Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - Spoiler Thread

Jaxom 1974

Jurassic World was annoyingly stupid. Fallen Kingdom is entertainingly stupid - you can be amused at the stupidity of it, while enjoying the well-executed action scenes. I knew what movie I was getting when we find out that the pen for that Mosasaur (the giant water carnivore) has a giant slow-opening-and-closing-gate to the outside ocean (it was a great scene, too).

And I do mean stupid. As in, this movie acts as though if the dinosaurs on Isla Nublar die there will be No More Dinos!/Extinct Again, even though they could just make more of them - they have the technology. Also, the ending is pretty hilarious - "Oh no, a small number of mostly giant multi-ton animals escaped in the Pacific Northwest! However will we find such gigantic, obvious beasts? Jurassic World is upon us!".

I did not care for the Goldblum cameo. Malcolm's character has always felt weird in these films, because in the Jurassic Park novel he was the Crichton surrogate who pointed out all the potential complexity problems inherent in the park, and he ended up being right mostly because it was a rushed, poorly designed park due to Hammond being a bit of a bastard. But Spielberg liked Hammond, so that latter part gets downplayed and Malcolm becomes a Prophet of Doom whom the narrative conveniently validates over and over again for no particular reason.

Also, I think these movies must have a list of stuff they are required to cover for nostalgia pandering. "You must have a T-Rex roar scene! You must have a scene where our characters are awed by a big dinosaur!"

48 minutes ago, Summer Bass said:

Jurassic World was annoyingly stupid. Fallen Kingdom is entertainingly stupid - you can be amused at the stupidity of it, while enjoying the well-executed action scenes. I knew what movie I was getting when we find out that the pen for that Mosasaur (the giant water carnivore) has a giant slow-opening-and-closing-gate to the outside ocean (it was a great scene, too).

And I do mean stupid. As in, this movie acts as though if the dinosaurs on Isla Nublar die there will be No More Dinos!/Extinct Again, even though they could just make more of them - they have the technology. Also, the ending is pretty hilarious - "Oh no, a small number of mostly giant multi-ton animals escaped in the Pacific Northwest! However will we find such gigantic, obvious beasts? Jurassic World is upon us!".

I did not care for the Goldblum cameo. Malcolm's character has always felt weird in these films, because in the Jurassic Park novel he was the Crichton surrogate who pointed out all the potential complexity problems inherent in the park, and he ended up being right mostly because it was a rushed, poorly designed park due to Hammond being a bit of a bastard. But Spielberg liked Hammond, so that latter part gets downplayed and Malcolm becomes a Prophet of Doom whom the narrative conveniently validates over and over again for no particular reason.

Also, I think these movies must have a list of stuff they are required to cover for nostalgia pandering. "You must have a T-Rex roar scene! You must have a scene where our characters are awed by a big dinosaur!"

And, T Rex unknowingly saves the humans by killing another dinosaur just in time. 

10 hours ago, Jeor said:

Generally there was a lot of payoff in this film in that all the bad guys get eaten, which did make it enjoyable. The mercenary boss, the auctioneer, and then the evil corporate guy right at the end. We basically don't have any characters left apart from the protagonists.

Are they ever going to give Henry Wu his due as the evil mad scientist?

14 hours ago, RumHam said:

You know I'm pretty sure prior to this movie that T-Rex had only ever eaten the lawyer in the first movie who poops with his underwear on. 

Whoa whoa whoa! How has this post gone unchecked? I’m especially disappointed in you, @Jace, Basilissa!

Did you completely forget The Lost World? Ol’ Rexy eats Eddie Carr, Ian’s field expert, Dr. Burke, the guy who gets eaten under the waterfall after a snake slithers into his shirt and baby Rex eats Ludlow, the main villain of the film. The T-Rex also steps on a guy, eats a boat full of people and probably kills a ton of people of screen in San Diego.

:spank:

1 hour ago, Rakib Altinin 1974 said:

Are they ever going to give Henry Wu his due as the evil mad scientist?

Nah, Wu is the one baddie they have to keep around so they can keep on creating more "exotic" dinosaurs. I have to say the "Indoraptor" name sounded a bit silly.

I do wonder, though, given that they created Lockwood and his history and then just as quickly killed him off - are they just going to keep on making up more backstory as they go? Hammond can't exactly have a third silent partner. Maybe the dead Masrani has another business partner.

23 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Nah, Wu is the one baddie they have to keep around so they can keep on creating more "exotic" dinosaurs. I have to say the "Indoraptor" name sounded a bit silly.

