Who will Sansa marry?

Arya Greyjoy

44 minutes ago, Pikachu101 said:

Trust me that hasn't stopped fans :ack:

Just because the fans don’t like something doesn’t mean that’s dictating what is being written. The forum hates secret so-and-so’s, yet there’s a very long list of characters who have hidden their identities at some point in their arc. The author likes the device a lot despite fan opinion of it. Same with conspiracies. The forum seems to generally dislike them despite that they’re clearly the bread and butter of the plot.

GRRM writes a lot about incest and will probably continue to do so regardless of fan disgust. Fire and Blood will no doubt be loaded with it. Past behavior as a predictor of future behavior and all that. Though I strongly disagree with the foreshadowing interpretation put forward by most of the incest shippers, one can’t rule out Jon/Dany, Jon/Arya, Jon/Sansa, 2 of the three, all three or any other wackadoodle combination just because we dislike it. GRRM is clearly not writing according to fan opinion.

As such, not having to read it is definitely something to appreciate about the series likely never being finished.

On 6/24/2018 at 4:18 PM, Arya Greyjoy said:

Who will be your husband at the end of this story? Your husband for love.

Candidates:

Jaime Lannister.

Sandor Clegane.

Theon Greyjoy.

Gendry Baratheon.

Tyrion Lannister.

Robin Arryn.

Samwell Tarly.

Euron Greyjoy.

Daenerys Targaryen (;)).

Willas Tyrrel.

Dies single.

Jaime, Theon, and Euron are ridiculous.  She has no reason to marry them, nor they to marry.

Gendry and Samwell she is not even aware of the existence of, plus Sam is in the NW.  If Sam were to marry anyone it would be Gilly.  Gendry is a nobody and that won't change.

Daenerys is female.  She woldl have an esier time marrying Jon Snow.  Cousin marriage is legal (they are cousins by blood); same-sex isn't, at least in Westeros.

Sandor and Robert (not Robin) Arryn are possibilities; Arryn more than Sandor.  Willas is a maybe but I think the Tyrells have lost interest in her.

I would say either Tyrion or she dies single.

So I want to suggest another candidate for Sansa's future husbando: Trystane Martell.

He is a prince and seems vastly more pleasant and well-adjusted than Joff, Sweet Robin, Harry the Heir and the a lesser extent Tyrion after all the junk he's had to deal with. With him as lord-consort of Winterfell Arianne could rule Dorne uncontested and maybe all the inadvertent bad blood between Stark and Martell could be set aside.

Oh wait... this would involve thing turning out nice at the end so this is deffenetly not happening.

27 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

Jon/Arya, Jon/Sansa

Neither of these ships make sense, it would be completely ooc and have 0 benefit for anyone involved. Yes George writes incest but that doesn't mean he'll make characters do a 180 for it to work.

11 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Arryn more than Sandor

Robert's sickly and Littlefinger assumes he'll die soon so if she's going to marry an Arryn Harry would be a better choice. 

3 minutes ago, Pikachu101 said:

Neither of these ships make sense, it would be completely ooc and have 0 benefit for anyone involved. Yes George writes incest but that doesn't mean he'll make characters do a 180 for it to work.

They would both keep the Stark/Tully alliance in place. Ygritte was a combination of both sisters and among other things, there is set up for this. Also Sansa is Rhaenys-like and Arya is Visenya-like making an Aegon and his sisters possible parallel. Not saying it'll happen at all, but there's enough that I don't rule them out. Adding Jaime and Brienne couldn't have been foreseen nor Sansa/Tyrion. Yet they happened.

4 minutes ago, Ylath's Snout said:

Oh wait... this would involve thing turning out nice at the end so this is deffenetly not happening.

Some characters do get something nice - but it's not long before GRRM comes along like some vengeful god and smashes their happiness like a mosquito.

18 minutes ago, Pikachu101 said:

Robert's sickly and Littlefinger assumes he'll die soon so if she's going to marry an Arryn Harry would be a better choice. 

Robert seems to have gotten healthier since his mother died.  In any case, assumptions don't always come true.  I wouldn't be surprised if Robert lasts all the way till the end.  I don't think he will marry Sansa though.

1 minute ago, Lollygag said:

They would both keep the Stark/Tully alliance in place.

I legitimately don't understand how would Sansa (a Stark raised in the North) marrying Jon (a presumed Stark bastard, but actually a secret Targ/dragonseed also raised in the North) do anything for the Stark-Tully alliance?

Sure Sansa is half-Tully but she doesn't have any sort of direct clout in the Riverlands.

Sansa marrying Brynden Blackfish or Edmure would do more for the Tully-Stark alliance but those to families seems to be pretty ride-or-die considering all the shit they have endured to protect each other. 

