U.S. Politics: Hey! Teachers! Leave Them Kids Alone

Martell Spy

I'm still curious why he didn't retire last year like was rumored, but I'm guessing he wasn't quite sure how Trump was going to be and wanted to ensure that Trump wasn't too insane (at least by his standards), and now he's cool with things.

Or something.

It is a bit chilling that the swing vote will probably be considered to be Roberts, if such a thing will actually exist any more. 

Fucking Christ. If I had know this was how the next few years were going to go, I would have just ended my relationship with my now-wife, refused to bring a child into this world, and lost myself in base pleasures until I died of some disease of excess in the smoldering embers of the American empire.

Just now, كالدب said:

I'm still curious why he didn't retire last year like was rumored, but I'm guessing he wasn't quite sure how Trump was going to be and wanted to ensure that Trump wasn't too insane (at least by his standards), and now he's cool with things.

Or something.

It is a bit chilling that the swing vote will probably be considered to be Roberts, if such a thing will actually exist any more. 

Because Kennedy is a piece of shit. Just because he had a few rulings on the right side of things, he's an utter scumbag who should be remembered as such. Especially for this snake fucking move.

Just now, كالدب said:

Look, it's ridiculous to say that just because Nazis took over the US that the US is going to be destroyed. Germany wasn't destroyed after WW2. Just, ya know, millions of people including a massive ethnic genocide. 

But Germany survived!

Yea it's extremely fucking ignorant.

30 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Not really when everyone is running around with their hair on fire. It's terrible for certain groups who've historically been mistreated, but this isn't the end of the country or anything close to it. Frankly, crying wolf about the end of the country numbs people to the concept and makes them less likely to fight for it. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. 

What does the alarm bell that will alert everyone to when the Bad Things Are Happening become the Bad Things That Matter To Me Are Happening sound like, just so we know? Cause we know it doesn’t sound like government officials joking about the sounds children being imprisoned make. 

6 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

What does the alarm bell that will alert everyone to when the Bad Things Are Happening become the Bad Things That Matter To Me Are Happening sound like, just so we know? Cause we know it doesn’t sound like government officials joking about the sounds children being imprisoned make. 

I actually had to restrain myself there. Fucking Ty, man... you're so caught up in wanting your say that you're not thinking at all about what you're actually saying. That, or you're a borderline sociopath.

Time for some Court-packing by the Democrats if they win back unified control in 2020, unless they win back the Senate in November and Clarence Thomas promptly drops dead. 

I feel like the full, sickening weight of this hasn't hit me emotionally yet. Roe is dead - sometime in the next week or two, one of the Republican-dominated states will pass a broad ban on abortion and let it rise up through the federal courts to the Supreme Court, just in time for Kennedy's replacement to provide the 5th vote on striking down women's right to an abortion sometime next year. At that point abortion only becomes available if you're lucky enough to either live in a "blue" state or have the money to go there, and you can bet a Roe strikedown will be followed by Republican bills for a national abortion ban if they control either chamber of congress. 

There's an even worse scenario, although I don't think it will happen. The Court could find that abortion violates the Equal Protection Clause, essentially saying it's unconstitutional altogether. 

1 hour ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I think you're misunderstanding me. I agree that they'll never be satisfied in the long run until they turn this place into a theocracy. But voting is as much or more about turnout and motivation as it is about policy. I guarantee you that right now, Jesus-freaks are sending out hundreds of thousands of calls and emails about telling their Senator to vote for Trump's replacement to overturn Roe. 

If they get that victory in early fall, and then bad news comes in regarding Obamacare premiums (which that front is looking dreadful for Republicans) then I'm saying there could be a possibility their motivation is sapped because they'll have won a victory.

You. Are. Still. Wrong.  I did not misunderstand you.  Next up: burning trans people at the stake.

23 minutes ago, Summer Bass said:

Time for some Court-packing by the Democrats if they win back unified control in 2020, unless they win back the Senate in November and Clarence Thomas promptly drops dead. 

I feel like the full, sickening weight of this hasn't hit me emotionally yet. Roe is dead - sometime in the next week or two, one of the Republican-dominated states will pass a broad ban on abortion and let it rise up through the federal courts to the Supreme Court, just in time for Kennedy's replacement to provide the 5th vote on striking down women's right to an abortion sometime next year. At that point abortion only becomes available if you're lucky enough to either live in a "blue" state or have the money to go there, and you can bet a Roe strikedown will be followed by Republican bills for a national abortion ban if they control either chamber of congress. 

There's an even worse scenario, although I don't think it will happen. The Court could find that abortion violates the Equal Protection Clause, essentially saying it's unconstitutional altogether. 

