On 6/24/2018 at 9:55 PM, Lord Thunder said:

What are the units of time used in the books? Are they same as the real world like minutes, hours and seconds?

Yes. GRRM has said he didn't have the patience to work out completely different units of time and measurement, so they're all the same as ours. The only thing that's somewhat different is he settled on a firm conversation of 1 league = 3 miles, which  was not always historically the case (it's the same conversion Tolkien uses, which is why I suspect he went for it).

There are no weeks in ASOIAF, or days of the week, I have noticed.

There are fortnights, but I've not seen any mention of a week. Which is surprising, since a week has seven days, and the south has seven gods. They could call Sunday or Monday Father's Day, and Wednesday or Thursday Maiden's Day, but for reason they don't. Beats me.

Posted (edited)

It's odd that a year is even a thing, with the way the seasons work. You can still have months, based on the phases of the moon, but why do they even care about "years"? Sure, the Maesters at least could use the stars to keep track of how many revolutions around the sun are happening, but there's no reason for anyone else to care about it, and instead they'd just use months for ages, maybe counting them by the score for brevity, so instead of a man being "six and twenty" he'd be "fifteen score and twelve".

Edited by Damon_Tor

Because the seasons used to be normal and were unbalanced by "some preternatural event" (almost certainly the Long Night), so it's a hold-over from then combined with the maesters keeping track of the planet's orbit.