19 minutes ago, Ylath's Snout said:

I legitimately don't understand how would Sansa (a Stark raised in the North) marrying Jon (a presumed Stark bastard, but actually a secret Targ/dragonseed also raised in the North) do anything for the Stark-Tully alliance?

Sure Sansa is half-Tully but she doesn't have any sort of direct clout in the Riverlands.

Sansa marrying Brynden Blackfish or Edmure would do more for the Tully-Stark alliance but those to families seems to be pretty ride-or-die considering all the shit they have endured to protect each other.  

Jon is the one named king in Robb's will and based on the goings-on in the North, is seen as the unofficial leader. Out him publicly as a Targ, and it becomes a mess. Sansa is a problem because of her marriage to Tyrion. If you have any sticklers for Robb's will and no doubt some will be...And Arya may already be Lady of Winterfell if it's put forward that Jeyne was a proxy in her marriage to Ramsey. That Asha, an Arya parallel, was dealing with a proxy marriage at the exact same time puts me in mind that this may come up. Plot-wise, it would resolve Arya's absence from Robb's will. She gets thrown into the succession clusterf*** via a proxy marriage to Ramsey.

No, Sansa and Arya don't have the same Tully-cred as Catelyn did, but it would be enough especially given the other choices and certainly better than nothing. Sansa might be able to bring in the Vale via her history with Robert.

Again, I'm not saying this will happen, I just see it as a possibility thus why I don't rule either out. The situation is very dynamic and it may go any number of ways. Out Jon as a Targ especially as the Aegon/Dany stuff is starting to happen in Westeros, toss in that Robb's will was created on bad info, a Stark kid succession clusterf***.

The girls can't marry the Blackfish because he won't marry for some unknown reason and Edmure is already married. If Edmure doesn't have a child (Emmon Frey married to Genna Lannister is hell-bent to kill Edmure), then one of the Stark kids becomes the Tully heir to Riverrun as Catelyn was the oldest daughter. Probably Bran or Sansa but her marriage to Tyrion might be a problem so maybe Arya.

@Lollygag Re Stark inheritance: Jon is the only living male heir at a time of war. Assuming the whole Night Watch'd oath problem is resolved somehow then I don't see how the chauvinist lords of the North would ever consider backing Arya or Sansa over Jon unless they plan on forcing the girl they favor into a marriage.

Re Inheriting Riverrun: Wouldn't that be an argument for not marrying Jon to Sansa/Arya if Jon gets Winterfell and one of the girls get Riverrun? You can't really expect them to rule over two different kingdoms both devastated by war.

1 hour ago, Lollygag said:

Sansa might be able to bring in the Vale via her history with Robert.

I'm not saying you are wrong about this but Sansa saying "hey buuuddy, wanna risk your life and spend tons of your subjects lifes to make sure me and my husbando get our winter wonderland castle back?" to the boy she knows for a fact has a huge crush on her would be a potent mix of sad and pathetic for Sweet Robin.

Just now, Ylath's Snout said:

@Lollygag Re Stark inheritance: Jon is the only living male heir at a time of war. Assuming the whole Night Watch'd oath problem is resolved somehow then I don't see how the chauvinist lords of the North would ever consider backing Arya or Sansa over Jon unless they plan on forcing the girl they favor into a marriage.

Re Inheriting Riverrun: Wouldn't that be an argument for not marrying Jon to Sansa/Arya if Jon gets Winterfell and one of the girls get Riverrun? You can't really expect them to rule over two different kingdoms both devastated by war.

I'm not saying you are wrong about this but Sansa saying "hey buuuddy, wanna risk your life and spend tons of your subjects lifes to make sure me and my husbando get our winter wonderland castle back?" to the boy she knows for a fact has a huge crush on her would be a potent mix of sad and pathetic for Sweet Robin.

Jon being outed publicly as a Targ (again, only putting this forward as a possibility) while Aegon is conquering and word comes that Dany, a stranger who hasn't stepped foot in Westeros since being born, and her dragons are on their way to Westeros with Greyjoys, Unsullied and Dothraki, especially if she is unmarried at the time- some at least are going to have a big problem with this. Yeah - a marriage might be forced with one of the girls with Jon forced to take the Stark name. The North has never been on great terms with Targs and it ended especially badly with Aerys.

Jon doesn't need to marry the same one who inherits Riverrun. Catelyn was only the sister of the Riverrun heir.

Don't disagree with what you're saying on Sansa/Vale/Robert. But there are other possibilities depending on other factors like what happens in KL. It's hard to say. The Vale standing alone in isolation from both the North and KL would be tough, and given KL looks very uncertain with unsavories like Cersei and Euron to unknowns like Aegon, I can see Robert siding with the North to just avoid the mess in KL.