I do wonder, though, given that they created Lockwood and his history and then just as quickly killed him off - are they just going to keep on making up more backstory as they go? Hammond can't exactly have a third silent partner. Maybe the dead Masrani has another business partner.

Well, if they're stopping after the third Jurrasic World...maybe...then they have to make Wu the primary villain in this next film.  He's always on the outside, but they cant stop the new dinosaur creations without stopping him...

And can we also talk about the idea that if the Indominus Rex hadn't gotten out in the first film and it was business as usual, the island still would have blown up three years later...possibly with people on it...

3 hours ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Whoa whoa whoa! How has this post gone unchecked? I’m especially disappointed in you, @Jace, Basilissa!

Did you completely forget The Lost World? Ol’ Rexy eats Eddie Carr, Ian’s field expert, Dr. Burke, the guy who gets eaten under the waterfall after a snake slithers into his shirt and baby Rex eats Ludlow, the main villain of the film. The T-Rex also steps on a guy, eats a boat full of people and probably kills a ton of people of screen in San Diego.

:spank:

Different t-rex. The t-rex from the 1st film is in the 4th and 5th(still has raptor sxars) but the t-rex from 2 is from the other island that was in the 2nd and 3rd films

19 hours ago, RumHam said:

The Maise is part raptor or "was improved with dino dna" thing will probably be the first plot twist of the next movie. Something like Lockwood wanted to give her better eye-sight and reflexes so she could... die less than his real daughter. 

Hmm, that's good. Because while I thought it seemed likely Maisie had something strange in her genetic makeup, I couldn't think what on earth would possess Lockwood to do something like that - especially since I think Rafe Spall's character said that Lockwood wanted his daughter back exactly as she was. But I could just about buy that as a motivation. 

4 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Different t-rex. The t-rex from the 1st film is in the 4th and 5th(still has raptor sxars) but the t-rex from 2 is from the other island that was in the 2nd and 3rd films

Wait really? I figured they killed them off.

Anyways, I stand by my random slander on the interwebs! 

10 hours ago, dog-days said:

Hmm, that's good. Because while I thought it seemed likely Maisie had something strange in her genetic makeup, I couldn't think what on earth would possess Lockwood to do something like that - especially since I think Rafe Spall's character said that Lockwood wanted his daughter back exactly as she was. But I could just about buy that as a motivation. 

Yeah, I don't think Maisie would have raptor DNA or anything like that - it doesn't seem that Lockwood would work that way. He clearly just wanted his daughter back, not his daughter plus some unpredictable raptor DNA that would cause her to eat small animals raw.

32 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Yeah, I don't think Maisie would have raptor DNA or anything like that - it doesn't seem that Lockwood would work that way. He clearly just wanted his daughter back, not his daughter plus some unpredictable raptor DNA that would cause her to eat small animals raw.

You are attributing too much to the writers of these films. They don't think the next scene through. Which is a shame, 'cause it's a good lookin picture.

4 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

You are attributing too much to the writers of these films. They don't think the next scene through. Which is a shame, 'cause it's a good lookin picture.

The one thing they do think through is keeping Wu alive each time so that he can escape and make more crazy dinosaurs. If the third one is meant to conclude the trilogy then they could do worse than making Wu the primary antagonist with a menagerie of pet baby raptor bodyguards. I'd probably watch that.

I figured Maisie was a clone the instant they said that she looked "just like her mother". Honestly, it seems like that would be a much more common thing in that world (where the cloning technology is incredibly sophisticated and developed), whether or not it was legal. 

On 7/4/2018 at 5:40 PM, Jeor said:

Yeah, I don't think Maisie would have raptor DNA or anything like that - it doesn't seem that Lockwood would work that way.

But did he clone her personally with his own hands, or did he get his pet scientist to do it for him, who might have done some unauthorised experimentation?

• 10 months later...

JURASSIC WORLD: CAMP CRETACEOUS - an all-new animated series coming to Netflix in 2020

The series is set within the timeline of the 2015 film “Jurassic World” and hails from DreamWorks Animation. It follows a group of six teenagers chosen for a once-in-a-lifetime experience at a new adventure camp on the opposite side of Isla Nublar. But when dinosaurs wreak havoc across the island, the campers are stranded. Unable to reach the outside world, they’ll need to go from strangers to friends to family if they’re going to survive.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for posting that, I hadn't seen anything about it. "Don't worry it's just nature" is definitely not the proper response to a allosaurus wandering into your camp site. I had to laugh at it being wounded by a crossbow and retreating. In the previous movies the things seem to be basically bulletproof. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived