U.S. Politics: Hey! Teachers! Leave Them Kids Alone

Martell Spy

“Mad Dog” in the Doghouse
James Mattis is being pushed out of Trump’s inner circle. That should worry all of us.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/06/its-not-a-good-sign-that-james-mattis-is-being-pushed-out-of-trumps-inner-circle.html

Secretary of Defense James Mattis has been eased out of President Trump’s inner circle, and no one should be surprised, though we all should be alarmed.

The shove-aside—reported by NBC News on Monday and confirmed to me by two inside sources—has been in process at least since May, when Trump announced his withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal without notifying, much less consulting, Mattis. But this decline in status was probably inevitable.

55 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

Wait, you're Filipino? I could have sworn you said your family came from Central America. 

I've probably said something about my family suffering at the hands of Reagan's favorite Third World dictator, maybe you thought that was in Central America?

Yeah, my mother's federal taxes probably contributed to military aid to the guy who had her husband and a bunch of family friends killed. And some of that money then went to Paul Manafort's pockets, to smoothe any ruffled feathers over having opposition leaders murdered in broad daylight.

Judge Praised by Trump for Questioning Robert Mueller’s Authority Rules That Mueller Does, In Fact, Have Authority

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/06/virginia-judge-trump-praised-rejects-manafort-mueller-argument.html

And, completing the loop, Ellis has now issued a ruling asserting that Mueller’s charges against Manafort are in fact legitimate. Wrote Ellis:

The May 17 Appointment Order plainly authorizes the investigation of indirect links between Trump campaign officials and the Russian government in addition to more direct connections. In this regard, the May 17 Appointment Order authorizes the Special Counsel to investigate defendant’s ties with individuals financially and politically supported by the Russian government, even where, as here, those individuals are not themselves members of the Russian government. 

It is “plausible” and indeed ultimately persuasive,” he said further, “to argue that the [Manafort] investigation and prosecution has some relevance to the election which occurred months if not years after the alleged misconduct.”

Early returns have SQ 788 in Oklahoma up by 9 points (54-45).

Best response I've seen so far to explainers on the OK med. MJ initiative.

"Licensed individuals may carry up to 3 ounces (approx. 84-168 joints) on their person."

- 'The discrepancy in the number of joints is due to the fact that the boys in Oklahoma roll their joints all wrong. They're too damn skinny or they're way too long.'

I about lost it.

Reference if you're not a Cross Canadian Ragweed fan.

Nine Days of Agony

From behind bars, a father searches for one of the 2,000 kids still separated from their parents at the U.S.-Mexico border.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/06/nine-days-of-agony/563750/

When we spoke by phone Saturday morning, Cristian sounded frantic. He said they fled Honduras because crooked cops beat him and threatened to kill him in retaliation for informing on them. But after more than a week inside this Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention center without news from his child, he said the separation has created “much greater suffering” than the original violence. Now, Cristian told me, if he could speak to his son, he would say “forgive me."

Huge upset in NY-14 Dem Primary:

Longtime Rep. Joe Crowley (D-N.Y.), who’s been viewed as a potential House Speaker, is projected to lose the Democratic primary, a massive upset that will shake up the political world in New York and Washington.

Democrat Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a 28-year-old organizer for Sen. Bernie Sanders’s presidential campaign, defeated Crowley in his deep-blue district that encompasses northwest Queens and the eastern Bronx.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/394318-crowley-loses-in-new-york-dem-primary

Jeff Sessions Jokes About Separating Immigrant Children From Parents During L.A. Immigration Speech

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/06/jeff-sessions-jokes-about-separating-immigrant-children-from-parents-during-l-a-immigration-speech.html

Attorney General Jeff Sessions gave a speech at the Criminal Justice Legal Foundation’s Annual Luncheon Meeting Tuesday in Los Angeles. During his remarks specifically focused on immigration, Sessions joked about separating families of immigrants on the border to applause and laughter from the audience.

1 minute ago, LongRider said:

Oklahoma is OK!

Well, I don't know if I'd go THAT far.

Don't get me wrong...I love the state, my family's been here since 1889, weathered the Dust Bowl and Great Depression and I'll probably die here, but the Bible-Thumpers around here have driven us to some seriously fucked-up politics.

