NHL 2021 - Another Season Same Thread

Nictarion

The 2018 HHoF class was announced today and to no one’s surprise Marty Brodeur will be leading the class. I know I’m biased, but to me he’s the GOAT. I won’t argue too much with anyone that puts Hasek or Roy in the top spot as you can honestly make a case for any of the three, but here’s just some of Marty’s accolades:

3-time Stanley Cup winner 

4 Vezina trophies 

Calder trophy

10 All-Star selections

2 Gold medals

Most wins for a goalie (691)

Most shutouts (125)

On 6/26/2018 at 4:12 PM, Nictarion said:

The 2018 HHoF class was announced today and to no one’s surprise Marty Brodeur will be leading the class. I know I’m biased, but to me he’s the GOAT. I won’t argue too much with anyone that puts Hasek or Roy in the top spot as you can honestly make a case for any of the three, but here’s just some of Marty’s accolades:

As a Ranger fan... I am of the opinion that Martin Broduer is the best goalie of my lifetime... with respect to the two you mentioned.

Speaking of the Rangers, they are rebuilding.... which means that we'll trade a few future all-stars for other team's salary dumps... and bring in a former star well past his prime 

5 years, 16 million for Jack Johnson? Seems inevitable, but I do not like the length of the contract for a guy who seems like the wheels are falling off and is 31. Bad move for the Pens imo if/when it happens.

On the Tavares front, I was listening to the radio this morning and the Leafs were reported to be making a very strong push. That'd be an interesting landing place for him with a young and fast team.

I am surprised. As a Leafs fan, with like 1 out of every 3 or so guys being from the area, this ‘homecoming’ thing gets thrown around all the time with free agents, and pretty much never goes anywhere, so you just get conditioned to kinda avoid getting sucked in. 

So, yeah, this feels different. 

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

I might’ve overreacted about y’all winning a cup so soon but I think JT firmly makes you a contender. Could use a top pairing D Man maybe though. 

They have plenty of good young players to trade for Erik Karlsson...

Can't believe Isles let him go for nothing. Must've thought he'd never leave them. I would've been strongly tempted to deal him by the deadline this year when he didn't put pen to paper. Easy to say now though. When you think about it, NY should've seen this coming. Hometown team, Maple Leafs, strong talent there already vs NYI who can't seem to find a home (though I'm aware they'll have their own rink within a couple years), coaches going in and out (Trotz too little too late I guess), and not much success in his tenure there thus far. Right time to make a change at 27 years old. Good on him. 

On 7/1/2018 at 8:21 PM, l2 0 5 5 said:

Can't believe Isles let him go for nothing. Must've thought he'd never leave them. I would've been strongly tempted to deal him by the deadline this year when he didn't put pen to paper. Easy to say now though. When you think about it, NY should've seen this coming. Hometown team, Maple Leafs, strong talent there already vs NYI who can't seem to find a home (though I'm aware they'll have their own rink within a couple years), coaches going in and out (Trotz too little too late I guess), and not much success in his tenure there thus far. Right time to make a change at 27 years old. Good on him. 

The Islanders are one of the consistently worst run teams in professional sports.  Only the Browns, Jets and Knicks are worse, although maybe the Islanders are actually worse than 2/3rds of those.  I can't see how or why they think not tanking this year for a pick would be a good idea though.  But true to form, they probably won't, will be mediocre again, get a mediocre pick, and we'll do this for another 30 years or so.  They got lucky with Barzal, seems unlikely to happen much more often and free agents are not going to sign with a team with so much drama on where they'll even be playing, among everything else.  I can't see Trotz being there for more than 2 years, realistically, if that.  I honestly feel bad for him...

Ducks are retiring Paul Kariya and Scott Niedermayer’s numbers. Niedermayer is still the toughest loss for any Devils fan, but it’s cool to see him have his number retired by two different teams. Special honor for a special player. 

• 1 month later...

Having watched them closely when Wings and Pens played back to back Finals in 2008 and 2009, I can say there's never been two players on the same team I've feared more than Zetterberg/Datsyuk. Played both ends of the ice with the utmost intensity, and were both in their prime. Eff I hated watching us play against them. Legends.

Archived