The Expanse #4: Amazon Rising (spoilers for book only up to last episode)

Corvinus85

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

First six eps are out for review, reviews are so far awesome. It sounds like they're going to do a similar thing to abandons gate and have cibola burn as the first half. 

I haven't seen that. The reviews seem to suggest all 10 episodes are on Ilus but there's expanded and new-ish storylines for Drummer, Avasarala and Bobbie back in the Solar system. I haven't seen any indicating they're off Ilus by episode 5 or 6 (which is all they got for review).

Don't get me wrong, I think doing Ilus in 5 episodes and then ending on the Red Wedding moment from Nemesis Games makes more sense, but I haven't seen an indication that's what they're doing.

55 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I haven't seen that. The reviews seem to suggest all 10 episodes are on Ilus but there's expanded and new-ish storylines for Drummer, Avasarala and Bobbie back in the Solar system. I haven't seen any indicating they're off Ilus by episode 5 or 6 (which is all they got for review).

Don't get me wrong, I think doing Ilus in 5 episodes and then ending on the Red Wedding moment from Nemesis Games makes more sense, but I haven't seen an indication that's what they're doing.

I can't wait for all the Nemesis Games content, particularly Amos' stuff.  I think that's going to play out great on screen.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

It's 10 episodes, not 13? :(

1 minute ago, Werthead said:

Nope, back to 10 again.

Then you may be right. I can see them leaving the Roci crew on Ilus for the entire season, but setting up Nemesis Games with story elements through the eyes of Bobbie, Avasarala, and Drummer.

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, looks like I was wrong - I had assumed 13 eps, but it appears

Spoiler

Ep 5 or 6 is where the explosion on the planet happens

which means that they'll be on Ilus a bit longer. There was one review that was complaining a bit about the slow pace this season too, which is a bit disappointing. 

So...yeah.  Thought this thread was spoiler free for books that haven't been covered on the show yet?  But come in here and see people referencing upcoming events, which is really not cool.  Even if you aren't spelling out the details, leaving strong hints about the nature of what's going to happen also sucks.  It's not clever.  It's selfish.

11 hours ago, Werthead said:

They've cast Marco Inaros, but I'm assuming that's to introduce him early like they did with Avasarala and Bobbie.

Getting close to finishing my-rewatch of the show, and just want to gush a little more over it. There's so much attention to detail. They don't always get it right, but there's a lot of good effort either way.

A few things I hadn't noticed or didn't think about before:

• Hair floats in micro gravity, so what did they do to deal with this? All actors with long hair have it in tight buns, except Naomi, but hers is tightened, too; the hair for all the men with inch-long hair looks a bit shiny, I suspect heavily gelled to make it look stiff
  • On the ship sets there are all kinds of crates on the walls, held by magnetic clamps, because ships need to carry crates, and it's an effective way to secure them and then move them around if necessary - a clever piece of set decoration.
  • When the speed limit is reduced further and all the ships are stopped, most ships are stopped at their end point (not really the front, but the top deck if you will, opposite the engines); except for the Roci which is grabbed sideways; we don't know why that is, why Alex left the Roci in an awkward position, but it saved their lives; when they got stopped, both Alex and Amos were unsecured, and likely slammed into a wall; however if the ship had been stopped at the top, they would have flown into the ceiling, like many other characters, and suffered sever head wounds, which realistically should have killed them.

I am hyped for this coming back on Friday and know what I'll be doing all weekend.    

The drone display was pretty amazing.  Drones are replacing fireworks shows more and more.  The drone shows keeping getting better as they learn to control and send greater numbers of drones into the sky at one time.    But  part of me will miss the deafening boom and the smell of gunpowder when fireworks are completely gone.

Archived