The Expanse #4: Amazon Rising (spoilers for book only up to last episode)

Corvinus85

On 7/22/2019 at 8:49 PM, karaddin said:

I've assumed that with the move to Amazon we'll also see the show change to drop the whole season at once but has that actually been confirmed?

It has not. 

On 7/23/2019 at 4:49 AM, karaddin said:

I've assumed that with the move to Amazon we'll also see the show change to drop the whole season at once but has that actually been confirmed?

As an Amazon Original, it'll almost certainly drop all at once. They only don't do that for foreign sales of American shows airing in the traditional manner (so Picard, which is on Amazon Prime outside of the States, will drop weekly).

4 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Another teaser. Looks like Ashford will still be in the story.

Can't watch, on plane, but I think Ashford being involved is a GREAT idea. What a good performance of what is a bit of an underwritten character in the books.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Can't watch, on plane, but I think Ashford being involved is a GREAT idea. What a good performance of what is a bit of an underwritten character in the books.

Not sure what his role will be in season 4, but with no Pa in season 3, I imagine Ashford is where that strand of books 5 and 6 will land.

They need to add something for Bobbie, Avasarala, and Drummer to do, since those actors are all in the main cast, so it makes sense to keep Ashford on as well.

Also, I suspect they intend him to take on the Anderson Dawes role if they can’t afford Jared Harris any more.

29 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

They need to add something for Bobbie, Avasarala, and Drummer to do, since those actors are all in the main cast, so it makes sense to keep Ashford on as well.

Also, I suspect they intend him to take on the Anderson Dawes role if they can’t afford Jared Harris any more.

There was an interview for Harris around the time that Chernobyl came out where he talked about how much he enjoyed doing the show (he even took time to big up Fringe, despite finishing his role on that show almost a decade ago), so coupled with the fact that Amazon can afford him (apparently the budget increase for the show on its move to Amazon has been considerable), I don't think it should be a problem.

There does seem to have been a bit of a narrative move away from him as a character though, so I don't know if they've just decided to go in a different direction.

This news definitely means we get to The Expanse's Red Wedding moment, whether it's this year or next, as it could still be the cliffhanger for Season 4, as I really don't see them stretching Ilus across 10 hours, but we'll see.

15 hours ago, Werthead said:

There was an interview for Harris around the time that Chernobyl came out where he talked about how much he enjoyed doing the show (he even took time to big up Fringe, despite finishing his role on that show almost a decade ago), so coupled with the fact that Amazon can afford him (apparently the budget increase for the show on its move to Amazon has been considerable), I don't think it should be a problem.

That's good news, I would love to see him do the scene where Dawes is convincing all the different OPA factions to trust Holden.

Jared Harris will also appear in the new Amazon original, Carnival Row. I'm not sure how big his role is, though wikipedia says he's part of the main cast. So I don't know if he had time to shoot anything for The Expanse, but hopefully he did.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the increased budget is noticeable just in the new trailer already. The glimpses we get of Ilus convince me that some of the events to come are going to visually succeed and I know that's going to come with a heavy emotional success for me as well. The Kennedy moon speech was an inspired choice for it as well, as was the editing of the two to sync up.

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Yes, yes it does. Amazon budget is very visible.

If they somehow make the worst book in the series into something incredible itll cement this show as the best sci fi show of the century. It didnt start out that way, but it really has grown into its voice and visual language. 

And just think if they do this with cibola burn what they'll be able to do with nemesis games. And REALLY what theyll do with tiamats wrath. 

Archived