U.S. Politics: Hey! Teachers! Leave Them Kids Alone

Martell Spy

28 minutes ago, La Albearceleste said:

This is the crux of it. The calls by the other side for 'civility' are actually calls for the Democrats to co-operate in playing down how appalling the Republicans' actions have been, to shift that Overton window so that this racism, corruption and authoritarianism is seen as within the bounds of tolerable political conduct.

The election where Trump defeated the candidate who played by the rules and was civil?

Sorry, you've made a mistake. That's the evidence against your position. The claims that Clinton 'followed' Trump into the mud are just another false equivalence: the blinkers are on.

Yes. 2016.

That comment was not even remotely as uncivil as any random comment selected from literally anything Trump said. It may have been unwise, it may have even been insulting to some voters, but it was a very, very civil insult. Not crude at all. No call for violence. No coarse language. No cruelty.

If you think this disproves my point, you're clutching at straws.

I think the situation is pretty perilous as it is.

I also think that the thing that really matters, particularly to Obama/Trump switchers, is not civility. There's zero evidence for that. But there is evidence that they care about authenticity. That's why they responded to both Obama's civility and Trump's crassness: because they believed that Obama was genuinely an affable, polite guy and that Trump was genuinely a dick.

So if Waters is genuinely angry, let her be angry. Don't ask her to fake civility to try to impress people. That won't work. You only think it will because that's built in to how you perceive politics: it's a ground-level assumption of the rules of the game. But the rules have been suspended.

Hey, maybe don't imply Crowley is a sexual harasser just because you are glad his opponent won?

I didn't say that he himself did/does, but I can see why you might think so.

However, he is a member of the affinities who do abuse and harass in the state and city of NY and in D.C., and political affiliation, as we've seen, locally and nationally, has nothing to do with it. This is playing out big time in the current political arena, as we have a sexual predator and racist in chief enabling all these horrible actions across the nation -- not to mention, shall we say, incivility in public and private discourse?

1 hour ago, Jace, The Sugarcube said:

I'd call this a fantasy, but it's beyond even the most drug addled mind's ability to conjure.

Win 37 state legislatures, identify an utterly reliable partisan leader in each state, send the 37 to a motel in Hawaii and tell them to wait.

on the first day the new legislatures are seated, iforst business taken up by each legislature is immediately pass a bill calling for a constitutional convention, and name one delegate (see above).

a few hours later, once all 37 states have passed this legislation, and a quorum of 37 is reached, the constitutional convention begins, live stream it to the world. Immediately read aloud, then vote to ratify respectively the four dozen or so amendments we desperately need, have them all take effect immediately. 

maybe pass a final amendment that any of the amendments from this convention can only be repealed or amended by unanimous consent of all 52 states (since two of the amendments will be state hood for the states Tubman (DC aka new Columbia) and Puerto Rico)

1 minute ago, lokisnow said:

Win 37 state legislatures, identify an utterly reliable partisan leader in each state, send the 37 to a motel in Hawaii and tell them to wait.

on the first day the new legislatures are seated, immediately pass a bill calling for a constitutional convention, and name one delegate (see above).

a few hours later, once all 37 states have passed this legislation, and a quorum of 37 is reached, the constitutional convention begins, live stream it to the world. Immediately read aloud, then vote to ratify respectively the four dozen or so amendments we desperately need, have them all take effect immediately. 

maybe pass a final amendment that any of the amendments from this convention can only be repealed or amended by unanimous consent of all 52 states (since two of the amendments will be state hood for the states Tubman (DC aka new Columbia) and Puerto Rico)

Yeah, is there a timeline on this plan? 'Cause I'm pretty sure Dem's control like 8 state legislatures. And unions are about to get kicked in the fiscal balls, so there goes basically every Dem springboard in red states.

3 minutes ago, Jace, The Sugarcube said:

Yeah, is there a timeline on this plan? 'Cause I'm pretty sure Dem's control like 8 state legislatures. And unions are about to get kicked in the fiscal balls, so there goes basically every Dem springboard in red states.

No timeline but it bypasses the fucking worthless delaying democrat senators and House to directly enact amendments as quickly as possible. Step one, win 37 legislatures, step two amend the constitution. Much more simple than corralling the power mad, stupid wealthy and change averse white men controlling the democrat federal party.

when people say nothing can be done, they simply don’t have a plan to actually fucking do it. Don’t like the imposter on the court? Fine don’t say nothing can be done, because we can remove the imposter and invalidate the decisions he was part to, it’s just going to be hard but not impossible.

No timeline but it bypasses the fucking worthless delaying democrat senators and House to directly enact amendments as quickly as possible. Step one, win 37 legislatures, step two amend the constitution. Much more simple than corralling the power mad, stupid wealthy and change averse white men controlling the democrat federal party.

Look, I feel ya. I really do. But this has less chance of happening than me falling in love again.

