Getting Pregnant & Getting Burned

A few people here and there have suggested Asha might be pregnant. I wanted to expand on this idea, and point out some implications. It could be someone has already pointed this out, so I apologise. And now, just to remind everyone...

ASHA IS MARRIED.

So her relationship with Qarl is an extramarital affair. This is notable because Asha is with Stannis Baratheon, who, y'know, is a bit rigid where laws are concerned. This means that, if Asha is pregnant, Qarl the Maid will be burned alive.

Yup.

The punishment for sleeping with another man's wife is quite severe in Westeros, and Stannis has a thing about burning people alive. Conveniently, Qarl is the grandson of a thrall, nobody of import, so it's inconsequential to burn him. So yeah, I think I've identified Stannis' next BBQ.

As for Asha, I have no idea, and I'm interested to hear your opinion. Stannis seems to be becoming more flexible, the question is, has he become flexible enough to let Asha off the hook? I can see her receiving some form of punishment (and perhaps worse than having the ends of her fingers lopped off), though I doubt he'll burn her since I don't see her arc going that way. And besides, the Mannis seems to want her alive for something or other.

Any thoughts?

Asha was married in absentia, and hat changes things. Like vows at sword point etc. 

And Stannis...

ADwD, - The King'sPrize

That tale she had from Justin Massey, who was less devout than most. "A sacrifice will prove our faith still burns true, Sire," Clayton Suggs had told the king. And Godry the Giantslayer said, "The old gods of the north have sent this storm upon us. Only R'hllor can end it. We must give him an unbeliever."

"Half my army is made up of unbelievers," Stannis had replied. "I will have no burnings. Pray harder."

13 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Asha was married in absentia, and hat changes things. Like vows at sword point etc. 

And Stannis...

ADwD, - The King'sPrize

That tale she had from Justin Massey, who was less devout than most. "A sacrifice will prove our faith still burns true, Sire," Clayton Suggs had told the king. And Godry the Giantslayer said, "The old gods of the north have sent this storm upon us. Only R'hllor can end it. We must give him an unbeliever."

"Half my army is made up of unbelievers," Stannis had replied. "I will have no burnings. Pray harder."

He burns the four Peasebury men for cannibalism.

I think the point Stannis is making here is that he won't just burn an innocent person to appease R'hllor.

As for the marriage being in absentia, I admit that's a wildcard. I have no idea if that can happen out the Iron Islands, so I can only guess at how Stannis would react. The queen's men will say that it wasn't conducted by a red priest, so it is illegitimate. That said, it's not like Asha was unaware of the marriage, so Stannis could insist she was, in fact, legitimately married.

At the end of the day, it's all just speculation.

On 6/26/2018 at 6:43 AM, Giant Ice Spider said:

At the end of the day, it's all just speculation.

Yes, Asha was married off.

Asha, as the daughter of Balon enjoyed much freedom. She captained her own ship.  Her crew were loyal. She fucked who she wanted and fought when she wanted. She had the power of the Greyjoy name supporting her. She could come and go as she wanted while her father was alive.  Now her daddy is dead.

That does not negate that Asha has the strength and stamina and intelligence to survive.

Asha is a captive of Stannis. Theon is a captive of Stannis. Euron & Vic could give two shites about their niece and nephew's condition.

Neither Asha nor Theon are valuable hostages. Except for the information they process.

Why worry about whether or not Asha has a babe in the belly?

11 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Yes, Asha was married off.

Asha, as the daughter of Balon enjoyed much freedom. She captained her own ship.  Her crew were loyal. She fucked who she wanted and fought when she wanted. She had the power of the Greyjoy name supporting her. She could come and go as she wanted while her father was alive.  Now her daddy is dead.

That does not negate that Asha has the strength and stamina and intelligence to survive.

Asha is a captive of Stannis. Theon is a captive of Stannis. Euron & Vic could give two shites about their niece and nephew's condition.

Neither Asha nor Theon are valuable hostages. Except for the information they process.

Why worry about whether or not Asha has a babe in the belly?

Nothing of particular import has happened to Asha so far. Why make her a POV if she doesn't ge to do anything?

3 hours ago, Giant Ice Spider said:

Nothing of particular import has happened to Asha so far. Why make her a POV if she doesn't ge to do anything?

Well aside from any future role, she has already provided eyes and ears on Stannis’ March to Winterfell. Nobody else is in a position to offer that

6 hours ago, Giant Ice Spider said:

Good question? I hadn't really thought about it until you asked.

For some reason I guess I assumed Asha was a main pov character.  I looked into my notes and discovered Asha did not have a pov until FfC where before FfC she had actually showed up in Theon's chapters.

My speculation is Asha became a pov so that readers would have eyes on Stannis since Davos is out of the story for a while.

As HelenaEx mentioned, Asha's future role in the story is unknown.

I mean, depending on what marin has planned for Euron & Vic,  Asha might end up leader of the Iron Born. Balon did groom her for the role.

At this stage in the game Theon is frail and broken. What Theon has, if Stannis listens, is intricate knowledge of WF.

Thanks for giving me something to think about.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:41 PM, Clegane'sPup said:

Good question? I hadn't really thought about it until you asked.

For some reason I guess I assumed Asha was a main pov character.  I looked into my notes and discovered Asha did not have a pov until FfC where before FfC she had actually showed up in Theon's chapters.

My speculation is Asha became a pov so that readers would have eyes on Stannis since Davos is out of the story for a while.

As HelenaEx mentioned, Asha's future role in the story is unknown.

I mean, depending on what marin has planned for Euron & Vic,  Asha might end up leader of the Iron Born. Balon did groom her for the role.

At this stage in the game Theon is frail and broken. What Theon has, if Stannis listens, is intricate knowledge of WF.

Thanks for giving me something to think about.

No worries.

Asha is such an interesting character I would hate for her to end up as another Areo Hotah (no agency, just there to observe).

Archived