Epic fantasy movies still caught in the dark age....

Mwm

Lord of the rings did so well as a movie trilogy; and then fucking Hollywood just dropped the genre in favor of these cookie cutter Disney movies-that are extremely easy.

Even the Hobbit-despite anyone’s personal opinions-those movies were HUGE hits too. And no one has tried anything since!

I thank god we’re seeing such a resurgence in tv after Game of Thrones. With the LOTR prequel show, more GOT shows, possibly Conan and Wheel Of Time and the BLACK COMPANY, the Witcher(Netflix is an absolute shit show with their writers though), Fionavar Tapestry.

Dungeons and Dragons has ordered a movie; which could be the beginning of a shared universe for the forgotten realms(there’s almost no way they can’t fuck this up-I hope to be proven wrong, but their not taking it seriously...)

An Earthsea movie has just been ordered.

Despite my personal feelings about not considering it EPIC fantasy, name of the wind is also becoming a movie.

What do you think is going to be the ratio between the two?

My own personal feelings on another matter-there’s just so much fucking science fiction in both movies and tv. For every good one(the expanse), there’s a million bad one, but they TRY to constantly make entertainment in that genre and honestly I’m quite sick of it.

So you want to have a shit ton of bad epic fantasy films alongside all the bad SF films. Because that's what's going to happen if everyone starts doing something. And there were other attempts, including a new Conan, which sucked. Chronicles of Narnia started out ok, then turned bad.

5 minutes ago, Corvinus of Teranga said:

So you want to have a shit ton of bad epic fantasy films alongside all the bad SF films. Because that's what's going to happen if everyone starts doing something. And there were other attempts, including a new Conan, which sucked. Chronicles of Narnia started out ok, then turned bad.

Conan’s sword and sorcery; narnia is high fantasy...

And yes, at least they actually keep trying with science fiction.

2 minutes ago, Corvinus of Teranga said:

You brought up Conan. And high and epic fantasy are interchangeable. LOTR is high fantasy, too.

I brought up Conan, the same as I did with Name of the wind(which I said I considered high fantasy)

High fantasy is MUCH smaller scale and length then epic fantasy.

4 hours ago, Mwm said:

High fantasy is MUCH smaller scale and length then epic fantasy. 

It's literally just another word for the same thing.

In any case a key reason there's more SF I'd imagine is that it just doesn't cost as much, even for the expensive stuff- even the biggest scale SF can mostly be done with CGI and set/soundstage work, whereas a real big epic fantasy needs just as much of that but also shitloads of location work.

And anyway you're somewhat arguing off a false premise. You're complaining about the volume of all SF against the volume of what is already a subgenre of fantasy that you've narrowed even further.

You are also arguing for quantity over quality. I would take one good fantasy movie (others have already explained the high/epic fantasy thing) over any more soulless, generic, CGI wankfests like the Hobbit

4 hours ago, Helenas Musikautomat said:

You are also arguing for quantity over quality. I would take one good fantasy movie (others have already explained the high/epic fantasy thing) over any more soulless, generic, CGI wankfests like the Hobbit

Well they’re not even trying; so all you got is the Hobbit....

4 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I definitely want more fantasy films and tv but I don’t want them to start cranking out any old shit. It always does make me sad that all my favourite fantasy films are from the 80s though. I want more. 

The 80’s? Clash of the titans and Excalibur?

There's a lot of obstacles between starting out on a quest to produce a fantasy film or series and actually, you know, having a fantasy film up there on the screens at home, in the pocket and the theaters.

One can announce as many meetings and discussion about optioning something as one likes.  How many them even get a first round of first drafts for scripts, much less assigned a shooting budget, much less getting all the way from 'pre-production' to production?

17 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Oh yes and Willow...

and why wouldn’t you think that means we want new blood lol. I love fantasy movies and want more and find it’s weird that so many good fantasy films from the 80s and not a lot since lol 

Oh; thought that you meant you didn’t like LOTR since you said you preferred 80’s movies...

Archived