The Expanse #4: Amazon Rising (spoilers for book only up to last episode)

Corvinus85

4 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Why? What's your preferred term - clergy? 

It has what I should hope are obvious connotations towards the further manufactured perspective that 'religious people' are marginalized and/or persecuted for some imaginary failure to conform.

This may seem trite, but recall how the alt-right is now called the alt-right instead of fucking neo-Nazis. Being lured into using the enemy's terminology is a mistake which has tangible consequences. Call them what they are. Don't romanticize them. I'm not attacking you right now or anyone else who may be reading this who has religious beliefs (that comes later), but I won't sit here and watch this wholly constructed victim complex develop in silence.

Honestly, person of faith has such old connotations I never even bothered consider this. Man of faith is something that was used for, like, 200 years or more. I don't see the obvious correlation, honestly, even with PoC being another term, simply because the connotations and use is far different. Also, I don't necessarily see that Person of Color is something that implies victimhood. 

5 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Honestly, person of faith has such old connotations I never even bothered consider this. Man of faith is something that was used for, like, 200 years or more. I don't see the obvious correlation, honestly, even with PoC being another term, simply because the connotations and use is far different. Also, I don't necessarily see that Person of Color is something that implies victimhood. 

Oh I agree. And I've heard the term before. Usually as an additive description, like in an article about an athlete or disabled person overcoming some obstacle.

But I'm not talking about the way normal people view these terms at face value. The fascists insist that any acknowledgement of racial prejudice is a manufactured victim complex. Which is wrong. And the term 'person of color' is not ascribing to feelings of victimization. But that's exactly what fascists have been pushing for some time now. Embedding their hideous facile views into more and more mainstream discourse.

Now what I never. And I mean NEVER EVER heard was someone describe themselves as 'a person of faith' in a normal conversation. Not on the internet, not in person -and I went to fucking Jesus School- as a routine commentary. People usually introduce their religious views specifically, to tout their own virtuosity.

Until very, very, recently. And the people I see originating such statements are not ones who come by such turns of phrase on their own if you take my meaning.

This type of shifting the public lexicon reeks of Steve Bannon or Richard Spencer.

For those around the Philadelphia area... Dominique Tipper (Naomi) Cas Anver (Alex) Frankie Adams (Bobbie) and Cara Gee (Drummer) will all be at The Great Philly Comic Con... which is neither the Wizard World or the ReedPop events in the convention center... This is held in the Oaks, which is a suburb...  www.philadelphiacomiccon.com

... also, I am not an Ana an either.... the whole "reverend Doctor" thing is nauseating to me, (reminds me of that prosperity preaching jizzbucket Creflo Dollar) and to make her character worse, Elizabeth Mitchell plays every scene like she's holding in a fart. But then again, in a way that's better than the way hollywood usually portrays clergy... which is waaaaay cooler, hipper, and moral than they really are...lol

13 hours ago, briantw said:

Kind of like the books.  The first book is good, but man is it a slow burn.  I feel like the later books are like runaway freight trains where crazy shit is happening left and right but the first couple are very slow paced.

NK Jemisin was speaking on twitter of trying to get into it and just found S1 too slow a burn even after sticking through to ep6. She was maybe going to try skipping ahead to S2 but I'm not sure if she did or not, so yeah its an issue plenty of people have even when they're part of the SFF genre themselves.

7 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

The worst thing about Season 3 is whats-her-face from LOST.

But regarding episode 6 the final confrontation with Errinwright and the Secretary General is one of my favorite scenes. I really dig the dead eyed actor who plays Sadavir.

I love Anna both in the book and the show, but I didn't know her from anything before this. Bolded - absolutely, its an amazing scene. Someone who is pretty unabashedly a villain but who got there from driving down the road of good intentions just getting to absolutely unload on someone who doesn't actually give a shit and is just into it for themselves. Especially the bit about how if the last person in the room was a janitor he'd be passionate about mops or something.

I get where you're coming from with the "people of faith" thing and you may be right. I think I might have used it in this sort of context as trying to differentiate in the opposite direction - that the faith is insincere rather than just a shield for bigotry but I think I'll make sure I don't use it again after seeing how it could also play. I think depictions like Anna and the mormon guy are good in part because it gives you a grounding that can actually criticise the way religions are used. If you're just being an online asshole atheist (and I say this as an online, trying not to be an asshole, atheist) it tends to drown out any legitimate critique that is being made. And I think the show did this with Miller and the mormon in S2 - it wasn't mocking him for his faith but it was being kinda critical in the sense that they were turning their back on the rest of humanity and just striking out for themselves while Miller was trying to make things better.

6 hours ago, karaddin said:

Especially the bit about how if the last person in the room was a janitor he'd be passionate about mops or something.

This was a great line, really stood out.

Personally, I think Elizabeth Mitchell is fine but the character’s storyline is very well done anyway, both in the show and the book iirc.  It’s not something you see a lot of.

as for the “person of faith” stuff, yeah, sure it’s like “bachelor of science.” Just call them what they are, fucking EUGENICISTS! Or to put it another way :rolleyes:

Was considering dipping my toe into the books, but maybe I don't need to bother now?

Yeah season 3 has been a big step up, every single episode has been tense and gripping and I'm now at a point where I genuinely care about all the characters, where in the first season I found them all a bit empty and flat. Maybe it was the time I've spent with them on the show, or just they are no written better.

