The Expanse #4: Amazon Rising (spoilers for book only up to last episode)

Corvinus85

:tantrum: I read the first five words, and believed them until I was calm enough to read the rest. Part of me thought it was some sort of act of cosmic balance to account for the appearance of Deadwood: The Movie. We can't be allowed too many good things. 

That was great.

Holden and his coffee fixation, Bobbie checking people at the door, Amos doing security at the Dog park, Alex flying the tour group around, Naomi on tech support, and Chrisjen knows that there is always money in the banana stand.  

14 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Amazon has cancelled The Expanse and re-cast all the actors in a comedy show. :leaving:                                                                    

Wow...what a coincidence....i finished my first watch of this show last night... binged all 3 seasons in 4 days.Wanted to ask if season 4 has a release date/month yet?

At first,i was not sure about this since it's a SYFY show.. plus most actors in this are new to me (B actors?). I have not read the books (although have read DA's fantasy). I'm glad i gave this show a chance, it's damn good! :thumbsup:

A lot of the cast was at the Greater Philadelphia Comic Con (my awesome wife got me a picture with Dominique Tipper because she knows I crush on her...lol).... anyway.... they were all having a ball, like they were partying,,, laughing together, dancing, and just goofing around.... having been to more than my share of nerdy cons, I can say with confidence that this is not usually the case.... 

I too think that season 4 will end with

Book 5

the rocks falling.  It's just too perfect of a moment to not end a season with it.

This interview with Cas Anvar is simply fantastic:

I dunno about that

Spoiler

but it might just be because I found it *really* impactful in the books and that's too devastating a cliff hanger to leave a season on. I think its because it feels like such a reasonable extrapolation of our future that it felt like actually killing Earth rather than an abstract fictional one.

I'm just expecting that if its done right it won't play like a blockbuster disaster movie but something deeply upsetting.

I think as long as it isn't the last scene and they spend the episode exploring the event unfold and immediate aftermath it will make a good season finale. Then again, having it happen episode 2 or 3 would be a great shock to non book viewers

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

That looks great, but what is with all the screen size changes?  Widescreen to Full screen and back.

hmm, I didn't notice until you pointed it out. It's interesting that all the Ilus scene are widescreen, and all (what I think are) the Sol system scenes are full screen. 

8 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

That looks great, but what is with all the screen size changes?  Widescreen to Full screen and back.

Naren Shankar mentioned this in an interview, they wanted a really different feel for Ilus so filmed the scenes there on anamorphic lenses.

I thought the music in the long, mostly speechless, teaser recalled the theme from Sunshine while being quite distinct as the same time. Given that piece was about our star and this was them stepping out into a sky under a different star I thought that was quite nicely done.

Also nicely done is dropping a teaser building up the wonder of setting foot on a new planet on the 50th anniversary of the moon landing.

That trailer was great. Loved Naomi's gravity acting. The fourth book was my least favourite in the series but it may turn out much better on screen if this is anything to go by.

I have the same feelings, too, about what the show might do with book 4. There also seems to be stuff inserted from book 5 in it, too. Given the show's tendency to introduce characters early, I've no doubt they'll do similar stuff here, to setup the plot for book 5, while the Ilus stuff is going on.

Archived