What’s your all time favorite book series?

Mwm

Robin Hobb's Realm of the Elderlings series.  4 trilogies and a quadrilogy make up the most beautiful series I've ever read.... by a long shot.  The characterization is about as good as it can be, the magic systems are familiar, yet still unique, the plot is interwoven and complex, and as a reader you intimately care about each of the characters.  I laughed out loud, fist pumped while riding the bus, and openly wept multiple times while reading it.  I just can't say enough good things.

The Second Apocalypse despite my not finishing TUC. No author has ever been as provocative and thought provoking as R Scott Bakker. Not to me, at least.

I liked the Death Gate Cycle too. IMO, was quite innovative and full of memorable characters. I remember being super excited when a new book would come out.

5 hours ago, aceluby said:

Robin Hobb's Realm of the Elderlings series.  4 trilogies and a quadrilogy make up the most beautiful series I've ever read.... by a long shot.  The characterization is about as good as it can be, the magic systems are familiar, yet still unique, the plot is interwoven and complex, and as a reader you intimately care about each of the characters.  I laughed out loud, fist pumped while riding the bus, and openly wept multiple times while reading it.  I just can't say enough good things.

I’ve gotta try these books...have the first Farseer and Liveships, but so much to read beforehand!

Anne McCaffrey's Chronicles of Pern.

Not all the books are great, but the series as a whole most definitely is and Dragonflight as a standalone is my favourite fantasy book ever! For years it was the book I read every time I ran out of books to read until I can get my hands on something new.

On 7/2/2018 at 5:33 PM, Jo498 said:

Arthur Ransome: Swallows and Amazons

One of my favourites also. And such an easy step to another of my favourites. Patrick O'Brian's Jack Aubrey and Dr Maturin series. I wish I could rediscover both. 

40 minutes ago, maarsen said:

One of my favourites also. And such an easy step to another of my favourites. Patrick O'Brian's Jack Aubrey and Dr Maturin series. I wish I could rediscover both. 

O'Brian is also a great answer to the other post about series with the kind of deep world detailing like GoT. 

On 7/4/2018 at 12:17 AM, maarsen said:

The crazy thing is that I discovered Swallows and Amazons only as an adult in my early/mid 30s (the books are virtually unknown in Germany although about five were translated decades ago, they have been out of print since a long time) and absolutely loved the first book, so I basically bought and read all of them during one summer. There are admittedly a few "duds", at least some I found considerably weaker (namely the two without the actual Swallows and Amazons: Coot Club and Big Six, and probably also Missee Lee that has not aged so well with Latin and interwar/colonial clichés of Chinese culture although I am old enough for having learned the first at school and encountered the second in plenty of other books). But the best ones, namely the first one, Swallowdale, Winter holiday and Pigeon Post are magic and among the best (not only children's) books I have encountered.

To my embarrassment I got stuck in the first Aubrey&Maturin rather early... I have to try again at some stage as I love nautic literature and everybody seems to love O'Brian.

3 hours ago, Jo498 said:

The crazy thing is that I discovered Swallows and Amazons only as an adult in my early/mid 30s (there are virtually unknown in Germany although about five were translated decades ago, they have been out of print since a long time) and absolutely loved the first book, so I basically bought and read all of them during one summer. There are admittedly a few "duds", at least some I found considerably weaker (namely the two without the actual Swallows and Amazons: Coot Club and Big Six, and probably also Missie Lee that has not aged so well with Latin and interwar/colonial clichés of Chinese culture although I am old enough for having learned the first at school and encountered the second in plenty of other books). But the best ones, namely the first one, Swallowdale, Winter holiday and Pigeon Post are magic and among the best (not only children's) books I have encountered.

To my embarrassment I got stuck in the first Aubrey&Maturin rather early... I have to try again at some stage as I love nautic literature and everybody seems to love O'Brian.

I got stuck the first time also. When I went back and tried again, it all unfolded like a splendid flower. It is a bit difficult but worth the effort. 

On 7/2/2018 at 1:19 PM, aceluby said:

Seconded! I don't think anything will ever top the journey these books take you on. I could re-read this series and this series alone for the rest of my life and always find something new in them. 

I'll definitely give an honourable mention to Hobb and the Realm of the Elderlings. However my top pick has to be Bujold's Vorkosigan series. I think Bujold is just as good at characterization and inter-character relationships as Hobb is, but has more range when it comes to storytelling. Notably, she can do comedy just as well as the more serious dramatic stuff.

On 7/4/2018 at 5:36 PM, shortstark said:

Add me to the Fandom of Hobb, honourable mention to Abraham's Long Price Quartet 

The Long Price Quartet is probably my second favorite too! 

Well, someone really has to say "A song of ice and fire" :D There is just something wonderful about characters that I find uniquely captivating. It's not perfect but I truly love it. 

My childhood years belong to Tolkien, Lewis and Rowling, I have a special place in my heart for "Wheel of Time" due to numerous people around me loving it. Prattchet's Discworld remains one of the best fantasy things I have read and King, Erikson, Sanderson, Abercrombie, Lukyanenko and Goodkind are among favorites. 

Archived