Epic fantasy movies still caught in the dark age....

Mwm

13 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Do you know what optioned means? Nothing has come of 99 percent of these things.

The Malazan project is actively dead. The others optioned discussed are not.

9 hours ago, Zorral said:

GOT was hardly a risk with millions of fans across the globe already in place -- just like LOTR wasn't that much of a risk either.  There was an audience just panting for it.

If they'd done a horrible job -- and generally, I think they did do a horrible job, but that's an unpopular opiniion! -- it still wouldn't matter, so avid is the fan base.

You can't compare the two. LOTR had MASSIVE readership, GoT's numbers were around 2-5M worldwide. It was indeed a risk. The right comparison would be between GoT and "Legend of the Seeker", as their numbers were relatively similar.

Even LOTR was a risk, with that much money being poured into it.

10 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Unquestionably, any show that has the kind of production budget of a Rome or GOT, the floor beneath which it's a commercial failure is going to be high.  It'd be interesting to see what the exact per-episode budget for GOT is.

And, as disappointed as I am that we didn't get more Rome, the two seasons depict a relatively tight, interesting story that had a logical endpoint.  It could have been worse (*cough*boardwalkempire*cough*)

It's also interesting to reflect, about a decade ago, people were predicting reality TV was going to be the death traditional television.  These shows were ridiculously cheap to produce, hugely popular and largely cut the pesky screen writers out of the game. Fast forward to today and I don't think television has ever been healthier.  You see this particularly in animation.  Clone Wars and Rebels were both great, compelling series that I would have enjoyed at just about any age.  I go back and watch some of the series I was addicted to as a youngster and they're just embarrassingly bad.

Ran somewhere talked about this. It started with $6M per episode in Season 1, $8-9M for Seasons 2-4, around 10 for Seasons 5 to 7 and for Season 8 it is said to be $15M.

Yes, TV is really healthy these days. You can see it by the variety of content, topics discussed on TV, in all genres. TV is sometimes the new frontier.

18 hours ago, Risto said:

If we just talk about high/epic fantasy, then, yeah, it is in kinda rut. The content is there, but somehow no one is doing anything new, and when they do, when they try something original, it gets axed due to this or that reason. And the bigger issue is that the rest of Hollywood is doing anything new (even though rights to almost every known fantasy book series has been bought). Amazon, in their desire to get "new GoT", went for even older one, LOTR. WoT can go either like "Legend of the Seeker" or "Game of Thrones". It will all depend on how much money will Sony invest. Netflix can give some adult entertainment with "Witcher". But, everything is in the air. Everything seems to be relying on the same premise of GoT: "fantasy for adults" And while it is a good idea, they need something new. 

I would like someone to go and say "Fuck it, let we take Malazan Book of the Fallen and turn it into TV"

Glen Cook's Black Company series was optioned by Eliza Dushku, though it's been a while since I heard anything more about it. That's a very Malazan like series (or more accurate to say Malazan is like the Black Company series).

Also, I would really like some nice TV drama about Greek/Norse/Egyptian mythology (actually Age of Mythology adaptation would be so cool) and one about King Arthur. But not "Merlin"-like... I would like to see some epic drama...

Well, you get a bit of Greek, Norse, Egyptian, and other mythologies in American Gods...

16 hours ago, Risto said:

Also, I would really like some nice TV drama about Greek/Norse/Egyptian mythology (actually Age of Mythology adaptation would be so cool) and one about King Arthur. But not "Merlin"-like... I would like to see some epic drama...

You and I are of one mind on this. I, too, would like an anthology series covering many mythologies. Thrown in some Summerian/Babylonian stuff in there, as well. 

BBC did do another version of the Trojan War recently, but it didn't do it justice, imo.

There’s also His Dark Materials in development. That one is actually going to happen as there has been casting announcements and such already.

Speaking of American Gods, I would love an Anansi’s Boys spin off

Rome cost as much as Got.  But!  and this is a huge difference, as at least one other person pointed out previously -- Rome came along right before streaming and on demand, etc.  HBO Go didn't exist.  It's the difference between Taboo, which the critics seemed to dislike, but as it rolled via other providers, and particularly streaming on the BBC player, it gathered an ever increasingly large and enthusiastic audience, and voila, a season 2 got commissioned.

The Crown's first season cost at least 130 million, and so far is still the most expensive television series produced.  The Get Down cost nearly the same -- but it wasn't popular and it got axed (personally, I felt it had no central idea as to what sort of series it was to be, thus all kinds of thematic material got thrown into the mix, any of which would have made a good strong central theme, but the result of this mode was a rather dull hash).

