Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Martell Spy

U.S. Politics: Hey! Teachers! Leave Them Kids Alone

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

But if that's the case Maxine gave them ample fodder for counter messaging anyway.

Oh noes.

She accidentally gave ammunition to the Republican party, who have repeatedly shown that if there's no ammunition available they'll just make some shit up anyway.

Disaster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SCOTUS is just as blighted by sway of an authoritarian as the rest of the U.S. government. We are fucked, if Kennedy does indeed retire, we will sorely miss his occasional bouts of sanity, it only gets worse from here.

Edited by Morpheus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, La Albearceleste said:

Oh noes.

She accidentally gave ammunition to the Republican party, who have repeatedly shown that if there's no ammunition available they'll just make some shit up anyway.

Disaster. 

I agree with you completely. Was ripping on DMC's response, though less sarcastically mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, La Albearceleste said:

Oh noes.

She accidentally gave ammunition to the Republican party, who have repeatedly shown that if there's no ammunition available they'll just make some shit up anyway.

Disaster. 

I do think that some of the voters can tell the difference between "ammunition" that is just made up and things that are actually real quotes made in public. So yes, this was counterproductive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I do think that some of the voters can tell the difference between "ammunition" that is just made up and things that are actually real quotes made in public. So yes, this was counterproductive. 

I'm not confident of that at all, particularly where (as here) the 'real' ammunition is a twisted misrepresentation. Few indeed are the voters who care enough about the distinction between misrepresentation and just plain lying.

There's a wider point, too, about the amount of energy and attention Democrats should spend on policing and critiquing their own and their allies' behaviour in case it 'gives ammunition' to the Republicans. With rare exceptions, this isn't a cost-effective use of either resource, IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I do think that some of the voters can tell the difference between "ammunition" that is just made up and things that are actually real quotes made in public. So yes, this was counterproductive. 

White man with no skin in the game telling a woman of color she is being counter productive. LOL. 

You don't treat fascists with respect, and yes, this administration and their supporters are very much that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Trump administration officials should be able to live their lives in peace and affluence while they inflict serious harms on large portions of the American population. Not being able to go to restaurants and attend parties and be celebrated is just the minimum baseline here. These people, who are pushing America merrily down the road to fascism and white nationalism, are delusional if they do not think that the backlash is going to get much worse."

"When you aggressively fuck with people’s lives, you should not be surprised when they decide to fuck with yours."
https://splinternews.com/this-is-just-the-beginning-1827099100

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Civility is important so that the replacement for Trump doesn't become some ultra left-wing lunatic. People get caught up in the echo-chamber that is politics on social media and the internet. Which is generally populated by a lot of mentally unwell people with very loud voices, and also is not representative of the population as a whole. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sperry said:

Civility is important so that the replacement for Trump doesn't become some ultra left-wing lunatic. People get caught up in the echo-chamber that is politics on social media and the internet. Which is generally populated by a lot of mentally unwell people with very loud voices, and also is not representative of the population as a whole. 

lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sperry said:

Civility is important so that the replacement for Trump doesn't become some ultra left-wing lunatic. People get caught up in the echo-chamber that is politics on social media and the internet. Which is generally populated by a lot of mentally unwell people with very loud voices, and also is not representative of the population as a whole. 

Right. Only one side should be able to elect unfit lunatics to office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DanteGabriel said:

Right. Only one side should be able to elect unfit lunatics to office.

This is a bizarre attitude. Nobody should elect lunatics to office. Getting your sides lunatics into office isn't any better than the other sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Civility is needed, more importantly, to push back against Trumpism. Trump wants to drag us into the mud because that’s where he has the advantage, and you never fight someone on their preferred terrain. Furthermore, civility is probably the only way to undo some of the damage that Trump has done. If the left gets as nasty as Trump, our current state of affairs will not change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 things: there is a vast gulf of options between 'civil' and 'as nasty as Trump' and DON'T FUCKING LET THE TRUMPISTS REFRAME THE CONVERSATION INTO BEING ABOUT CIVILITY YOU'RE DOING WHAT THEY WANT YOU CLARTS.


I mean fucking hell the news stories are suddenly all more about the Red fucking Hen than the children in cages, what the fuck are we doing here?

Edited by Fellaining Da Bruyne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Civility is needed, more importantly, to push back against Trumpism. Trump wants to drag us into the mud because that’s where he has the advantage, and you never fight someone on their preferred terrain. Furthermore, civility is probably the only way to undo some of the damage that Trump has done. If the left gets as nasty as Trump, our current state of affairs will not change.

 

I agree. We are 6 years removed from a very civil candidate winning in a landslide. Trump was able to emerge victorious because he was fighting against collectively the worst group of candidates imaginable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Civility is needed, more importantly, to push back against Trumpism. Trump wants to drag us into the mud because that’s where he has the advantage, and you never fight someone on their preferred terrain. Furthermore, civility is probably the only way to undo some of the damage that Trump has done. If the left gets as nasty as Trump, our current state of affairs will not change.

Yeah, ok.

Put down the Art of War for a second. Putting aside that I think these calls to civility are some kind of unconscious, white siege mentality type reaction-- Trump is a boardroom gangster that I suspect imagines he's some kind of 'alpha male' or some shit and pretty much everything he does is a dare designed to invoke challenge. I can't imagine he looks on civility with anything less than disdain.

If the left isn't willing to roll up their sleeves and engage, if they're going to leave the real scrapping for the citizens who've had enough, they can kiss their asses goodbye as far as I can see because they're no longer fighting the good fight-- it's just control and status quo.

Edited by JEORDHl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Morpheus said:

SCOTUS is just as blighted by sway of an authoritarian as the rest of the U.S. government. We are fucked, if Kennedy does indeed retire, we will sorely miss his occasional bouts of sanity, it only gets worse from here.

Hey, all we need is a constitutional amendment that blanketly invalidates all cases decided by a court with Gorsuch, that also removes Gorsuch from the court as a false judge and illegal judge alien and orders all the cases be reheld before a dem appointed court. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, sperry said:

This is a bizarre attitude. Nobody should elect lunatics to office. Getting your sides lunatics into office isn't any better than the other sides.

Until there's actually a serious candidate on the left who can be described as a lunatic, spare me your concern trolling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I do think that some of the voters can tell the difference between "ammunition" that is just made up and things that are actually real quotes made in public. So yes, this was counterproductive. 

Voters couldn’t tell the difference between ammunition based on real emails or things that are just made up about emails. And that issue had more journalistic coverage than any recent politics issue, it was more thoroughy covered than going to war with Iraq!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Fellaining Da Bruyne said:


I mean fucking hell the news stories are suddenly all more about the Red fucking Hen than the children in cages, what the fuck are we doing here?

Um, no. Most cable news shows outside of Fox are using their A and B blocks to cover what’s happening at the border.  Non-cable news shows are using either block to do the same. The Red Hen story is largely being covered in one of the later blocks, and only as a part of a broader segment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×