Roe effectively has been dead for about 15 years in most parts of the US.  With this they can more effectively go after trans people, gays, etc.

You know what civility gets you? A stolen supreme court seat, and civil rights stripped away by another far right scumbag like Gorsuch that will be seated next to him.

Old white dems, stay the fuck out of the way. You're worthless and useless now. And you sure as fuck dont have everyones best interest at heart when you keep trying to play by the book with fascists. 

4 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

You know what civility gets you? A stolen supreme court seat, and civil rights stripped away by another far right scumbag like Gorsuch that will be seated next to him.

Old white dems, stay the fuck out of the way. You're worthless and useless now. And you sure as fuck dont have everyones best interest at heart when you keep trying to play by the book with fascists. 

The book the Dems wrote is long out of print, generates no royalties and hasn't been cited by any scholarly work since Reagan.

14 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Roe effectively has been dead for about 15 years in most parts of the US.  With this they can more effectively go after trans people, gays, etc

Not really. Even in the most staunchly anti-choice states, there have been at least one clinic left that provides abortions. Now that will be gone, and legal abortion will disappear from the entire South and much of the heartland. 

Sanders' useless old white ass is at a book party in DC and told the room “in many ways we did win the election.”

Uh huh.

He's such a coutner productive pile of shit. And he is very much a centrist that is way too comfortable being shoulder to shoulder with racists and other bigots and making excuses for them.

10 minutes ago, Summer Bass said:

Not really. Even in the most staunchly anti-choice states, there have been at least one clinic left that provides abortions. Now that will be gone, and legal abortion will disappear from the entire South and much of the heartland. 

Right -- try getting to that one clinic in North Dakota when you live in the northwest or center of the state, are poor and don't have a car.

20 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

But you won't win any electoral majorities without them. So it's in your interests, if you still think trying to win elections is going to get you anywhere, to at least be a bit civil to that particular white demographic.

6 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

But you won't win any electoral majorities without them. So it's in your interests, if you still think trying to win elections is going to get you anywhere, to at least be a bit civil to that particular white demographic.

Why not? I'd generally like to understand this, or at least, how you surmise it's some invioable truth.

12 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Right -- try getting to that one clinic in North Dakota when you live in the northwest or center of the state, are poor and don't have a car.

But it can be worse than no access, if Roe gets overturned. What about women who have at home abortions with RU-486 being tried for murder? What about some online pharmacy that sells it being accused as a co-conspirator? That wouldn't succeed very far today, but can end up happening in a post-Roe scenario. 

As for packing the courts, there's no reason to stop there. The ideal scenario would be to add 10 seats, but also change the way the Court functions, so each case is heard by a random subset of 3 or 5 justices, with an option for an en blac review. Pretty much, make the Supreme Court work like the Federal courts do. This makes any given Justice way less powerful, and you cannot definitely know picking a guy will mean a decision goes one way or another, so the political heat surrounding the nomination process will reduce. 

Does anyone know if the second part just needs an act of Congress or an Amendment? 

2 hours ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Not really when everyone is running around with their hair on fire. It's terrible for certain groups who've historically been mistreated, but this isn't the end of the country or anything close to it. Frankly, crying wolf about the end of the country numbs people to the concept and makes them less likely to fight for it. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. 

But... Don't you think it's already too late for a lot of people? Like, can you still expect a recent immigrant from... say, Guatemala, to believe that the U.S. is worth his loyalty now?
People will keep fighting for their rights and futures, because they have no choice (there's no Western country that's safe for immigrants anymore, so nowhere to flee to). But "America" as a concept may actually have ended for our lifetime. The Republicans playing with fire and the demographics were always putting it at risk, but trumpism may have dealt it a mortal blow. I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I don't see how people directly threatened by trumpism can ever trust in the U.S. ever again, let alone the white "majority."
Of course, historically speaking, the U.S. wasn't actually that welcoming or tolerant, it's mostly a myth. But it's the kind of myth that is required for a national identity to endure. Take away such a foundational myth, and what is there left to bind people together?
My point is, for many people something has indeed ended. Not because they're hysterical or hyperbolic, but quite simply because the values that bound them to America as a nation have vanished in a matter of years. You don't come back from that kind of trauma ; on the contrary you talk about it with your kids and grandkids, you warn them never to feel safe and secure.

1 hour ago, Summer Bass said:

I wouldnt be surprised if the Republicans let blue states keep abortion. Because they are hypocrites and might need it for some of their own - without having to go to Canada or Europe. Or simply because they might not want to fight very liberal states like California head-on. And they can always mumble something about "States' rights" to feel good about it.

Archived