Again, I'm just saying that there are possible ways all of the many moving pieces line up for this, not that it'll happen for a certainty. It just can't be ruled out as impossible especially given what's already been written.

9 hours ago, Arya Greyjoy said:

I'm sorry, the translator is bad.

My first thought was that it was a pun. Illegal = "ill eagle" = "a sick bird". Robyn is sickly and the Arryn symbol is a bird. But they could be referring to him being below the age of consent (except that such weddings do happen in Westeros for political reasons).

4 hours ago, Lollygag said:

The girls can't marry the Blackfish because he won't marry for some unknown reason and Edmure is already married.

They're also closely related.  Blackfish is their great-uncle and Edmure is their uncle.  That is probably too close a blood relationship to really be accepted.  Cousins are OK, but I doubt anything closer is.

1 hour ago, Nevets said:

They're also closely related.  Blackfish is their great-uncle and Edmure is their uncle.  That is probably too close a blood relationship to really be accepted.  Cousins are OK, but I doubt anything closer is.

Seems like uncle-Niece marriages are "fine" in the North at least as there are several of them in Stark history. That is why I suggested them.

14 hours ago, Lollygag said:

They would both keep the Stark/Tully alliance in place.

How? Sansa and Arya are the Stark-Tully alliance, and if Sansa wants to keep it in place she'd just marry her child to Edmure's.

14 hours ago, Lollygag said:

Jaime and Brienne couldn't have been foreseen nor Sansa/Tyrion

Jaime and Brienne make sense character wise, he's one of the few people to respect her as a knight and she's his path to redemption. Tyrion/Sansa also makes political sense, he's the heir to Casterly Rock and she's Robb's only living sibling.

13 hours ago, Nevets said:

Robert seems to have gotten healthier since his mother died

If he doesn't die naturally I can see Littlefinger simply killing him

1 hour ago, Pikachu101 said:

How? Sansa and Arya are the Stark-Tully alliance, and if Sansa wants to keep it in place she'd just marry her child to Edmure's.

Jaime and Brienne make sense character wise, he's one of the few people to respect her as a knight and she's his path to redemption. Tyrion/Sansa also makes political sense, he's the heir to Casterly Rock and she's Robb's only living sibling.

Not sure where to start here...

1. Jon was the one named heir in Robb's will, not Sansa, Arya, Bran or Rickon. And I went into this further in another response upthread. Again, not saying it will happen, but that it's possible for the all of the moving parts to line up that way.

2. Jaime/Brienne  make sense only when things line up that way it doesn't make sense as Jaime's in the KG and Brienne is high-born so they shouldn't by any means just be hooking up. (I think Jaime effectively resigned the KG when burning Cersei's letter and Barristan's release was precedent for Jaime's release, but that's my point, circumstances have to line up for this to make sense but as of the end of ADWD, they don't make sense at all. I'm not arguing any of these from a ship position, just a political position.

3. If someone had made the case for Tyrion/Sansa in AGOT the response would have been that it made no sense. Again, circumstances must align. And Tyrion is not the heir to Casterly Rock.

ASOS Tyrion I

"You have important letters, yes." Tyrion rose on unsteady legs, closed his eyes for an instant as a wave of dizziness washed over him, and took a shaky step toward the door. Later, he would reflect that he should have taken a second, and then a third. Instead he turned. "What do I want, you ask? I'll tell you what I want. I want what is mine by rights. I want Casterly Rock."

His father's mouth grew hard. "Your brother's birthright?"

"The knights of the Kingsguard are forbidden to marry, to father children, and to hold land, you know that as well as I. The day Jaime put on that white cloak, he gave up his claim to Casterly Rock, but never once have you acknowledged it. It's past time. I want you to stand up before the realm and proclaim that I am your son and your lawful heir."

Lord Tywin's eyes were a pale green flecked with gold, as luminous as they were merciless. "Casterly Rock," he declared in a flat cold dead tone. And then, "Never."

15 hours ago, Nevets said:

Plus, there’s the age gap. Edmure is a couple times Sansa’s age, but hey, who cares about such things? Tywin Lannister certainly doesn’t when he married Sansa to Tyrion and neither did Hoster Tully when he married Lysa to Jon Arryn. And keep in mind that Sansa had barely started menstruating and having Tyrion wed her, bed her, and put a child in her at 12-13 is an extremely risky maneuver.

10 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Plus, there’s the age gap. Edmure is a couple times Sansa’s age, but hey, who cares about such things? Tywin Lannister certainly doesn’t when he married Sansa to Tyrion and neither did Hoster Tully.

I wasn't trying to say that Sansa/Edmure would be a "happy" match just that is would make more sense than Jon/Sansa for maintaining the Stark-Tully alliance.

Archived