NHL 2021 - Another Season Same Thread

Nictarion

Has anyone listened to any games on the radio?  I was listening to a bit of game 1 of the Oilers and Hawks, and fan noise was added.  It sounds completely ridiculous.  I've never heard fans so consistently excited at every play in the game, including icings and after the period ends.

46 minutes ago, Rubicante said:

Has anyone listened to any games on the radio?  I was listening to a bit of game 1 of the Oilers and Hawks, and fan noise was added.  It sounds completely ridiculous.  I've never heard fans so consistently excited at every play in the game, including icings and after the period ends.

Fan noise has been added on all the tv broadcasts, too. 

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Aho is a baller

Yeah, the Canes are fun team to watch between him, Svechnikov, and Teravainen. 

Glad your Preds won. The Devils need Arizona to lose this play-in (we have their 1st round pick), but not win the lottery. 

Pens have become the post-Cup Zetterberg/Datsyuk Red Wings. Talent, but not on the level they were going back to back in '16 and '17. Hell of a run, but they aren't contenders anymore. Time to pick a Western team to follow for the rest of the playoffs...

59 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Pens have become the post-Cup Zetterberg/Datsyuk Red Wings. Talent, but not on the level they were going back to back in '16 and '17. Hell of a run, but they aren't contenders anymore. Time to pick a Western team to follow for the rest of the playoffs...

Well, now you have a 12.5% chance at Laf...

LIke I said, #1 draft pick for Edmonton coming...

As for Pittsburgh. The two generational players (Malkin and Crosby) should be good for 1-2 more cups, before the sun sets over their career. Funny, when you think about it, you feel like the Pens really should have gotten a few more cups out of them. 3 cups is not bad, but it should've been more like 5-6.

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

LIke I said, #1 draft pick for Edmonton coming...

As for Pittsburgh. The two generational players (Malkin and Crosby) should be good for 1-2 more cups, before the sun sets over their career. Funny, when you think about it, you feel like the Pens really should have gotten a few more cups out of them. 3 cups is not bad, but it should've been more like 5-6.

Probably not when you factor in Chicago. Kane and Toews isn’t quite Crosby and Malkin, but when you add in Duncan Keith, and Joel Quennville behind the bench, they had a pretty good dynasty of their own. 

I mean, those stacked Red Wings teams of the late 90’s/00’s “only” won 4. Partially because you had a team like the Devils also winning multiple Cups during that time. 

20 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Probably not when you factor in Chicago. Kane and Toews isn’t quite Crosby and Malkin, but when you add in Duncan Keith, and Joel Quennville behind the bench, they had a pretty good dynasty of their own. 

I mean, those stacked Red Wings teams of the late 90’s/00’s “only” won 4. Partially because you had a team like the Devils also winning multiple Cups during that time. 

Yeah, but you had like a seven year drought between their first and their second cup. Saying that there could've/should've been able to get two more in those years is not such an outlandish claim in my book. At least when you think of them as arguably two of the best three players of their generation (Ovechkin is the third guy, and you can argue ad nauseam who of them is #1 #2 #3).

Also, you forgot the Avs with Forsberg, Roy, and Sakic during that late 90s period. Forsberg was just an absolute beast.

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yeah, but you had like a seven year drought between their first and their second cup. Saying that there could've/should've been able to get two more in those years is not such an outlandish claim in my book. At least when you think of them as arguably two of the best three players of their generation (Ovechkin is the third guy, and you can argue ad nauseam who of them is #1 #2 #3).

Also, you forgot the Avs with Forsberg, Roy, and Sakic during that late 90s period. Forsberg was just an absolute beast.

Hockey is not basketball though. It takes more than one or two star players. No matter how good they are. Just look at Edmonton right now with McDavid and Draisaitl. 

14 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Hockey is not basketball though. It takes more than one or two star players. No matter how good they are. Just look at Edmonton right now with McDavid and Draisaitl. 

Yeah, Edmonton are a joke, and have been the the number one running gag with the entry draft for a reason. Maybe they'll get their act sorted this time and challenge within the next three years. J/K, of course they won't.

Anyway, obviously you need more than two players, and the failure to properly built around the two generational players is part of the problem. Like I said, 3 cups for the time you had with Crosby and Malkin feels a bit meagre. Fleury, while certainly not Brodeur, Haskek or Roy, or even Luongo levels or elite, was and still is a good goalie of his own, so it's not like everybody apart from them was rubbish.

Archived