Other unorthodox books like Cloud Atlas?

Mwm

On 6/25/2018 at 5:56 PM, Astromech said:

I did a little google search on unique novels and now I've added Julio Cortazor's Hopscotch to my TBR list.

Everyone should add Hopscotch to their TBR list, it’s a fucking brilliant novel.

To the OP; are you looking for unorthodox structures or unorthodox narratives? If it’s unorthodox narratives you’re afrter you should try the Magic Realists; Salman Rushdie, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Gunter Grass, Haruki Murakami. If it’s unorthodox structure you want, I’d recommend Rushdie’s The Satanic Verses and The Enchantress of Florence, and most especially Mikhail Bulgakov’s The Master and Margarita.

+10 to Master and Margarita

also two magically postmodern novels from the early 19th century:

Jan Potocki: The manuscript found in Saragossa,

E.T.A. Hoffmann: The Life and Opinions of the Tomcat Murr

Besides Rayuela/Hopscotch, I'd throw in Cortázar's 62:  A Model Kit, just about everything by Milorad Pavić, Goran Petrović's An Atlas Traced by the Sky, some of Roberto Bolaño's works, like 2666, Rabelais, Leonora Carrington's works, and while technically "normal" in structure, there is quite a bit to Clarice Lispector's short fiction that is unconventional.  Oh, and Judith Schalanksy's Atlas of Remote Islands would also be a good choice.  Doubtless, I'm forgetting many.

Archived