Recall that Deadwood got killed because it cost too much, and those costs were half of what either Rome or Got have been.  (Also Milch was too crazy to work with, really, but nevermind that for the mo.)

As far as a mythology antho series: this would almost 100% likely be a turgid, dull mess -- no continuity of character, location, sets, writers, etc. while costing so very much, which would be cost cut like crazy.

7 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Well, you get a bit of Greek, Norse, Egyptian, and other mythologies in American Gods...

No, that's not that... I would like some real epic period drama... Like, Immortals, only with good script.

7 hours ago, Corvinus of Teranga said:

You and I are of one mind on this. I, too, would like an anthology series covering many mythologies. Thrown in some Summerian/Babylonian stuff in there, as well. 

BBC did do another version of the Trojan War recently, but it didn't do it justice, imo.

Great minds think alike :D

Seriously, as a teen I played AoM so many times and I liked the artistry of it - building Wonders was my favorite, as well as choosing Gods. Watching something like that would be truly awesome.

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

As far as a mythology antho series: this would almost 100% likely be a turgid, dull mess -- no continuity of character, location, sets, writers, etc. while costing so very much, which would be cost cut like crazy.

Can't you let me have this one? :D

IDK, I have faith there is a talented TV writer who could make it work. But, yeah, the recent efforts don't speak in favor of this being that much viable project. 

5 minutes ago, Risto said:

No, that's not that... I would like some real epic period drama... Like, Immortals, only with good script.

Great minds think alike :D

Seriously, as a teen I played AoM so many times and I liked the artistry of it - building Wonders was my favorite, as well as choosing Gods. Watching something like that would be truly awesome.

Can't you let me have this one? :D

IDK, I have faith there is a talented TV writer who could make it work. But, yeah, the recent efforts don't speak in favor of this being that much viable project. 

Bro -- I am ruthless when speaking truth.  But I'll give ya beer any old time! :cheers:

Sometimes it makes you wonder what movie studios are thinking... A potentially great brand like (World of) Warcraft was an absolute abomination as a movie... granted, they made a lot of money back overseas.... but did they really think that they could take that source material and cram it into a 2 hour flick?... 

1 hour ago, Martini Sigil said:

Sometimes it makes you wonder what movie studios are thinking... A potentially great brand like (World of) Warcraft was an absolute abomination as a movie... granted, they made a lot of money back overseas.... but did they really think that they could take that source material and cram it into a 2 hour flick?... 

I never saw it but my understanding is that they tried too hard to set up future movies and didn't concentrate enough on telling the story for the first installment.  I should probably see it before commenting further.

Video game adaptations don't have a good track record. As a rule they tend to be pretty mediocre.

I liked the first Resident Evil film.  I haven't seen Assassins  Creed but I heard the reviews were very mixed.

2 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Stardust is fantastic, and I had no idea it was underrated until I read this thread.

Neither did I lol - it’s been a favourote in my house for years - all my family love it. We’ve watched it so many times. 

16 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I never saw it but my understanding is that they tried too hard to set up future movies and didn't concentrate enough on telling the story for the first installment.  I should probably see it before commenting further.

Video game adaptations don't have a good track record. As a rule they tend to be pretty mediocre.

I liked the first Resident Evil film.  I haven't seen Assassins  Creed but I heard the reviews were very mixed.

I think the issue with world of Warcraft may have been it wasn't a simple good Vs bad scenario. Yes there was an evil wizard but besides that both sides had legitimate gripes with one another. I still don't really know who the main protagonist was. Basically it lacked focus or a catchy pitch beyond "did you like the game"? 

I think they'd have been better with a TV show if they wanted to explore the factions and set up multiple protagonists.

19 minutes ago, red snow said:

I think the issue with world of Warcraft may have been it wasn't a simple good Vs bad scenario. Yes there was an evil wizard but besides that both sides had legitimate gripes with one another. I still don't really know who the main protagonist was. Basically it lacked focus or a catchy pitch beyond "did you like the game"? 

I think they'd have been better with a TV show if they wanted to explore the factions and set up multiple protagonists.

Because it was really inspired by the original RTS Warcraft, with elements from WoW. So that's why they tried to make both humans and orcs good and bad. But unfortunately, this movie, more than most other VG adaptations really dependent on the viewer knowing the world well ahead of seeing the movie.

Archived