Do you like ballet?

Feologild

I have a slight obsession with Sergei Polunin.  I find classical ballet to be rather boring and repetitive.  I like the more raw, freestyle stuff.  I've become quite fond of watching Hiplet on youtube.  

When I was six or something like that, a neighbour took her son, me and my sister to watch Swan Lake. It was (and still is) by far the most excruciatingly boring experience of my life. As a result, I have never seen ballet after that and have no desire to.

I really like ballet. Its gracefulness, athleticism, it is just captivating...

I had enjoyed watching Svetlana Zakharova while she danced. Her performance in "Swan Lake" is out-worldly.

On 6/27/2018 at 10:52 PM, Tears of Lys said:

I greatly respect its athleticism.   I tend to go for more modern dance, however. 

A combo can be exquisite. I have watched some people using modern music and sounds with ballet as basis. I like to google internet with some interesting music like Zimmer's Pirate of The Carribean's theme or Mansell's Lux Aeterna and see ballet performances to those.

On 6/23/2018 at 4:40 AM, Scott de Montevideo! said:

I appreciate ballet (and Opera) but they are art forms I go out of my way to see.

I like how Opera and Ballet can make you feel nice. Going out to theater to see opera for me always feel like stepping into a different world... :D 

I think it has to do with tuxedos :D 

4 hours ago, Risto said:

I had enjoyed watching Svetlana Zakharova while she danced. Her performance in "Swan Lake" is out-worldly.

I am so envious you saw her dance! And Swan Lake at that!

I was quite fortunate growing up in NYC to see a lot of ballet and as part of that, the great Soviet dancers at the time.  My absolute favorite at the time was Natalia Makarova. Her movements when she would transform from human to swan in Swan Lake were pretty amazing. Also very fortunate to see the likes of Rudolf Nureyev and Mikhail Baryshnikov when they were in their primes.

Classical ballet is probably my favorite but that has a lot to do with loving the music as much as the dance.  Romeo & Juliet's music by Prokofiev is probably my favorite.  But I do try to go see some more modern pieces from time to time. I don't see as much ballet these days as I did in my youth. Mostly a time issue.  We do get a fair amount of dance in Chicago with local groups and tours so I do see a few performances a year.

Somewhere in the back of my mind is always the dancing I saw when I was young, it just seemed the Soviet trained dancers had something I just don't see these days.  There was a bit of controversy the other month with a video of Misty Copeland dancing in Swan Lake in a performance in Singapore and how she didn't dance the choreographed 32 fouette turns but did some other dance movements instead. I watched the video of her performance and it was pleasing but then I found video of Makarova dancing that same part where she did the 32 fouette turns and it was fantastic.  I guess I feel the dancers I see these days are proficient but not great and I'm sort of waiting for the opportunity to see a really great dancer again.

2 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

I am so envious you saw her dance! And Swan Lake at that!

Yes, she was somewhat regular guest in Belgrade. Between 2009 and 2015, I think she had 4,5 performances in Belgrade in that time and I remember making sure I see her.

I was saddened to see her politics tarnishing her name. There was a controversy over her donation to Kiev Ballet School due to her connections with Putin.

I have also enjoyed watching Silivia Azzoni and Alexander Riabko in "Lady of the Camelias"

Speaking of contemporary ballet, Denis Untila in "Les bourgeois" by Jacques Brel is also something worthy of seeing. And his dance to Queen's "Feeling Good" - AMAZING. I've heard he is a choreographer now. 

3 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

I was quite fortunate growing up in NYC to see a lot of ballet and as part of that, the great Soviet dancers at the time.  My absolute favorite at the time was Natalia Makarova. Her movements when she would transform from human to swan in Swan Lake were pretty amazing. Also very fortunate to see the likes of Rudolf Nureyev and Mikhail Baryshnikov when they were in their primes.

And I am so envious of this :D One of the reasons why I have always liked New York is its cultural scene. It is not just about Hollywood movies... It is just the core of American cultural and intellectual life. 

3 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

Somewhere in the back of my mind is always the dancing I saw when I was young, it just seemed the Soviet trained dancers had something I just don't see these days.  There was a bit of controversy the other month with a video of Misty Copeland dancing in Swan Lake in a performance in Singapore and how she didn't dance the choreographed 32 fouette turns but did some other dance movements instead. I watched the video of her performance and it was pleasing but then I found video of Makarova dancing that same part where she did the 32 fouette turns and it was fantastic.  I guess I feel the dancers I see these days are proficient but not great and I'm sort of waiting for the opportunity to see a really great dancer again.

I think it is all about style. Modern dances tend to go very visceral, you can see the hardship behind it. In classical ballet, they moved so gracefully, you never had the idea they were choreographed. It was very fluent. You saw the grace, but not the blood and sweat behind it.

I saw the Bolshoi Ballet (on tour) as a child and loved it. Now I like some, I don’t know what the technical terms are, but ballet that’s fused with other forms of dance, but I don’t think I would want to watch the nutcracker for example.

Archived