I didn’t think the dragon/white walker stuff would be the same in Winds until I realized:

Mwm

One of the biggest things George emphasizes in the books is that people’s downfalls can be largely caused by their own mistakes-Ned, Robb.

So Jon and Dany directly causing the invasion of the white walkers by giving them a dragon fits so well with George giving the middle finger to fans expectations.

It also explains why:

They haven’t invaded before now

If Aegon turns out to be fake, so only Jon-Dany-night King as dragon riders.

How the wall comes down.

Plotting of green seer white walkers

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2018 at 10:24 PM, Lucius Lovejoy said:

@Mwm you could be right here, but I imagine the mechanics of how the Others get an ice dragon would be completely different in the books.  No way do I see a wight hunt happening on GRRM's watch.

Agree on the wight hunt. No way it happens in the book. But as far as OP's statements, that's true. There is some sense there.

there is a theory that the horn of winter which is supposed to bring down the Wall is actually a dragonbinder horn. I could see a "horn hunt" instead (perhaps guided by Melisandre visions) which leads to the Others getting it a Viserion un-dying, leading to fall of the Wall

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:24 AM, Lucius Lovejoy said:

@Mwm you could be right here, but I imagine the mechanics of how the Others get an ice dragon would be completely different in the books.  No way do I see a wight hunt happening on GRRM's watch.

Even though he claims to be a gardener, GRRM litters his books with foreshadowing.  The Last Hero is an interesting tale.  Was the Wight hunt a homage to the tale?  Or is the story of the Last Hero foreshadowing of a quest beyond the wall in current times?  And what is that quest?  The Last Hero went to find the Children.

I personally think it is more likely that Jon would have found out that Bran is still alive beyond the Wall and sets out to rescue him.  Dany could then come to Jon's rescue and lose a Dragon that way.

52 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

Don't suppose you have a link for that?

D&D themselves discussed it in the behind the scenes after the episode, about how they were inspired by Alliser going to KL with that wights hand to prove their existence to King Joffrey.

Archived