Epic fantasy movies still caught in the dark age....

Mwm

20 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I never saw it but my understanding is that they tried too hard to set up future movies and didn't concentrate enough on telling the story for the first installment.  I should probably see it before commenting further.

Video game adaptations don't have a good track record. As a rule they tend to be pretty mediocre.

I liked the first Resident Evil film.  I haven't seen Assassins  Creed but I heard the reviews were very mixed.

I did enjoy Warcraft but I wouldn't say it was a particularly great film, perhaps I have a soft spot for cheesy epic fantasy stories.

I thought it was a lot more fun than Assassins Creed, where the historical scenes were OK but the modern-day portions of the stories were atrocious.

7 hours ago, Corvinus of Teranga said:

Because it was really inspired by the original RTS Warcraft, with elements from WoW. So that's why they tried to make both humans and orcs good and bad. But unfortunately, this movie, more than most other VG adaptations really dependent on the viewer knowing the world well ahead of seeing the movie.

Never having played the game this could explain why I felt it was flawed

17 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Stardust is fantastic, and I had no idea it was underrated until I read this thread.

Stardust is one of those movies that somehow got traction not in the cinemas, but after it was released on DVD started being aired on TV on regular basis. Suddenly, it became beloved movie. It was a box office bomb but it continued to live becoming one of the most beloved fantasy movies of 2000s.

I enjoyed reading this interview with Charlie Cox and I hope you will also enjoy it.

Stardust was absolutely great. I wouldn't really say it's epic fantasy, but I think that Mirrormask is a tremendous fantasy spectacle to watch on a large screen, preferably while a bit far from sober. It's a goofy sort-of-for-teens movie, but some great imagination went into that film.

12 hours ago, Risto said:

Stardust is one of those movies that somehow got traction not in the cinemas, but after it was released on DVD started being aired on TV on regular basis. Suddenly, it became beloved movie. It was a box office bomb but it continued to live becoming one of the most beloved fantasy movies of 2000s.

I enjoyed reading this interview with Charlie Cox and I hope you will also enjoy it.

I think it was that generation's "Princess bride" which I also think wasn't a massive cinema success?

I always felt the book was my favourite novel by Gaimans too

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I think it was that generation's "Princess bride" which I also think wasn't a massive cinema success?

I always felt the book was my favourite novel by Gaimans too

True... I like Gaiman and all his novels are different, but "Stardust" has certain quality that evokes something very similar to rural nature of Tolkien's Shire with all its simplicity and beauty. But is also magically grandiose and strong. 

Both book and the movie are amazing and the adaptation is a textbook of how you change the source material in order to make a better story for the different medium.

On 6/25/2018 at 12:57 PM, Mwm said:

Well they’re not even trying; so all you got is the Hobbit....

You sweet summer child.  You underestimate Hollywood’s powers of franchise-milking.  Pretty sure there’s a Silmarillion trilogy coming... and after that the Children of Huron trilogy ... and after that...

6 minutes ago, Charles Calthrop said:

You sweet summer child.  You underestimate Hollywood’s powers of franchise-milking.  Pretty sure there’s a Silmarillion trilogy coming... and after that the Children of Huron trilogy ... and after that...

No one has the rights to those.

On 6/30/2018 at 12:45 AM, red snow said:

I think the issue with world of Warcraft may have been it wasn't a simple good Vs bad scenario. Yes there was an evil wizard but besides that both sides had legitimate gripes with one another. I still don't really know who the main protagonist was. Basically it lacked focus or a catchy pitch beyond "did you like the game"?

The protagonist was clearly Ragnar Lothbrok! And his gorgeous eyes can carry a pretty heavy weight.

I agree with those that put Stardust in a similar category to The Princess Bride - that's the other book I read to my partner when we first got together, they are really hitting a similar note.

Archived