Midway through S3 however it suddenly gets even better:

Spoiler

The time jump caught me out a bit (mainly due to weird bugs in Amazon Prime where it tends to skip the end of episodes if I close it down and start again), but when I realised what had happened I almost cried. I do like a good time jump, it gives a sense of scale to proceedings, and the scale of the show has shot up with the ring.

Whereas before I saw the show and the protomolecule as being just a reasonably bland story about about an intergalactic war between Earth, Mars and the Belt, and who would get the biggest weapon, now I realise that story has become simply background for something a lot larger and a lot more interesting. And I love it!

I think the books have quite a bit to offer, but some are hit and miss, and honestly the worst of them all is going to be where the show is next season. 

Then, naturally, we get the best book since Leviathan Wakes (the first), and apparently next season is using a lot of that as well. 

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I think the books have quite a bit to offer, but some are hit and miss, and honestly the worst of them all is going to be where the show is next season. 

Then, naturally, we get the best book since Leviathan Wakes (the first), and apparently next season is using a lot of that as well. 

Nemesis Games is fucking awesome.

34 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Was considering dipping my toe into the books, but maybe I don't need to bother now?

Yeah season 3 has been a big step up, every single episode has been tense and gripping and I'm now at a point where I genuinely care about all the characters, where in the first season I found them all a bit empty and flat. Maybe it was the time I've spent with them on the show, or just they are no written better.

Midway through S3 however it suddenly gets even better:

Reveal hidden contents

The time jump caught me out a bit (mainly due to weird bugs in Amazon Prime where it tends to skip the end of episodes if I close it down and start again), but when I realised what had happened I almost cried. I do like a good time jump, it gives a sense of scale to proceedings, and the scale of the show has shot up with the ring.

Whereas before I saw the show and the protomolecule as being just a reasonably bland story about about an intergalactic war between Earth, Mars and the Belt, and who would get the biggest weapon, now I realise that story has become simply background for something a lot larger and a lot more interesting. And I love it!

The time jump was handled really well, by going with the rock hopper dude, and showing how long it still takes to travel through space. 

4 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Yeah, it really is. I have issues with a couple things, but it's by far the best since the first, and I'm really hoping next season gets into more of that and less of Cibola Burn.

I doubt it, if they continue to follow the fairly linear story progression they've being going with. On the other hand, they could make the Cibola Burn plot work through flashbacks while the Nemesis Games plot unfolds. If it's the former, not the latter, then I doubt we'll see more than 1/3 of the season deal with the Nemesis Games plot, because

Spoiler

Cibola Burn keeps most of the main characters together, while Nemesis Games breaks them up. So the crew of the Roci + Bobbie and new characters can deal with the Cibola Burn plot, while we get to see various shifts in the Sol system through the eyes of Drummer and Avasarala, and maybe Marco and Filip (whose name was already dropped) are also introduced.

2 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Spoiler

Is that the one where the crew splits up and all have their own little adventure? 

If so, yeah that was probably my favorite of the series thus far.  Haven't disliked any of them, though.  

32 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I doubt it, if they continue to follow the fairly linear story progression they've being going with. On the other hand, they could make the Cibola Burn plot work through flashbacks while the Nemesis Games plot unfolds. If it's the former, not the latter, then I doubt we'll see more than 1/3 of the season deal with the Nemesis Games plot, because

Hide contents

Cibola Burn keeps most of the main characters together, while Nemesis Games breaks them up. So the crew of the Roci + Bobbie and new characters can deal with the Cibola Burn plot, while we get to see various shifts in the Sol system through the eyes of Drummer and Avasarala, and maybe Marco and Filip (whose name was already dropped) are also introduced.

Well, kinda.

Big spoilers for actual season 4. 

Spoiler

We know that Bobbie isn't with the Roci crew, and she's off doing things unrelated to them. She'll be interacting with Avasarala as well, apparently. Chances are good we'll get part of her short story thrown in and get some Mars viewpoints, but we'll also likely be setting up the Duarte/Free Navy bits too. 

So I suspect Cibola's part will be about the first half of the season, and then we'll get into Nemesis Games in a similar time jump to what we had before. 

Not sure if Clarissa is coming back this season either. 

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

Well, kinda.

Big spoilers for actual season 4. 

Hide contents

We know that Bobbie isn't with the Roci crew, and she's off doing things unrelated to them. She'll be interacting with Avasarala as well, apparently. Chances are good we'll get part of her short story thrown in and get some Mars viewpoints, but we'll also likely be setting up the Duarte/Free Navy bits too. 

So I suspect Cibola's part will be about the first half of the season, and then we'll get into Nemesis Games in a similar time jump to what we had before. 

Not sure if Clarissa is coming back this season either. 

Spoiler

Well shit, I didn't know that about Bobbie. The way season 3 ended, it implied she was going with the Roci for a time.

If it's the former, not the latter, then I doubt we'll see more than 1/3 of the season deal with the Nemesis Games plot

Not to mention:

Ending with the rocks falling is too good a cliffhanger. It's the series' Red Wedding moment, really.

It's also necessary to start accelerating things because they're unlikely to get 9 seasons (or 11-12 at the S1-2 pace), so they need to start moving the seasons past the books. By the end of Season 5 they should have finished Book 6 and they can then do Books 7-9 in two seasons, maybe even less.

• 2 months later...

Archived