Some things are just dead inside, y'know? Like me or our democracy.

1 hour ago, La Albearceleste said:

This is the crux of it. The calls by the other side for 'civility' are actually calls for the Democrats to co-operate in playing down how appalling the Republicans' actions have been, to shift that Overton window so that this racism, corruption and authoritarianism is seen as within the bounds of tolerable political conduct.

I don’t see it this way. You can still call a spade a spade and call out Trump for his racist remarks, his inhumane treatment of asylum seekers at the border, authoritarian tendencies, etc. while also comporting yourself in a calm and composed manner. I’m simply arguing that the candidate and leadership should not fall into the trap that’s being laid for them.

The election where Trump defeated the candidate who played by the rules and was civil?

Sorry, you've made a mistake. That's the evidence against your position. The claims that Clinton 'followed' Trump into the mud are just another false equivalence: the blinkers are on.

In many instances she was civil, but she could also be rude, condescending, arrogant etc. You need someone more like Obama than Clinton.

That comment was not even remotely as uncivil as any random comment selected from literally anything Trump said. It may have been unwise, it may have even been insulting to some voters, but it was a very, very civil insult. Not crude at all. No call for violence. No coarse language. No cruelty.

If you think this disproves my point, you're clutching at straws.

While your correct to say that it’s nowhere near as bad as what Trump was saying, it was still a bad thing to say. And that’s just one example. Look, when Trump started getting rough, Hillary returned serve. She should have just ignored him.

I think the situation is pretty perilous as it is.

I also think that the thing that really matters, particularly to Obama/Trump switchers, is not civility. There's zero evidence for that. But there is evidence that they care about authenticity. That's why they responded to both Obama's civility and Trump's crassness: because they believed that Obama was genuinely an affable, polite guy and that Trump was genuinely a dick.

So if Waters is genuinely angry, let her be angry. Don't ask her to fake civility to try to impress people. That won't work. You only think it will because that's built in to how you perceive politics: it's a ground-level assumption of the rules of the game. But the rules have been suspended.

You’re correct in saying Obama-Trump voters don’t care about civility and that authenticity matters, but that’s not the point I was getting at. You need to go after people who don’t like Trump, but also didn’t vote in 2016 or in general. If you go with a hard left firebrand, you’re probably going to lose in 2020, and it’s important for so many more reasons than just Trump that Democrats have a good cycle. Furthermore, you need someone that can start to undo the toxicity that Trump as sown. A firebrand cannot do that.  

21 minutes ago, Los Ticos Mexal said:

Kennedy retiring effective July 31st. Hits keep coming.

F***, that leaves enough time for Republicans to confirm his replacement before the midterms.
Not that the Democrats had much hope of retaking the Senate, but still, I was really hoping Kennedy would let voters play a role.

This... is really bad.

Ted Cruz to the Supreme Court. Calling it now. Wont be confirmed until after the election in November. Ted will say he isnt interested and is focused on the citizens of Texas, but after the election, he will be confirmed by Christmas. 

3 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

F***, that leaves enough time for Republicans to confirm his replacement before the midterms.
Not that the Democrats had much hope of retaking the Senate, but still, I was really hoping Kennedy would let voters play a role.

This... is really bad.

You can say FUCK here. Are you afraid of being... uncivil? We're all uncivil now.

Welcome to UNcivilization!

-Insert maniacal laugh hiding real pain here-

Well Jace is right, with Kennedy retiring, that is the end of democracy in America.

For those keeping score at home, once Kennedy’s replacement is confirmed, in the fifty-one since LBJ realigned American politics with the passage of the CRA and VRA and other great society programs and violated the white sanctity Of the Supreme Court with his final appointment, in those fifty one elapsed years we will have had fourteen justices appointed by republicans and four justices appointed by democrats, including of course one stolen seat.

Well Jace is right, with Kennedy retiring, that is the end of democracy in America.

For those keeping score at home, once Kennedy’s replacement is confirmed, in the fifty-one since LBJ realigned American politics with the passage of the CRA and VRA and other great society programs and violated the white sanctity Of the Supreme Court in those fifty one years we will have had fourteen justices appointed by republicans and four justices appointed by democrats, including of course one stolen seat.

Oh don't be so dramatic.

It's been dead for years, you're only now coming to terms with it.

36 minutes ago, Jace, The Sugarcube said:

HA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Tywin, tell me more about how it's possible to win please?

Hey, go blame the majority of white women who stabbed their sisters in the back. Those reproduction rights were nice. Too bad someone had to come and take them away.

35 minutes ago, Los Ticos Mexal said:

I don't think I've ever been more dejected. I hate that I'm living through the collapse of America.

It was inevitable man. He was going to retire sooner than later. What you need to watch out for is if other older conservative justices retire. It’s smart politically to replace them with people who can sit on the bench for several decades to come. And of course if the older liberals retire or die……….

Archived