What’s your all time favorite book series?

Mwm

His Dark Materials

Masters of Rome (not including Anthony and Cleopatra, that was dogshite).

The First Law and the standalones

They would be my top 3

That being said the first 3 books of ASOIAF are probably the best trilogy of books I have ever read, 4 and 5, not so much.  

On 7/8/2018 at 9:56 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Nice to see love for Crown of Stars. I didn't think anyone here read that.

It's a very strong series, although the ending is a bit weird and the series was probably overall one book too long. I also think Alain's story was handled much better than Liath's, and most of the secondary cast was far more interesting than either. But Hugh was a great boo-hiss villain and the worldbuilding is really interesting, with the tiny army sizes, the matriarchal version of Catholicism and the early medieval setting. In many ways it's an inverse take on ASoIaF and works really well from that angle.

On 7/6/2018 at 8:36 PM, Corvinus of Teranga said:

Despite its incomplete state, A Song of Ice and Fire. No other series has made me grow so attached to both its universe and the characters. The Wheel of Time came close, but it has diminished somewhat in my eyes in the last few years.

I've only read the Farseer Trilogy out of Hobb's books, and while it was great fantasy, there were moments when I felt she was too sadistic with Fitz.

That's like judging ASoIaF based on the first and complaining about how Ned Stark died so you didn't read the rest.  There are 13 other books that expand into some of the most beautiful writing and character development I've ever read.

7 minutes ago, aceluby said:

That's like judging ASoIaF based on the first and complaining about how Ned Stark died so you didn't read the rest.  There are 13 other books that expand into some of the most beautiful writing and character development I've ever read.

Umm, no it's not. The Farseer trilogy concludes a storyline. And what I was referring to is some of the stuff that she put Fitz through. I also didn't declare that I won't be reading any further books.

1 minute ago, Corvinus of Teranga said:

Umm, no it's not. The Farseer trilogy concludes a storyline. And what I was referring to is some of the stuff that she put Fitz through. I also didn't declare that I won't be reading any further books.

It's 1/5th the story, the world is still very small, cool things have just begun, and the best parts are yet to come.  I never said you declared that, just that judging the series based on it is similar to judging the series based on GoT, and I stand by that statement.  I hope you do read them, they are wonderful.

I'll echo a lot of other folks here and call out Realm of the Elderlings.  Such great character development and I love it more each time I re-read it.

The Long Price Quartet is also a great series - the books are all very good, but I think the series is more than the sum of its parts.

The Long Price Quartet, with each successive novel improving upon the last for a fantastic and unique series.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen(haven't continued with much of the later novels following the main series) for truly epic fantasy.

The First Law series. I prefer the stand-alones to the trilogy overall. Joe Abercrombie has such great characters.

On 7/9/2018 at 11:50 PM, Darth Richard II said:

I feel like there was a sequel/prequel series in the works for Crown of Stars at one point, but I can't remember. Elliott always seems to have lot of projects that don't emerge.

There was a side-story that was part of Book 4 or 5 which was cut in its entirety and published later as a separate novella. Apart from that I don't think there was ever a strong plan for more work in this world.

The Duncton books by William Horwood - particularly the first trilogy, which is like ASOIAF but with moles, and Duncton Wood is a beautifully written book.  The second trilogy is OK: I like Rooster, Weeth, Hamble and Fieldfare - but the bad guys are ridiculously OTT.  The bad guys in the first trilogy are much more complex and interesting.

The Warlord trilogy by Bernard Cornwell - best take on the Arthurian legends ever.  I'm enjoying the ongoing Uhtred saga too - but he's no Derfel!

I enjoy ASOIAF - 'twould be nice to get more of those ...

Anything Discworld - but most especially anything featuring the witches. 

And Narnia - always love going back to Narnia.

Fantasy - ASOIAF hands down.  Has there ever been a series with this level of foreshadowing, red herrings, and myriad number of other literary devices??

Sci-Fi - Revelation Space.  The technological/futuristic concepts he creates are second to none imo.

On 7/22/2018 at 1:34 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Is it bad that I've never tried a single page of Dune?

On 7/22/2018 at 2:52 PM, Nictarion said:

Everyone should at least read the first one. 

Agreed that first Dune is must read... everything after that, not as much.

Archived