Mwm

What’s your all time favorite book series?

On 7/2/2018 at 5:53 PM, Dora Vee said:

Dune was six books. And it's also a favorite of mine. :)

Dune was one book, and it is a classic. 

Hmmm. Obviously ASOIAF for many reasons that I don't need to elaborate here (but also because it literally changed my life thanks to this board and the bwb). Pern for its formative role in my reading history, although I have barely read it as an adult.

But currently? A series that I can read again and again, and that I do still read once a year?

Bujold's Wide Green World Series. Besides being beautifully written and having prominent but sensitive details about gender issues, the series' fantasy world, magic system, and Big Bad are really unlike any other series out there. I mean, the Big Bad, instead of being rooted in 'evil' or greed' is based on medical concepts: the Big Bad is basically a cancer in the landscape that grows and grows and has to be fought off one outbreak at a time.

It's really cool stuff and one of the most sophisticated examples of fantasy world treatments that I've come across. And its just a great story.

Mine is probably Harry Potter. Don't get me wrong, it's not among the best books I've read, and I'm not in any hurry to re-read anytime soon. But it's my favourite in that I grew up with it, I really feel like it's a generational thing, I was about the same age as the protagonists all through the series, I matured as the books did. That makes it really special to me. 

Oh yeah, Harry Potter is kind of a given for me, too. Good call. Probably my top comfort read. When I just want to read something uncomplicated and emotionally affecting, that's the go-to series. Reading HP just makes me feel good.

Acts of Caine just jumped into the running.  Absolutely amazing books, and except for about 3-400 pages during Blade of Tyshalle, I couldn't put them down.

On 7/31/2018 at 5:10 PM, aceluby said:

Acts of Caine just jumped into the running.  Absolutely amazing books, and except for about 3-400 pages during Blade of Tyshalle, I couldn't put them down.

Same.  They are mesmerizing.

Kind of hard for me to name a favorite these days.  The Caine books were my obvious answer for a long while, but I'm not sure if that brand of in-your-face grit would appeal to me in the same way now.  Ice and Fire was up there but the TV show kind of took something away from the special appeal of the books (unfair view maybe, but it is what it is).  I was big into Malazan for a while until Fall of Light--that was like hitting a brick wall.

Probably have to go with Wolfe's Sun books (Long Sun if I'm picking one).