Jump to content
Nictarion

NHL: 2019-20

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

The Blues had their number on the physicality end last game. Let's see how the Bruins respond.

It was a good response. The Bergeron line appropriately acted like they had something to prove. They've been slow starters in every series these playoffs, I hope this is how they will play the rest of the way. They'd been getting outworked and outplayed by the Schenn line in both games. Marchand was unforgivable in game 2, screwed up twice on the Tarasenko goal, and Pastrnak has been a liability most of the playoffs. I'll always wonder how professional athletes can dog it like that one game and then flip the switch the next. But tonight was an absolute clinic even by their standards. It helped that Binnington was... not good.

I guess now we see how the Blues respond in the next one, and how well the Bruins sustain this kind of execution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

It was a good response. The Bergeron line appropriately acted like they had something to prove. They've been slow starters in every series these playoffs, I hope this is how they will play the rest of the way. They'd been getting outworked and outplayed by the Schenn line in both games. Marchand was unforgivable in game 2, screwed up twice on the Tarasenko goal, and Pastrnak has been a liability most of the playoffs. I'll always wonder how professional athletes can dog it like that one game and then flip the switch the next. But tonight was an absolute clinic even by their standards. It helped that Binnington was... not good.

I guess now we see how the Blues respond in the next one, and how well the Bruins sustain this kind of execution.

Yeah, and the Bruins power play was ridiculously great, 4 for 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great game. Best of 3 now. 

I didn’t really think STL had much of a chance in this series but I’m glad they’re proving me wrong. 

The ROR deal is looking better and better for the Blues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good response by the Blues. They outplayed and outhit the Bruins all damn game. Even the damn power play. Tuukka kept them in it for as long as he could.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chara is going to play tonight despite having a broken jaw. People here have been comparing it to Schilling in 2004, but it's much more dangerous and pretty scary. I hope it all works out okay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Chara is going to play tonight despite having a broken jaw. People here have been comparing it to Schilling in 2004, but it's much more dangerous and pretty scary. I hope it all works out okay.

He was quite a sight last game skating around with that full shield on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, terrible no call there.

Even still, Boston fans throwing shit on the ice isn’t a good look. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm pretty mad about the no-call there and the goal that followed five seconds after when the Bruins should have been on a power play. That's quite a swing in events. But I admit I can't be certain the Bruins would have won if they had gotten that call. Binnington mostly outplayed Rask tonight, the game itself was up and down, and the Bruins missed some golden chances.

I recognize that as a Bruins fan I can't really complain about gooning it up in the Final. But I also recognize that these Bruins are not the same Bruins as before. Their best players are kinda small, and they have relied much more on speed and skill lately than the old physical style. There's no more Thornton, Seidenberg and Boychuk. Chara can swat people around from pure limb leverage, sure. The closest they have, I guess, to an older Bruin archetype is David Backes, who has not been useful in this series. The Bruins are getting the brunt of the physical play in this series. They are just wearing down. Also, getting two guys concussed by a borderline hit and a slewfoot will hurt your chances.

I guess this is what it felt like to be a Canucks fan in 2011? Watching your smaller, more skilled team get worn down over the course of a heavy-hitting series from a bigger team? Ugh. Two more games, but I don't feel confident.

Edited by DanteGabriel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this not karma for the Patriots getting a bye to the playoffs every year. Different sport I know but same fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Zuzu Bolin said:

Is this not karma for the Patriots getting a bye to the playoffs every year. Different sport I know but same fans.

How competitive should the AFC East be in order for the Bruins to get a call on an obvious slewfoot that injured a player and caused a turnover that led directly to a goal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

How competitive should the AFC East be in order for the Bruins to get a call on an obvious slewfoot that injured a player and caused a turnover that led directly to a goal?

It’s obviously a mandate from the league. Bettman doesn’t want to have to hand the Conn Smythe to Marchand. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

It’s obviously a mandate from the league. Bettman doesn’t want to have to hand the Conn Smythe to Marchand. :P

He did eight years ago (well actually to Chara) but Marchand wasn't Marchand then...

I am intrigued by this notion that karma can cross sports though. Like maybe the Celtics wouldn't have imploded this year if the Steelers could have gotten their shit together late in the season any time in the last ten years and kept the Pats from taking a first round bye? Can we trade these? I'd trade the last Pats championship for a Cup. Or can I mortgage a season of Mookie Betts to get Bergeron healthy and Krejci effective?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

He did eight years ago (well actually to Chara) but Marchand wasn't Marchand then...

I thought Tim Thomas won it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

How competitive should the AFC East be in order for the Bruins to get a call on an obvious slewfoot that injured a player and caused a turnover that led directly to a goal?

Retroactively swap Dallas and Philly with Buffalo and the Dolphins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Zuzu Bolin said:

Retroactively swap Dallas and Philly with Buffalo and the Dolphins.

Why Dallas and Philly?  The Eagles are a pretty good organization, but Dallas has been only marginally better than Buffalo or Miami over the past twenty years.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, 32 franchises in the NFL and the two worst run are the Redskins and the Jets so you couldn't have them in the same division - that would be perverse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zuzu Bolin said:

Well, 32 franchises in the NFL and the two worst run are the Redskins and the Jets so you couldn't have them in the same division - that would be perverse

*ahem*

my Bengals are as poorly run as any franchise! Would any other team retain a HC for 16 years without a single playoff win? George HW Bush was in office last time we won a postseason game...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bengals are a sore subject with me. Last year I had a nice little treble - Bengals o6.5 wins, Red Sox for the World Series at 11/4 and a horse I liked for the Cheltenham Festival in March. I had the first bet as won when they started the season so well.

At least they have been to the playoffs on a semi regular basis plus playing in the same division as Baltimore and Pittsburgh is brutal. Put them in a softer division and there must be a chance the likes of Green and Eifort are healthier. I think they've been a tad unlucky,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×