But this is a step in fighting the good fight. Now I need to light up a fatty to celebrate!

2 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

But this is a step in fighting the good fight. Now I need to light up a fatty to celebrate!

Good idea.  My experience in California with medical pot (I don't use it myself, friends and fam) goes like this:  go see Dr. Feelgood, tell the good doc your aliments, the doc gives the poor suffering patient the proper docs to get them legal and to be able to use the dispensary.   The poor suffering patient then gets to spend their time and money self medicating in all the various manifestations of legal medical pot to find the proper dose and method of admiration.  This could take a.) years, or b.) until pot is legalized for recreational use.   Either way, it seems to be quite beneficial to the poor suffering patient.    Enjoy smoking your first legal joint in OK when the time arrives, as it seems to something even a pot head doesn't forget. 

:smoking:

8 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Good idea.  My experience in California with medical pot (I don't use it myself, friends and fam) goes like this:  go see Dr. Feelgood, tell the good doc your aliments, the doc gives the poor suffering patient the proper docs to get them legal and to be able to use the dispensary.   The poor suffering patient then gets to spend their time and money self medicating in all the various manifestations of legal medical pot to find the proper dose and method of admiration.  This could take a.) years, or b.) until pot is legalized for recreational use.   Either way, it seems to be quite beneficial to the poor suffering patient.    Enjoy smoking your first legal joint in OK when the time arrives, as it seems to something even a pot head doesn't forget. 

:smoking:

I (mostly) jest. I hardly ever partake myself, although I probably will once it becomes legal here, because I've found that it manages my anxiety, depression and insomnia much better than the pharmacopia of pills I'm on now possibly ever could.

Your experience of what navigating medical marijuana is like sounds almost word-for-word identical for what it's like navigating the world of psychiatry with ADD, anxiety and depression, except figuring out correct dosage for one substance sounds a hell of a lot easier than figuring it out for 5. I imagine medical pot would be more expensive though, since it wouldn't be insured, but that's why I'm looking into growing my own. And may recreational pot use be ever in our favor.

Cheers! 

5 hours ago, Jace, The Sugarcube said:

Maybe there's hope for y'all after all.

And be careful, Ty Ty, I'd hate to see you confused for a rightie when the day comes for real change.

Actually the opposite. If your behaviour is indistinguishable from that of your enemy, you've become your enemy and then all hope is lost.

If you don't believe me, believe Jim Jefferies.

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Actually the opposite. If your behaviour is indistinguishable from that of your enemy, you've become your enemy and then all hope is lost.

If you don't believe me, believe Jim Jefferies.

Shut up and let me be menacing with totalitarian overtones to my totalitarianism resistance statements.

13 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Cheers

Cheers indeed.  The best part for me about med & req pot is that it's fucking legal, as it should be. Welcome Oklahoma to a new way of thinking. 

17 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I (mostly) jest. I hardly ever partake myself, although I probably will once it becomes legal here, because I've found that it manages my anxiety, depression and insomnia much better than the pharmacopia of pills I'm on now possibly ever could.

Your experience of what navigating medical marijuana is like sounds almost word-for-word identical for what it's like navigating the world of psychiatry with ADD, anxiety and depression, except figuring out correct dosage for one substance sounds a hell of a lot easier than figuring it out for 5. I imagine medical pot would be more expensive though, since it wouldn't be insured, but that's why I'm looking into growing my own. And may recreational pot use be ever in our favor.

Cheers! 

I hope one day you can overcome these things and no longer need chemical interventions. I'm not a big fan of long term symptomatic management.

For one thing, it doesn't matter if it's big pharma or big weed, both industries have a vested interest in keeping you dependent on them for you to maintain some level of stable existence. The more it's legalised the more big weed is going to become indistinguishable from the other corporate masters who run our lives. Weed won't be what the cool kids do anymore because it will be a product of The Man.

2 minutes ago, Jace, The Sugarcube said:

I'm not going to hurt you.

You're going to whip yourself through the streets.

Heh he he ha HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

As long as I get to keep my pants on.

Archived