Who will Sansa marry?

Arya Greyjoy

On 8/6/2018 at 12:20 PM, Trefayne said:

After all the author has put Sansa through it would be nice if he let her pick her own husband at least.

I'm sure she will but I just don't think it will be for "true love" or whatever, strong alliances are 100x more important than romance 

1 hour ago, Pikachu101 said:

I'm sure she will but I just don't think it will be for "true love" or whatever, strong alliances are 100x more important than romance 

It would be nice if the guy she married wasn’t a dick. We don’t need another Cersei.

• 2 months later...
On 7/15/2018 at 8:23 AM, Springwatch said:

On 7/15/2018 at 8:23 AM, Springwatch said:

I don't doubt you at all :) - it's the SSM's and sundry other communications by the author that I have no faith in. Never have.

There's enough possible foreshadowing to make Jon/Sansa worth considering, at least.

Romantic love and/or attraction between them doesn't really exist at the moment, but could be written in if the author wants it. But if the driving force is Sansa's claim and kingsblood, a love match isn't really necessary. A dynastic match might be enough for Bad!Jon (Aegon the Conqueror didn't really love his first queen either).

[Aside, but do we know for sure that the Promised Prince is the hero of Fire? This one is half ice, half fire - maybe either side can recruit him. And so far, this important playing piece has been held by the Ice side all the way.]

Sansa has grown tired of her claim and the idea of being a queen, but events might force her hand. More than that, she has a history of being dazzled, charmed, swept away by the feeling of love. (It's interesting that she was dazzled by Joff and Loras when both were wearing blue, breaking the habit of house colours. Wearing blue, the colour of ice (the Wall is blue crystal) - might foreshadow an ice prince.)

Inspiring love is her own gift too (the gift of queens - 'I will make them love me'), but she isn't very sophisticated yet; she could fall victim to romance once more. If she does, I think she will break through the dazzle eventually, as she has before.

Ultimately, I think fairy tales are there to be torn down, not fulfilled. Raising up a King and Queen of Winter sounds very bad for humanity.

Romance doesnt die it in this story, it just becomes smaller and less grandiose. Sam giving Gilly his cloak and helping her escape Craster's for instance, is pure romance. There will be tragedies along the way (Interestingly, Jon is the villain in their story). But he's not beating the romance out of everyone. 

I think for GRRM fairy tales will be recontructed. Not deconstructed and unfulfilled. He is a fantasist after all. He just likes the tension between fantasy/reality. 

The frog metaphors around Janos Slynt and Quentyn suggest a reconstruction of the Frog Prince for Jon. Jon starts the story as a frog prince and Sansa starts as the spoiled princess, they go on journeys that challenge these tropes(deconstruction). Reconstruction then has them ending up back in the trope but much more world-weary and traumatized than the original trope imagined for them. Another example of this is Jaime (reconstructed knight) and Brienne/Jaime (reconstructed Beauty and the Beast).

On 7/5/2018 at 4:48 PM, Newstar said:

Sansa's already married, and like every other woman in the whole of ASOIAF, TWOIAF, and beyond, she's stuck with him and him alone as a husband until he dies. (Doesn't work the other way around, of course.) She can run off to Essos and take a lover as Lynesse did. She can live apart from Tyrion as Mellario does with Doran. Heck, she may even get an annulment at some point far in the future, but she will never have another husband unless Tyrion dies, and he won't. If someone has to die to undo that marriage, it won't be Tyrion.

The first paragraph of his first chapter, he's thinking about how terrifying a wolf's howl is and compares it to running naked in the woods being chased by the pack! This fear of wolves comes up again in ASOS. In light of this anvil like foreshadowing I honestly think Sansa is going to sentence him to death in his third and final trial for something he did commit this time. He might have the good grace to know that his sins have caught up to him, and that he should have been executed for the sin of ABANDONING TYSHA and KILLING SHAE a long time ago. Sansa will have killed her husband, just like Dany and Cersei, but under completely different circumstances.

4 hours ago, Keep Shelly in Athens said:

The first paragraph of his first chapter, he's thinking about how terrifying a wolf's howl is and compares it to running naked in the woods being chased by the pack!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Tyrion thinks about running with the pack, not from it. He’s thinking about how the wolves’ howls stir something primeval in people.

Jon. For several reasons, not listed according to their importance.

He's into redheads.

They are cousins and I believe it will be revealed.

I believe he will fall for Val but she'll die before the series ends.

Dany/Jon won't be a thing and she will die anyway.

Jon will be da Kinged in da Norf! Which means Sansa, Arya, Bran and Rickon will all be pretenders.

Jon is the eldest male among the Wolfpups, but is the last to inherit among the pups both as Lyanna's son and Ned's bastard whereas Bran, the first is a cripple and Rickon, the third is a baby. Child lorda are the bane of any house especially in the North and during the  Winter. Sansa, the third in line is not only the eldest of Ned's brood but also the only one of them that is an adult(almost), she's also a woman. Marrying the two will merge the two Branches  of Rickard's descendants just like his marriage merged Beron's.

