NHL 2021 - Another Season Same Thread

Nictarion

21 minutes ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

Bolts-Isles on the other side of the bracket for the second year in a row. Crazy how New York is playing hockey right now, next man up mentality, since their captain went down 3 months ago. 

Lou Lamoriello made some nice trades at the deadline bringing in Palmieri and Zajac. And there’s not a better coach in all the league than Barry Trotz, imo. I think Tampa will take the series, but what NY has done the last couple years is certainly impressive. Meanwhile, Tavares and the Leafs inability to get out of the 1st round must make Isles fans feel good. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm not a big hockey fan, but I've had this game on in the background while I read and cleaned and it's like a comedy show. 8-0 is a videogame score.

Yeha that was a complete beat down. Tampa Bay was blowing thru the neutral zone basically unchecked 

11 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So Habs vs. Isles in the Final might actually be happening. Feels like a while since we had a proper final without any Mickey Mouse teams from Florida or Nevada.

Still rooting for the Habs.

5th time ever in the postseason I believe, plus seeing as they are in the same conference normally, they will never meet again in the finals.

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is hockey popular in Germany?

Sorta...

I mean popularity is relative. There's football (actual football, what you call soccer). That rules supreme. It's basically to Germany, what hockey is to Canada put on steroids. Anything else is living in its shadows.

Second is probably Basketball. The amount of money in it, it's not even pennies to dollars compared to King Football.

Then in third or fourth place, I'd put (Ice)-hockey and Handball. With a bit more of a regional divide, I think. Up here in the north it's probably handball over hockey hands down. Down in the south and in the west (well, and in Berlin) it's probably the other way round. The DEB (hockey federation) kinda hopes that Leon Draisaitl is causing a new boom and draws more kids into the game. Anyway, those sports need spectators, as they don't have the fancy tv deals football has. But both have a history in German sport.

American football also exists in Germany. It's just not particularly big, but it has growth potential with NFL games now being broadcasted on free tv. So that one is slowly but surely growing.

Baseball is an absolute niche thing, it's just too boring and nobody pays attention to it. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if you could afford the broadcasting rights to German Baseball for the American market out of your own pocket. It's really that marginal.

Interesting. I would have guessed skiing would have been on the list. Always find it fascinating to learn what sports are popular in countries outside of the U.S.

I'm surprised handball isn't more popular here because it does look like a lot of fun, but I guess the counterpoint would be that you'd only play handball if you could play (American) football or basketball. 

Archived