his wolf. When his mind is in a tree Bran or Bloodraven might talk to him, either about his parents or some way to beat the Others, or their origin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, EloImFizzy said:

I'm hoping that this is when Bran either tells or shows Jon that he is Rhaegar and Lyanna's son. We saw in the Varamyr prologue chapter that once he died his consciousness went into a weirwood first before going into his wolf. When his mind is in a tree Bran or Bloodraven might talk to him, either about his parents or some way to beat the Others, or their origin. 

I would enjoy something like that. The Weirwoods and the COTF are surely going to be involved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2018 at 9:43 PM, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

Whilst I don't think this will occur in any of the books, I was wondering if it would be possible for a Skinchanger to take over the body of a baby for his or her second life. We find out through the Varamyr prologue chapter that it's very difficult to take control of another human, as they have the ability to resist. We do know however that it's possible because Bran does this to Hodor constantly when he wants to walk around. This confirms that the more simple minded the person, the easier it is. So I feel like a baby would be easy to skinchange into. 

Lets set up a hypothetical situation here. When Jon Snow gets stabbed at Castle Black, and lets say for arguments sake that he definitely died, could he then skinchange into lets say Gilly's baby, and live out the rest of his life with a new body? 

 

Great question, but what about the baby grows up and starts to resist? Will he show signs of personality disorder due to being occupied by a Skinchanger? Or will Jon continue to live through body of babies? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Jova Snow said:

Great question, but what about the baby grows up and starts to resist? Will he show signs of personality disorder due to being occupied by a Skinchanger? Or will Jon continue to live through body of babies? 

It depends, there are so many things we don't know when it comes to skinchanging. We do know that the gift of skinchanging isn't transferable, so if Gilly's baby didn't have the gift, then Jon would be stuck in his body forever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

It depends, there are so many things we don't know when it comes to skinchanging. We do know that the gift of skinchanging isn't transferable, so if Gilly's baby didn't have the gift, then Jon would be stuck in his body forever. 

But what if Gilly's baby or babies of Craster is important for their blood and that's why Craster sacrifice his sons? We don't know who fathered Craster after all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jova Snow said:

But what if Gilly's baby or babies of Craster is important for their blood and that's why Craster sacrifice his sons? We don't know who fathered Craster after all. 

That's why I said "if they don't have the gift", if they do then Jon could then presumably skinchange into someone else again. Hell, maybe that's what Bloodraven wants Bran for, his body is so old it is probably shutting down, so he might need a new body that also has the greenseer ability, if that thing in the tree is even Bloodraven at all, there might've been a previous greenseer that lured Bloodraven to the cave and then took over his body. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

That's why I said "if they don't have the gift", if they do then Jon could then presumably skinchange into someone else again. Hell, maybe that's what Bloodraven wants Bran for, his body is so old it is probably shutting down, so he might need a new body that also has the greenseer ability, if that thing in the tree is even Bloodraven at all, there might've been a previous greenseer that lured Bloodraven to the cave and then took over his body. 

The plot thickens you say, it was always interesting for me that cave of Bloodraven is so omnious and so tied to House of Black and White, I would want Bran to get out of there and I am hopeful he will stay as Bran after reading the Mercy sample chapter from TWOW 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2018 at 8:43 PM, Euron III Greyjoy said:

Whilst I don't think this will occur in any of the books, I was wondering if it would be possible for a Skinchanger to take over the body of a baby for his or her second life. We find out through the Varamyr prologue chapter that it's very difficult to take control of another human, as they have the ability to resist. We do know however that it's possible because Bran does this to Hodor constantly when he wants to walk around. This confirms that the more simple minded the person, the easier it is. So I feel like a baby would be easy to skinchange into. 

Lets set up a hypothetical situation here. When Jon Snow gets stabbed at Castle Black, and lets say for arguments sake that he definitely died, could he then skinchange into lets say Gilly's baby, and live out the rest of his life with a new body? 

 

It's possible yes. But I think for Jon to skinchange into Gilly's baby the boy has to be there. Remember Varamyr six skin when he wanted to take the woman's body he had to wait for her to get there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2018 at 12:34 PM, Jova Snow said:

Great question, but what about the baby grows up and starts to resist? Will he show signs of personality disorder due to being occupied by a Skinchanger? Or will Jon continue to live through body of babies? 

Or would an adult in the form of an infant give themselves away?  Varamyr's father sent him away as soon as he realized his son was too dangerous to live in a normal population.  Why would an adult skinchanger make themselves so helpless and vulnerable?  They would be killed for an abomination as soon as it was discovered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2018 at 6:02 PM, Jova Snow said:

But what if Gilly's baby or babies of Craster is important for their blood and that's why Craster sacrifice his sons? We don't know who fathered Craster after all. 

 

Quote

A Dance with Dragons - Bran III

Something about the look of it made Bran feel ill. The red veins were only weirwood sap, he supposed, but in the torchlight they looked remarkably like blood. He dipped the spoon into the paste, then hesitated. "Will this make me a greenseer?"

"Your blood makes you a greenseer," said Lord Brynden. "This will help awaken your gifts and wed you to the trees."

Bran did want to be married to a tree … but who else would wed a broken boy like him? A thousand eyes, a hundred skins, wisdom deep as the roots of ancient trees. A greenseer.

Craster's babes are left to the Cold (old) Gods -- more evidence implying the Others are greenseer-skinchangers.

Quote

A Storm of Swords - Samwell II

"They?" said Sam, and the raven cocked its black head and echoed, "They. They. They."

"The boy's brothers," said the old woman on the left. "Craster's sons. The white cold's rising out there, crow. I can feel it in my bones. These poor old bones don't lie. They'll be here soon, the sons."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×