This will be a marriage of convenience and also love, not the kind that bursts your heart from beating too fast, but the kind Cat had for Ned. 

In short, Cat and Ned will happen all over again.

Also Remember Waymar Royce and who looks like him the most. Who knows, if she learns Jon is Lyanna's, Sansa may even fall for Jon.

7 hours ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Tyrion thinks about running with the pack, not from it. He’s thinking about how the wolves’ howls stir something primeval in people.

The quote: "Somewhere in the great stone maze of Winterfell, a wolf howled. The sound hung over the castle like a flag of mourning. Tyrion Lannister looked up from his books and shivered, though the library was snug and warm. Something about the howling of a wolf took a man right out of his here and now and left him in a dark forest of the mind, running naked before the pack.”

2 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Jon. For several reasons, not listed according to their importance.

He's into redheads.

They are cousins and I believe it will be revealed.

I believe he will fall for Val but she'll die before the series ends.

Dany/Jon won't be a thing and she will die anyway.

Jon will be da Kinged in da Norf! Which means Sansa, Arya, Bran and Rickon will all be pretenders.

Jon is the eldest male among the Wolfpups, but is the last to inherit among the pups both as Lyanna's son and Ned's bastard whereas Bran, the first is a cripple and Rickon, the third is a baby. Child lorda are the bane of any house especially in the North and during the  Winter. Sansa, the third in line is not only the eldest of Ned's brood but also the only one of them that is an adult(almost), she's also a woman. Marrying the two will merge the two Branches  of Rickard's descendants just like his marriage merged Beron's.

This will be a marriage of convenience and also love, not the kind that bursts your heart from beating too fast, but the kind Cat had for Ned. 

In short, Cat and Ned will happen all over again.

Also Remember Waymar Royce and who looks like him the most. Who knows, if she learns Jon is Lyanna's, Sansa may even fall for Jon.

Wow, I really like the idea of Sansa marrying Jon, though not sure I share your vision of the future concerning Val and Dany. 

I kinda always assumed they would end up together. 

But if they don't, I would like to see Sansa/Jon marriage based in trust (finally someone she can trust!) and respect.

Though truth be told, I'd welcome any marriage of Sansa that fitted this description :rolleyes:

Robert Arryn of the Vale, he's her winged-knight and loves her even if she wants to keep pretending to be a bastard. He doesn't want to marry her for her name or family lands/titles.

Unlike Robb, Arya, and Bran, Sansa never cared much for Jon while they were growing up together. So I don't think he's the brother-cousin she'd want to spend her life with unless extreme circumstances required them to marry. 

7 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Robert Arryn of the Vale, he's her winged-knight and loves her even if she wants to keep pretending to be a bastard. He doesn't want to marry her for her name or family lands/titles.

Unlike Robb, Arya, and Bran, Sansa never cared much for Jon while they were growing up together. So I don't think he's the brother-cousin she'd want to spend her life with unless extreme circumstances required them to marry. 

We don't see it much but she cared/cares for him. 

"There was a black brother," Sansa said, "begging men for the Wall, only he was kind of old and smelly." She hadn't liked that at all. She had always imagined the Night's Watch to be men like Uncle Benjen. In the songs, they were called the black knights of the Wall. But this man had been crookbacked and hideous, and he looked as though he might have lice. If this was what the Night's Watch was truly like, she felt sorry for her bastard half brother, Jon.

People make this mistake, what should be remembered when thinking of their relation don't see much Robb-Sansa and Bran-Sansa interactions either, is Sansa distanced with those two as well?

Only real argument here is she calls him her bastard brother and well, that is the truth of it. We see people(besides Roose) calling their children or relatives "my bastard ...  ", though they care for them.

If Jon and Sansa are going to be a thing, I would write them to be distant from each other while growing up and make Sansa his least favorite sister and vice versa. As a writer you'd want them to not have a sibling relationship at all or at least a very weak one, which is what GRRM has done.

16 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

#donkeyridesbringpeopletogether

So in the short term i can see her shacking up with that nosy girl from the donkey experience chapter in the most... recent (ha!) book.    But the lords declarent will put a stop to that with a lengthy lecture about how the vale is in the middle ages still so you can't marry a woman.   That's when the guy the vale is setting sansa up on a blind date with gets caught getting it on with the nosy girl from donkey time and Sansa blurts out, "okay i'm ready to go back to kings landing now."   Which is when Pete realizes it's time to tell her about....... (this is where the drum roll would be---here, in this dense forest of dots).........   

AEGON.

Edited to add:

you know i could have sworn i'd posted this to "Who's Sansa Going To Marry?"    Probably would have made more sense there, but it's more needed here.

There.  At least this is now in the right topic.  Though as for it "making more sense" here, THAT may have been an over- promise.

Archived