The Expanse #4: Amazon Rising (spoilers for book only up to last episode)

Corvinus85

Alex was a background character last season anyway, his plot line was mostly inconsequential and was there to facilitate other stories. He’s just been floating around for a while, complaining about his family, doing some outrageous flight manoeuvres.. he’s boring. 

Yeah, if this had been Holden or even Amos they'd have a much bigger problem on their hands, but Alex is relatively story-disposable at this point (especially after Season/Book 5). Recasting a minor role (like Avasarala's husband) is one thing, but not one of the core cast who's been on the show since day one in fifty episodes. Killing him off is much more feasible.

34 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

They're done filming season 5, so just contrive a reason for him to be absent until the time jump. Then recast. I would not like to see the character destroyed because of Anvar's creeperness.

I hate recasting as a general rule. It really breaks the illusion. It also adds a layer of confusion if you aren’t paying attention. 

They recast Avasaralas husband last season and it confused me for a while as to who this guy was supposed to be

9 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I hate recasting as a general rule. It really breaks the illusion. It also adds a layer of confusion if you aren’t paying attention. 

They recast Avasaralas husband last season and it confused me for a while as to who this guy was supposed to be

I also hate recasting... but sometimes it's the way to go...  I hated how S3 of the Chi opened with Brandon's funeral, with no story as to why or how it happened... I get why they had to fire Jason Mitchell, but it sucked --insofar as the storytelling goes-- nevertheless... Alex is one of the main crew of 4 so I don;t think the character can be be swapped out... maybe I'm wrong, but i think the character might have some story ahead of him... 

Yeah maybe just pay attention to what you're watching. Alex is a main character with POV status in upcoming seasons. You don't write him out because the actor is a creeper and audiences don't understand that it's not real. Stories shouldn't be truncated for the sake of "maintaining an illusion."

Using the time jump as an excuse for the recast isn't a bad idea, but it'd still be odd since presumably all of the other characters won't be recast, and you've still got the problem with how to handle him in Season 6, where he is still an active character.

Spoiler

Killing him and replacing him with Clarissa is probably the most elegant solution, as it gives Clarissa more to do as well. You do have the problem of her not being an ace pilot, but of course with the time jump coming up she's got 30 years to learn.

Also nearly forgot this isn't a spoiler thread for future seasons/books.

17 hours ago, Heartofice said:

By a while, do you mean 5 minutes? Because that is all it took to establish what had happened.

I would like a recast. Like Jace said, the character should be saved from Anvar's creepiness. Given the show has plenty of life left, there's always a chance another actor can make the character his own. 

While Alex feels like a secondary character, he has always been the rock on the Roci. The other characters get to do other stuff as the story moves along, but Alex is the one where the Roci is. (most of the time)

And while this may not be true for other viewers, I still picture 90% of the characters as I originally did when reading the books, so I'm certainly not attached to Anvar's face. He did nail the accent though.

Alcon Entertainment have hired a third-person investigator to go through the accusations against Cas Anvar before they decide what action to take next (I suspect there's zero way out of that situation apart from firing him though, and this is just due diligence and arse-covering before they invoke the termination clause in the contract).

6 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Yeah, I am a fan of Alex and it would be a real shame to kill him off just because of his actor's douchiness.  My vote is for recast - it's a little awkward, but whatever.  

Killing him off could get a little weird anyway, it wouldn’t make sense for the other characters not to mourn the loss. But then you have them all saying how tragic it is and that reads a little strangely in real life. I forget how they left things last season (and not looking for book spoilers) but would it be plausible that he resolved his family issue and just went home? Then nobody needs to dwell on it cos Alex is happy. Just needs a line thrown in explaining it.

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

Killing him off could get a little weird anyway, it wouldn’t make sense for the other characters not to mourn the loss. But then you have them all saying how tragic it is and that reads a little strangely in real life. I forget how they left things last season (and not looking for book spoilers) but would it be plausible that he resolved his family issue and just went home? Then nobody needs to dwell on it cos Alex is happy. Just needs a line thrown in explaining it.

Season 5 is already done, so if they go that route, we will have to see how they end season 5. I doubt they're going to do massive re-writes and re-shoots now.

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

Alcon Entertainment have hired a third-person investigator to go through the accusations against Cas Anvar before they decide what action to take next (I suspect there's zero way out of that situation apart from firing him though, and this is just due diligence and arse-covering before they invoke the termination clause in the contract).

They should do this every time. for no other reason than it indemnifies the Entertainment company when they let someone go... no one can claim that there was no "due process".... also, every once in a great while, there is a Chris Hardwick situation, although this doesn;t seem to be that

On 6/25/2020 at 10:33 AM, Heartofice said:

Honestly I think you could just kill him off. There are a handful of characters I’d miss from the show if they were written out, but he wouldn’t be one of them. Don’t dislike the character but he’s not pulling the show along.

Recast.  Alex Kamal is a huge part of the story.  

• 1 month later...

Welp, The Expanse needs to be re-written from the start, books and show. https://www.yahoo.com/news/dwarf-planet-ceres-ocean-world-150218644.html

The dwarf planet Ceres -- long believed to be a barren space rock -- is an ocean world with reservoirs of sea water beneath its surface, the results of a major exploration mission showed Monday.

What's the point of having ships undergoing the dangerous work of hauling ice chunks from Saturn's rings to Ceres? :D 

• 1 month later...

Archived